Advertisement

Treating Military Spouses in the Private Sector: Education Page and Resources for Health Care Providers

Published:January 28, 2020DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2019.12.002
      More than 50% of active duty service members are married, for a total of almost 700,000 military spouses.
      U. S. Department of Defense
      2017 demographics: profile of the military community.
      Domestic partners are undercounted by the Department of Defense but are just as critical as a support system for their service member so they are included under the umbrella term of spouse. Most of the military spouses are women and younger than 40 years.
      U. S. Department of Defense
      2017 demographics: profile of the military community.
      Although about 10% of spouses are also service members, the remaining 90% are civilians who are referred to as dependent (as are their children) in the Department of Defense. However, not all military spouses or partners are dependents in the Department of Defense benefits system.
      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

        • U. S. Department of Defense
        2017 demographics: profile of the military community.
        (Available at:)
        • Ciarleglio M.M.
        • Aslan M.
        • Proctor S.P.
        • et al.
        Associations of stress exposures and social support with long-term mental health outcomes among US Iraq War veterans.
        Behav Ther. 2018; 49: 653-667
        • Han S.C.
        • Castro F.
        • Lee L.O.
        • et al.
        Military unit support, postdeployment social support, and PTSD symptoms among active duty and National Guard soldiers deployed to Iraq.
        J Anxiety Disord. 2014; 28: 446-453
        • Moore T.M.
        • Risbrough V.B.
        • Baker D.G.
        • et al.
        Effects of military service and deployment on clinical symptomatology: the role of trauma exposure and social support.
        J Psychiatr Res. 2017; 95: 121-128
        • Asbury E.T.
        • Martin D.
        Military deployment and the spouse left behind.
        Fam J Couns Ther Couples Fam. 2012; 20: 45-50
        • Larsen J.L.
        • Clauss-Ehlers C.S.
        • Cosden M.A.
        An exploration of Army wives’ responses to spousal deployment: stressors and protective factors.
        Couple Family Psychol. 2015; 4: 212-228
        • Padden D.L.
        • Connors R.A.
        • Agazio J.G.
        Stress, coping, and well-being in military spouses during deployment separation.
        West J Nurs Res. 2011; 33: 247-267
        • Riggs S.A.
        • Riggs D.S.
        Risk and resilience in military families experiencing deployment: the role of the family attachment network.
        J Fam Psychol. 2011; 25: 675-687
        • Wang Z.
        • Pullman L.E.
        Financial stress, financial stability, and military spousal well-being.
        J Mil Veteran Fam Health. 2019; 5: 82-91
        • Blue Star Families
        2018 military family lifestyle survey comprehensive report.
        (Available at:)
        https://bluestarfam.org/survey/
        Date accessed: April 1, 2019
        • Ott L.E.
        • Morgan K.
        Impact of military lifestyle on military spouses’ educational and career goals.
        J Res Edu. 2018; 28: 30-61
        • Borah E.
        • Fina B.
        Military spouses speak up: a qualitative study of military and veteran spouses’ perspectives.
        J Fam Soc Work. 2017; 20: 144-161
        • Maury R.V.
        • Stone B.
        Military spouse employment report.
        (Available at:)
        • Lara-Cinisomo S.
        • Chandra A.
        • Burns R.M.
        • et al.
        A mixed-method approach to understanding the experiences of non-deployed military caregivers.
        Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 374-384
        • Wang M.
        • Nyutu P.
        • Tran K.
        • Spears A.
        Finding resilience: the mediation effect of sense of community on the psychological well-being of military spouses.
        J Mental Health Couns. 2015; 37: 164-174