- •Steps per day in youth with spina bifida was best predicted by assistive device use.
- •Youth with spina bifida who use assistive devices walk less.
- •Older age, male sex, and higher body mass index correlated with fewer steps per day.
- •Reduced lower extremity strength also related to fewer steps per day.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), HRQL (health-related quality of life), MMT (manual muscle testing), MMC (myelomeningocele), ROM (range of motion), TV (television)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The changing incidence of myelomeningocele and its impact on pediatric neurosurgery: a review from the children’s memorial hospital.Childs Nerv Syst. 2009; 25: 801-806
- Orthopedic management of spina bifida. Part I: hip, knee, and rotational deformities.J Child Orthop. 2009; 3: 441-449
- Orthopaedic management of spina bifida-part II: foot and ankle deformities.J Child Orthop. 2011; 5: 403-414
- Determinants of functional independence and quality of life in children with spina bifida.Clin Rehabil. 2005; 19: 677-685
- Functional ambulation in patients with myelomeningocele.J. Bone Joint Surg Am. 1973; 55: 137-148
- Surgeries and health outcomes among patients with spina bifida.Pediatrics. 2018; 142
- The assessment of weight status in children and young people attending a spina bifida outpatient clinic: a retrospective medical record review.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 2123-2131
- Epidemiology of physical activity and fitness in children and adolescents.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 1993; 33: 403-408
- Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: S164-S192
- Orthopaedic management of high-level spina bifida. Early walking compared with early use of a wheelchair.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1989; 71: 56-61
- Walking activity during daily living in children with myelomeningocele.Disabil Rehabil. 2017; 39: 1422-1427
- An approach for determining quantitative measures for bone volume and bone mass in the pediatric spina bifida population.Clin Biomech (Bristol Avon). 2015; 30: 748-754
- Muscles testing and function.2nd ed. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1971
- Use of the StepWatch Activity Monitor for characterization of normal activity levels of children.J Pediatr Orthop. 2006; 26: 245-249
- Use of step activity monitoring for continuous physical activity assessment in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 802-808
- Utility of a step activity monitor for the measurement of daily ambulatory activity in children.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 793-801
- Walking activity patterns in youth with cerebral palsy and youth developing typically.Disabil Rehabil. 2014; 36: 1279-1284
- The effects of orthoses, footwear, and walking AIDS on the walking ability of children and adolescents with spina bifida: a systematic review using International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health for Children and Youth (ICF-CY) as a ref.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2015; 39: 437-443
- Sociodemographic attributes and spina bifida outcomes.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: e957-e964
- Ambulation in patients with myelomeningocele: a 12-year follow-up.J Pediatr Orthop. 1999; 19: 202-206
- Factors associated with mobility outcomes in a national spina bifida patient registry.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 94: 1015-1025
- Ambulatory outcome of children with myelomeningocele: effect of lower-extremity muscle strength.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1991; 33: 482-490
- Myelodysplasia. The influence of the quadriceps and hip abductor muscles on ambulatory function and stability of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978; 60: 432-443
- Associations between orthopaedic findings, ambulation and health-related quality of life in children with myelomeningocele.J Child Orthop. 2008; 2: 45-54
- Prevalence of spina bifida among children and adolescents in 10 regions in the United States.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 274-279
- Inter-tester reliability and precision of manual muscle testing and hand-held dynamometry in lower limb muscles of children with spina bifida.Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2009; 29: 44-59
Supported by the National Institutes of Health – Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grant no. 5R01HD059826).