- •Recovery of communication after severe acquired brain injury was investigated in an inpatient rehabilitation setting.
- •Half of patients recover functional communication within 7 weeks postinjury.
- •Referral to rehabilitation in severe acute cases should be encouraged because late recovery of communication is possible.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CRS-R (Coma Recovery Scale-Revised), DoC (disorders of consciousness), FC (functional communication), IC (intentional communication), IQR (interquartile range)
- Brain function in coma, vegetative state, and related disorders.Lancet Neurol. 2004; 3: 537-546
- Needs of stroke survivors as perceived by their caregivers: a scoping review.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 96: 487-505
- Assessment of needs, psychological impact and quality of life in families of patients with locked-in syndrome.Brain Inj. 2017; 31: 1590-1596
- Recovery of communicative functions after prolonged traumatic coma.Scand J Rehabil Med. 1978; 10: 15-21
- Recovery of patients after four months or more in the persistent vegetative state.BMJ. 1993; 306: 1597
- The JFK Coma Recovery Scale-Revised: measurement characteristics and diagnostic utility.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 2020
- Behavioral recovery in disorders of consciousness: a prospective study with the Spanish version of the coma recovery scale-revised.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 428
- Behavioral recovery and early decision making in patients with prolonged disturbance in consciousness after traumatic brain injury.J. Neurotrauma. 2020; 37: 357
- Can we scientifically and reliably measure the level of consciousness in vegetative and minimally conscious states?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 527-535
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Medical aspects of the persistent vegetative state (2).N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 1572-1579
- Emergence from minimally conscious state: insights from evaluation of posttraumatic confusion.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1120-1126
- Effects of timing and intensity of neurorehabilitation on functional outcome after traumatic brain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 1149-1159
- Technologies and strategies for people with communication problems following brain injury or stroke.NeuroRehabilitation. 2011; 28: 199-209
- Emotional and social repercussions of stroke on patient-family caregiver dyads: analysis of diverging attitudes and profiles of the differing dyads.PLoS One. 2019; 14 (e0215425)
- Functional outcomes in traumatic disorders of consciousness: 5-year outcomes from the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1855-1860
Supported by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (grant no. 90DPTB0011 ), which is a Center within the Administration for Community Living , Department of Health and Human Services , University of Liège (LEAR Foundation), the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, Wallonie-Bruxelles International (WBI.World), Tiny Blue Dot Foundation, and the James S. McDonnell Foundation.