- •Function and frailty both predict adverse outcomes among older adults.
- •The choice of screening measure may depend on clinical context.
- •Results need to be confirmed prospectively using multiple frailty measures.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AUC (area under the curve), BMI (body mass index), ED (emergency department), LLFDI-function (Late Life Function and Disability Instrument-Function component), OR (odds ratio), PASE (Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly), RISE (Rehabilitative Impairment Study of the Elderly), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), SPPB (Short Physical Performance Battery), SRH (self-rated health)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- An aging world.(Available at:)https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2016/demo/p95-16-1.pdfDate: 2015Date accessed: August 22, 2017
- Committee on the Future Health Care Workforce for Older Americans. Retooling for an aging America: building the health care workforce.National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2008
- Falls in the elderly.Am Fam Physician. 2000; 61: 2159-2168
- Framework for evaluating disease severity measures in older adults with comorbidity.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 286-295
- The Boston rehabilitative impairment study of the elderly: a description of methods.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 347-355
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol Med Sci. 2001; 56A: 146-156
- The phenotype of frailty predicts disability and mortality among Mexican community-dwelling elderly.J Frailty Aging. 2012; 1: 111-117
- Frailty and body mass index as predictors of 3-year mortality in older adults living in the community.Gerontology. 2014; 60: 475-482
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: 85-94
- Association between short physical performance battery and falls in older people: the Progetto Veneto Anziani study.Rejuvenation Res. 2014; 17: 276-284
- A comparison of objective physical performance tests and future mortality in the elderly people.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017; 72: 362-368
- Frailty consensus: a call to action.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 392-397
- Frailty syndrome: an overview.Clin Interv Aging. 2014; 9: 433-441
- Frailty assessment instruments: systematic characterization of the uses and contexts of highly-cited instruments.Ageing Res Rev. 2016; 26: 53-61
- Toward a common language of disablement.J Gerontol A Biol Med Sci. 2009; 64A: 1165-1168
- White paper: walking speed: the sixth vital sign.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009; 32: 46-49
- Predictive validity and responsiveness of patient-reported and performance-based measures of function in the Boston RISE study.J Gerontol Med Sci. 2015; : 616-622
- Self-reported function more informative than frailty phenotype in predicting adverse postoperative course in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 2522-2528
- Mobility, balance and frailty in community-dwelling older adults: what is the best 1-year predictor of falls?.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2017; 17: 1463-1469
- Physical performance measures in the clinical setting.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 314-322
- Performance-based physical function in older community-dwelling persons: a systematic review of instruments.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 712-721
- Short physical performance battery and all-cause mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Med. 2016; 14: 215
- Late-Life FDI manual.(Available at:)https://www.bu.edu/sph/files/2011/06/LLFDI_Manual_2006_rev.pdfDate accessed: August 22, 2017
- Psychometric properties of the Late-Life Function and Disability Instrument: a systematic review.BMC Geriatrics. 2014; 14: 12
- Prevalence of frailty in community-dwelling older persons: a systematic review.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1487-1492
- Functional ability among elderly people in three service settings: the discriminatory power of a new functional ability scale.Eur J Epidemiol. 1998; 14: 783-790
- Measurement error and minimum detectable change in 4-meter gait speed in older adults.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2011; 23: 406-412
- The physical activity scale for the elderly (PASE): development and evaluation.J Clin Epidemiol. 1993; 46: 153-162
- Modifications to the frailty phenotype criteria: systematic review of the current literature and investigation of 262 frailty phenotypes in the survey of health, ageing and retirement in Europe.Ageing Res Rev. 2015; 21: 78-94
- Self-rated health and all-cause and cause-specific mortality of older adults: individual data meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies in the CHANCES Consortium.Maturitas. 2017; 103: 37-44
- Little’s test of missing completely at random.Stata J. 2013; 13: 795-809
- Utility of the late life function and disability instrument as an outcome measure in patients participating in outpatient cardiac rehabilitation: a preliminary study.Physiother Can. 2012; 64: 53-62
- Frailty, body mass index, and abdominal obesity in older people.J Gerontol A Biomed Sci Med Sci. 2010; 65A: 377-381
- Body composition as a frailty marker for the elderly community.Clin Interv Aging. 2015; 10: 1661-1667
- Muscle strength: clinical and prognostic value of hand-grip dynamometry.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2015; 18: 465-470
- Development and evaluation of a modification of the Fried frailty criteria using population-independent cutpoints.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 2110-2115
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol A. 2007; 62: 722-727
The original study was supported by the National Institute on Aging (grant no. 5 R01 AG032052-03 ) and the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center , from the National Center for Research Resources (grant no. 1 UL1 RR025758-01 ).