- •Change in peak oxygen consumption per unit time (VO2peak) was highly variable following an 8-week aerobic cycling program.
- •Higher pedaling cadence during cycling was predictive of improvements in VO2peak.
- •Low baseline VO2peak was also predictive of improvements in VO2peak postexercise.
- •Aerobic intensity did not predict change in VO2peak in persons with chronic stroke.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:CPX (cardiopulmonary exercise), FE (forced aerobic exercise), FE+UERTP (forced aerobic exercise and upper extremity repetitive task practice), VE+UERTP (voluntary aerobic exercise and upper extremity repetitive task practice), VE (voluntary aerobic exercise), VO2peak (peak oxygen consumption per unit time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2532-2553
- Age, sex, race, initial fitness, and response to training: the HERITAGE Family Study.J Appl Physiol. 2001; 90: 1770-1776
- Aerobic exercise prescription in stroke rehabilitation: a web-based survey of US physical therapists.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2017; 41: 119-128
- Forced aerobic exercise preceding task practice improves motor recovery poststroke.Am J Occup Ther. 2017; 71 (7102290020p1-9)
- Combined aerobic exercise and task practice improve health-related quality of life poststroke: a preliminary analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 923-930
- Forced, not voluntary, aerobic exercise enhances motor recovery in persons with chronic stroke.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2019; 33: 681-690
- It is not about the bike, it is about the pedaling: forced exercise and Parkinson's disease.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2011; 39: 177-186
- ACSM's resource manual for guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.7th ed. Wolters Kluwer and Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2014
- Predictors of response to exercise training in patients with coronary artery disease - a subanalysis of the SAINTEX-CAD study.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2019; 26: 1158-1163
- Factors associated with change in aerobic capacity following an exercise program for individuals with stroke.J Rehabil Med. 2013; 45: 32-37
- Do functional walk tests reflect cardiorespiratory fitness in sub-acute stroke?.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2006; 3: 23
- Treadmill exercise rehabilitation improves ambulatory function and cardiovascular fitness in patients with chronic stroke: a randomized, controlled trial.Stroke. 2005; 36: 2206-2211
Supported by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (grant no. R03HD073566 ) and the American Heart Association (grant no. 15MCPRP25700312 ). The funders had no role in data collection and analysis or preparation of the manuscript.
Disclosures: Jay L. Alberts has authored intellectual property protecting the algorithm associated with the forced exercise bicycle. The other authors have nothing to disclose.