- •Change in peak oxygen consumption per unit time (VO2peak) was highly variable following an 8-week aerobic cycling program.
- •Higher pedaling cadence during cycling was predictive of improvements in VO2peak.
- •Low baseline VO2peak was also predictive of improvements in VO2peak postexercise.
- •Aerobic intensity did not predict change in VO2peak in persons with chronic stroke.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:CPX (cardiopulmonary exercise), FE (forced aerobic exercise), FE+UERTP (forced aerobic exercise and upper extremity repetitive task practice), VE+UERTP (voluntary aerobic exercise and upper extremity repetitive task practice), VE (voluntary aerobic exercise), VO2peak (peak oxygen consumption per unit time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2532-2553
- Age, sex, race, initial fitness, and response to training: the HERITAGE Family Study.J Appl Physiol. 2001; 90: 1770-1776
- Aerobic exercise prescription in stroke rehabilitation: a web-based survey of US physical therapists.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2017; 41: 119-128
- Forced aerobic exercise preceding task practice improves motor recovery poststroke.Am J Occup Ther. 2017; 71 (7102290020p1-9)
- Combined aerobic exercise and task practice improve health-related quality of life poststroke: a preliminary analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 923-930
- Forced, not voluntary, aerobic exercise enhances motor recovery in persons with chronic stroke.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2019; 33: 681-690
- It is not about the bike, it is about the pedaling: forced exercise and Parkinson's disease.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2011; 39: 177-186
- ACSM's resource manual for guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.7th ed. Wolters Kluwer and Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2014
- Predictors of response to exercise training in patients with coronary artery disease - a subanalysis of the SAINTEX-CAD study.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2019; 26: 1158-1163
- Factors associated with change in aerobic capacity following an exercise program for individuals with stroke.J Rehabil Med. 2013; 45: 32-37
- Do functional walk tests reflect cardiorespiratory fitness in sub-acute stroke?.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2006; 3: 23
- Treadmill exercise rehabilitation improves ambulatory function and cardiovascular fitness in patients with chronic stroke: a randomized, controlled trial.Stroke. 2005; 36: 2206-2211
Clinical Trial Registration Nos.: NCT02076776 and NCT02494518.
Supported by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (grant no. R03HD073566) and the American Heart Association (grant no. 15MCPRP25700312). The funders had no role in data collection and analysis or preparation of the manuscript.
Disclosures: Jay L. Alberts has authored intellectual property protecting the algorithm associated with the forced exercise bicycle. The other authors have nothing to disclose.