- •Cardiac rehabilitation (CR) results in improvement in exercise capacity and health-related quality of life (HRQOL).
- •The improvements in exercise capacity and HRQOL persist during long-term follow-up.
- •Exercise capacity and the global and physical aspect of quality of life are weakly associated.
- •The association between exercise capacity and HRQOL is independent of timing relative to CR.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:6MWT (6-Minute Walk Test), ACS (acute coronary syndrome), CABG (coronary artery bypass graft), CAD (coronary artery disease), CI (confidence interval), CR (cardiac rehabilitation), CVD (cardiovascular disease), HRQOL (health-related quality of life), OPTICARE (Optimal Cardiac Rehabilitation), RCT (randomized controlled trial)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Morbidity & mortality: 2012 chart book on cardiovascular, lung, and blood diseases.(Available at:)https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/research/2012_ChartBook_508.pdfDate accessed: September 18, 2018
- Heart disease and stroke statistics--2011 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: e18-209
- Economic burden of illness of acute coronary syndromes: medical and productivity costs.BMC Health Serv Res. 2011; 11: 35
- Population trends of recurrent coronary heart disease event rates remain high.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011; 4: 107-113
- Cost of care for new versus recurrent acute coronary syndrome patients.J Med Econ. 2008; 11: 81-99
- Secondary prevention after a myocardial infarction.(Available at:)https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs99Date accessed: October 12, 2019
- Core components, standards and outcome measures for referral and delivery: a policy statement from the cardiac rehabilitation section of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation. Endorsed by the Committee for Practice Guidelines of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2014; 21: 664-681
- The effect of a comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation program on 60-day hospital readmissions after an acute myocardial infarction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: E597
- Exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation for coronary heart disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 7: CD001800
- Efficacy of exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation post-myocardial infarction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Am Heart J. 2011; 162: 571-584
- Cardiac rehabilitation and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 892-902
- Cardiac rehabilitation and exercise training in secondary coronary heart disease prevention.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2011; 53: 397-403
- Changes in cardiorespiratory fitness, psychological wellbeing, quality of life, and vocational status following a 12 month cardiac exercise rehabilitation programme.Heart. 1999; 81: 359-366
- The effect of cardiac rehabilitation on health-related quality of life in patients with coronary artery disease: a meta-analysis.Can J Cardiol. 2019; 35: 352-364
- Critical review of factors predicting health-related quality of life in newly diagnosed coronary artery disease patients.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2013; 28: 277-284
- Benefits of exercise training and the correlation between aerobic capacity and functional outcomes and quality of life in elderly patients with coronary artery disease.Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2014; 30: 521-530
- Relationship of health-related quality of life with fatigue and exercise capacity in patients with coronary artery disease.Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2014; 13: 338-344
- Relationship between quality of life and aerobic capacity of patients entering phase II cardiac rehabilitation after coronary artery bypass graft surgery.J Chin Med Assoc. 2012; 75: 121-126
- Relationship of fatigue and exercise capacity with emotional and physical state in patients with coronary artery disease admitted for rehabilitation program.Am Heart J. 2011; 162: 310-316
- OPTImal CArdiac REhabilitation (OPTICARE) following acute coronary syndromes: rationale and design of a randomised, controlled trial to investigate the benefits of expanded educational and behavioural intervention programs.Neth Heart J. 2013; 21: 324-330
- Improving guideline adherence for cardiac rehabilitation in the Netherlands.Neth Heart J. 2011; 19: 285-289
- Revision of the Dutch clinical algorithm for assessing patient needs in cardiac rehabilitation based on identified implementation problems.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2012; 19: 504-514
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale depression subscale, but not the Beck Depression Inventory-Fast Scale, identifies patients with acute coronary syndrome at elevated risk of 1-year mortality.J Psychosom Res. 2006; 60: 461-467
- Validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and Patient Health Questionnaire-9 to screen for depression in patients with coronary artery disease.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2007; 29: 417-424
- Quality of life after myocardial infarction: translation and validation of the MacNew Questionnaire for a Dutch population.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 1483-1488
- The MacNew heart disease health-related quality of life instrument: reference data for users.Qual Life Res. 2002; 11: 173-183
- ATS statement: guidelines for the six-minute walk test.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 111-117
- The 6-minute walk test in outpatient cardiac rehabilitation: validity, reliability and responsiveness--a systematic review.Physiotherapy. 2012; 98: 277-286
- Determining the minimal clinically important difference for the six-minute walk test and the 200-meter fast-walk test during cardiac rehabilitation program in coronary artery disease patients after acute coronary syndrome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 611-619
- Applied longitudinal data analysis for epidemiology: a practical guide.Cambridge University Press, New York2013
- Correlation between quality of life and functional capacity in cardiac failure.Arq Bras Cardiol. 2010; 95: 238-243
- Six-minute walk performance and quality of life comparisons in North Carolina cardiac rehabilitation programs.Heart Lung. 2003; 32: 41-51
- Depression and health-related quality of life in people with coronary heart disease: a systematic review.Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2012; 11: 265-275
- Gender differences and determinants of health related quality of life in coronary patients: a follow-up study.BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2011; 11: 24
- The 6-min walking test early after cardiac surgery. Reference values and the effects of rehabilitation programme.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007; 32: 724-729
- Cardiac rehabilitation in low- and middle-income countries: a review on cost and cost-effectiveness.Int Health. 2016; 8: 77-82
- Effectiveness of cardiac rehabilitation among older patients after acute myocardial infarction.Am Heart J. 2015; 170: 855-864
- Effects of exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation in patients after percutaneous coronary intervention: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 44789
- The long-term benefits of cardiac rehabilitation on depression, anxiety, physical activity and quality of life.J Clin Nurs. 2010; 19: 2806-2813
- Outcomes at one-year follow-up of women and men with coronary artery disease discharged from cardiac rehabilitation: what benefits are maintained?.J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2007; 27 (quiz 9-20): 11-18
- Maintenance of exercise capacity and physical activity patterns 2 years after cardiac rehabilitation.J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2005; 25 (quiz 2-3): 14-21
- Cardiac rehabilitation in patients who underwent primary percutaneous coronary intervention for acute myocardial infarction: determinants of programme participation and completion.Neth Heart J. 2017; 25: 618-628
- Non-attendance and drop-out in cardiac rehabilitation among patients with ischaemic heart disease.Dan Med J. 2014; 61: A4919
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT01395095.
Supported by the Capri Cardiac Rehabilitation Rotterdam and the Zilveren Kruis Healthcare Insurance Company (grant no. Z687).