Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:AP (anterior-posterior), DTI (diffusion-tensor imaging), EDSS (Expanded Disability Status Scale), FA (fractional anisotropy), ICARS (International Cooperative Ataxia Rating Scale), Mini-BESTest (Miniature Balance Evaluation Systems Test), MS (multiple sclerosis), PwMS (people with multiple sclerosis), RD (radial diffusivity)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Risks of falls in subjects with multiple sclerosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 864-867
- Risk factors for falling among people aged 45 to 90 years with multiple sclerosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1274-1279
- Balance deficit with opened or closed eyes reveals involvement of different structures of the central nervous system in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2014; 20: 81-90
- Associations between proprioceptive neural pathway structural connectivity and balance in people with multiple sclerosis.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 814
- Body-worn motion sensors detect balance and gait deficits in people with multiple sclerosis who have normal walking speed.Gait Posture. 2012; 35: 573-578
- ISway: a sensitive, valid and reliable measure of postural control.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2012; 9: 59
- Chapter 2 - Sensory integration for human balance control.in: Day B.L. Lord S.R. Handbook of clinical neurology. Vol. 159. Elsevier, New York2018: 27-42
- A comprehensive assessment of cerebellar damage in multiple sclerosis using diffusion tractography and volumetric analysis.Mult Scler. 2011; 17: 1079-1087
- Relationship between damage to the cerebellar peduncles and clinical disability in multiple sclerosis.Radiology. 2014; 271: 822-830
- Inter-rater reliability of the International Cooperative Ataxia Rating Scale (ICARS).Mov Disord. 2004; 19: 190-192
- Using psychometric techniques to improve the Balance Evaluation Systems Test: the mini-BESTest.J Rehabil Med. 2010; 42: 323-331
- Anatomical and functional connectivity of cytoarchitectonic areas within the human parietal operculum.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 6409-6421
- Microstructural and physiological features of tissues elucidated by quantitative-diffusion-tensor MRI.J Magn Reson B. 1996; 111: 209-219
- Apparent diffusion tensor measurements in myelin-deficient rat spinal cords.Magn Reson Med. 2001; 45: 191-195
- Resting state sensorimotor functional connectivity in multiple sclerosis inversely correlates with transcallosal motor pathway transverse diffusivity.Hum Brain Mapp. 2008; 29: 818-827
- Microstructural integrity of the superior cerebellar peduncle is associated with an impaired proprioceptive weighting capacity in individuals with non-specific low back pain.PLoS One. 2014; 9e100666
- Inertial sensor-based assessment of central sensory integration for balance after mild traumatic brain injury.Mil Med. 2018; 183: 327-332
- Sensorimotor integration in human postural control.J Neurophysiol. 2002; 88: 1097-1118
- Validity of the instrumented push and release test to quantify postural responses in persons with multiple sclerosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1325-1331
- Imbalance in multiple sclerosis: a result of slowed spinal somatosensory conduction.Somatosens Mot Res. 2008; 25: 113-122
- Diabetic neuropathy and surface sway-referencing disrupt somatosensory information for postural stability in stance.Somatosens Mot Res. 2002; 19: 316-326
Supported by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (RG-5273; Fling; FG 2058-A-1 Gera; MB-0027; Horak) and the Medical Research Foundation of Oregon (Fling, Gera).
Disclosures: F. Horak has a significant financial interest in APDM, a company that may have a commercial interest in the results of this research and technology. This potential conflict of interest has been reviewed and managed by Oregon Health & Science University and the Integrity Program Oversight Council. F. Horak discloses financial relationships with Medtronics, Takeda, Adamus, Sanofi, Neuropore, and Biogen outside the submitted work. The other authors have nothing to disclose.