To report short-term functional outcomes of patients incident to dialysis undergoing inpatient rehabilitation within 3 months of dialysis initiation.
Retrospective observation study using prospectively collected data.
Single-center, hospital-based geriatric dialysis rehabilitation unit. All patients incident to hemodialysis admitted to the geriatric dialysis rehabilitation unit between May 2002 and April 2016 were identified using a retrospective observational design. Clinical and demographic data were collected prospectively and linked, using the unique hospital number and dates of admission and discharge, to FIM scores (used to assess functional recovery) at admission and discharge.
Patients (N=449; mean age ± SD, 74±9y) newly started on hemodialysis (within 3mo).
Inpatient rehabilitation care, short daily dialysis therapy with nephrologist support, and geriatrician assessment.
Change in FIM score; discharge location.
Patients were admitted within 3 months of hemodialysis initiation. The median length of stay in the rehabilitation program was 43 days (25th and 75th quartile, 33-55 days). Of those with complete data (n=370), 95% had improvement in FIM scores (median changes in total FIM score 25 [quartiles, 16, 33]; in motor FIM 23 [quartiles, 15, 32]; and in cognitive FIM 1 [quartiles, 0, 3], respectively). Most improvement was seen in transfer abilities, grooming, and mobility. A total of 324 patients (72%; 95% CI, 68%-76%) were discharged to a private home. An additional 11 were discharged to a seniors’ residence.
The data suggest that older patients incident to dialysis with functional decline respond well to specialized rehabilitation care and suggest this may be a novel approach to dialysis initiation.
List of abbreviations:HD (hemodialysis)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ethical issues in dialysis therapy.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1851-1856
- Treatment decisions for older adults with advanced chronic kidney disease.BMC Nephrol. 2017; 18: 200
- Dialysis discontinuation: quo vadis?.Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2007; 14: 379-401
- Functional dependencies among the elderly on hemodialysis.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 1289-1295
- Functional dependence and mortality in the international Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS).Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 67: 283-292
- Functional status of elderly adults before and after initiation of dialysis.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1539-1547
- Loss of independence in patients starting dialysis at 80 years of age or older.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1612-1613
- Effectiveness of a geriatric evaluation unit. A randomized clinical trial.N Engl J Med. 1984; 311: 1664-1670
- State of the art in geriatric rehabilitation. Part II: clinical challenges.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 898-903
- A controlled trial of inpatient and outpatient geriatric evaluation and management.New Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 905-912
- Inpatient rehabilitation specifically designed for geriatric patients: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 2010; 340: c1718
- Rehabilitation in the renal population: barriers to access.Semin Nephrol. 2010; 30: 59-65
- Prehabilitation for the frail patient approaching ESRD.Semin Nephrol. 2017; 37: 159-172
- Functional outcomes after inpatient rehabilitation of patients with end-stage renal disease.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 355-359
- Rehabilitation of amputees with end-stage renal disease. Functional outcome and cost.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 73: 353-357
- Dismal rehabilitation in predominantly type II diabetics on dialysis in inner-city Brooklyn.Clin Nephrol. 2000; 54: 94-104
- Inpatient rehabilitation of patients requiring hemodialysis: improving efficiency of care.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 1949-1952
- Functional outcome of quadruple amputees with end-stage renal disease.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 76: 226-230
- Rehabilitation of patients with end-stage renal failure after lower extremity amputation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1986; 67: 336-338
- Nutritional status, functional capacity and exercise rehabilitation in end-stage renal disease.Clin Nephrol. 2004; 61: S54-S59
- The importance of exercise training in rehabilitation of patients with end-stage renal disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 1994; 24 ([discussion: S31-2]): S2-S9
- Quality improvement through the introduction of interdisciplinary geriatric hemodialysis rehabilitation care.Am J Kidney Dis. 2007; 50: 90-97
- Rehabilitation improves prognosis and activities of daily living in hemodialysis patients with low activities of daily living.Phys Ther Res. 2017; 20: 9-15
- Geriatric nephrology units: the way of the future.Int Urol Nephrol. 2001; 32: 469-474
- Comorbidity assessment using the Index of Coexistent Diseases in a multicenter clinical trial.Kidney Int. 2001; 60: 1498-1510
- Adapting the Charlson Comorbidity Index for use in patients with ESRD.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 42: 125-132
- The FIM (TM).(Available at:)http://www.tbims.org/combi/FIM(Accessed October 3, 2019)Date: 2000
- Comparison of the responsiveness of the FIM and the interRAI post acute care assessment instrument in rehabilitation of older adults.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1038-1043
- Performance profiles of the functional independence measure.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1993; 72: 84-89
- Interrater agreement of the seven-level Functional Independence Measure (FIM).Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1991; 72: 790
- Factors affecting short-term rehabilitation outcomes of disabled elderly patients with proximal hip fracture.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 916-921
- Outcomes of hemodialysis patients in a long-term care hospital setting: a single-center study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 300-306
- Dismal rehabilitation in geriatric inner-city hemodialysis patients.JAMA. 1994; 271: 29-33
- Pervasive failed rehabilitation in center-based maintenance hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 1994; 23: 394-400
- Functional independence in patients with chronic kidney disease being treated with hemodialysis.Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2012; 20: 1033-1040
- Determination of the minimal clinically important difference in the FIM instrument in patients with stroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 32-39
- Functional measures of first-stroke rehabilitation inpatients: usefulness of the Functional Independence Measure total score with a clinical rationale.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78: 630-635
- Staging functional independence validity and applications.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 38-45
- Cognitive status at admission: does it affect the rehabilitation outcome of elderly patients with hip fracture?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 432-436
- Predicting length of stay in patients admitted to stroke rehabilitation with high levels of functional independence.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 2356-2361
- Cognitively impaired stroke patients do benefit from admission to an acute rehabilitation unit.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89 (441-8)
- The Mini-Mental State Examination and Montreal Cognitive Assessment in persons with mild subacute stroke: relationship to functional outcome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 792-798
- Cognitive status and ambulation in geriatric rehabilitation: walking without thinking?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 1224-1228
- Healthcare intensity at initiation of chronic dialysis among older adults.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25: 143-149
- Geriatric depression, medical diagnosis, and functional recovery during acute rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 2256-2260
- Inpatient rehabilitation outcome after hip fracture surgery in elderly patients: a prospective cohort study of 946 patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 167-171
- Predicting the achievement of 6 grades of physical independence from data routinely collected at admission to rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 1647-1656
- Clock drawing, clock copying, and physical abilities in geriatric rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 920-924
Published online: September 16, 2019
© 2019 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine