- •Predatory physical therapy journals publish randomized controlled trials of lower quality and have shorter times for peer review process than journals not included in Beall's list.
- •Due to the great number of papers published by predatory physical therapy journals, there is a clear risk that predatory publishers substantially contribute to the dissemination of unsound research findings.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals), NPJ (nonpredatory journal), PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database), PJ (predatory journal), RCT (randomized controlled trial)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Time to stop talking about ‘predatory journals’.Learn Publ. 2018; 31: 181-183
- Criteria for determining predatory open-access publishers.2nd ed. Scholarly Open Access, Denver2012
- Potential predatory and legitimate biomedical journals: can you tell the difference? A cross-sectional comparison.BMC Med. 2017; 15: 28
- Avoiding predatory journals: quick peer review processes too good to be true.Nurs Forum. 2019; 54: 336-339
- Study of predatory open access nursing journals.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2016; 48: 624-632
- Predatory publishing in orthopedic research.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: e138
- Scales to assess the quality of randomized controlled trials: a systematic review.Phys Ther. 2008; 88: 156-175
- Who publishes in predatory journals?.J Assoc Inf Sci Technol. 2015; 66: 1406-1417
- Stop this waste of people, animals and money.Nature. 2017; 549: 23-25
- Predatory open access in rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1051-1056
- Growth in the Physiotherapy Evidence Database (PEDro) and use of the PEDro scale.Br J Sports Med. 2013; 47: 188-189
- Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials.Phys Ther. 2003; 83: 713-721
- Quality of articles published in predatory nursing journals.Nurs Outlook. 2018; 66: 4-10
- Medical publishing triage - chronicling predatory open access publishers.Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2013; 2: 47-49
- Predatory journals threaten the quality of published medical research.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 3-5
- Predatory journals: the worst thing in publishing, ever.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 1-2
- Predatory publications in evidence syntheses.J Med Libr Assoc. 2019; 107: 57-61
- Why we should worry less about predatory publishers and more about the quality of research and training at our academic institutions.J Epidemiol. 2017; 27: 87-88
- Investigating journals: the dark side of publishing.Nature. 2013; 495: 433-435
- The surge of predatory open-access in neurosciences and neurology.Neuroscience. 2017; 353: 166-173
- Caution with the continued use of Jeffrey Beall’s “predatory” open access publishing lists.AME Med J. 2017; 2: 97