- •Cough efficacy is usually assessed by peak cough flow measurement.
- •Peak cough flow measurement fails to detect upper airway collapse during mechanical insufflation-exsufflation.
- •Adding effective cough volume measurement to peak cough flow might be helpful to detect upper airway collapse during mechanical insufflation-exsufflation and determine the best exsufflation pressure settings.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:MEP (maximum expiratory pressure), MI-E (mechanical insufflation-exsufflation), MIP (maximum inspiratory pressure), NMD (neuromuscular disease), OSA (obstructive sleep apnea), PCF (peak cough flow), VC (vital capacity)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Chronic respiratory care for neuromuscular diseases in adults.Eur Respir J. 2009; 34: 444-451
- Pulmonary issues in patients with chronic neuromuscular disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187: 1046-1055
- Mechanical insufflation-exsufflation. Comparison of peak expiratory flows with manually assisted and unassisted coughing techniques.Chest. 1993; 104: 1553-1562
- British Thoracic Society guideline for respiratory management of children with neuromuscular weakness.Thorax. 2012; 67: i1-i40
- Guidelines for the physiotherapy management of the adult, medical, spontaneously breathing patient.Thorax. 2009; 64: i1-i51
- Airway clearance techniques in neuromuscular disorders: a state of the art review.Respir Med. 2018; 136: 98-110
- Criteria for extubation and tracheostomy tube removal for patients with ventilatory failure. A different approach to weaning.Chest. 1996; 110: 1566-1571
- Prevention of pulmonary morbidity for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Chest. 1997; 112: 1024-1028
- Predictors of severe chest infections in pediatric neuromuscular disorders.Neuromuscul Disord. 2006; 16: 325-328
- Management of airway clearance in neuromuscular disease.Respir Care. 2006; 51 ([discussion 22-4]): 913-922
- [Recommendations of HAS: Practical issues in home non-invasive ventilation in patients with neuromuscular disease] [French].Rev Mal Respir. 2006; 23 (13S141-3)
- Cough augmentation in a patient with neuromuscular disease.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015; 12: 1888-1891
- Effectiveness of assisted and unassisted cough capacity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients.Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2017; 18: 498-504
- Limits of effective cough-augmentation techniques in patients with neuromuscular disease.Respir Care. 2009; 54: 359-366
- Peak flow and peak cough flow in the evaluation of expiratory muscle weakness and bulbar impairment in patients with neuromuscular disease.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 81: 506-511
- Mechanical insufflation-exsufflation for people with neuromuscular disorders.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 12: CD010044
- Optimum insufflation capacity and peak cough flow in neuromuscular disorders.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 1560-1568
- Laryngeal response patterns influence the efficacy of mechanical assisted cough in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Thorax. 2017; 72: 221-229
- Efficacy of mechanical insufflation-exsufflation in medically stable patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Chest. 2004; 125: 1400-1405
- Standardized lung function testing. Official statement of the European Respiratory Society.Eur Respir J Suppl. 1993; 16: 1-100
- Limitations of sniff nasal pressure in patients with severe neuromuscular weakness.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003; 74: 1685-1687
- Cough determinants in patients with neuromuscular disease.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2005; 146: 291-300
- Standardisation of spirometry.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 319-338
- A new method of negative expiratory pressure test analysis detecting upper airway flow limitation to reveal obstructive sleep apnea.Chest. 2005; 128: 2159-2165
- Significance of the relationship between lung recoil and maximum expiratory flow.J Appl Physiol. 1967; 22: 95-108
- Bench assessment of the effect of a collapsible tube on the efficiency of a mechanical insufflation-exsufflation device.Respir Care. 2019; 64: 752-759
- Upper airway areas, volumes, and linear measurements determined on computed tomography during different phases of respiration predict the presence of severe obstructive sleep apnea.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018; 76: 1524-1531
- Supra-epiglottic upper airway volume in elderly patients with obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome.PloS One. 2016; 11e0157720
- Feeding problems and malnutrition in spinal muscular atrophy type II.Neuromuscul Disord. 2008; 18: 389-393
- Comparison of three cough-augmentation techniques in neuromuscular patients: mechanical insufflation combined with manually assisted cough, insufflation-exsufflation alone and insufflation-exsufflation combined with manually assisted cough.Respiration. 2014; 88: 215-222
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT02137304.