To compare dual-target injection with standard ultrasound (US)-guided subacromial injection in patients with subacromial impingement syndrome (SIS) and possible disorders of the biceps long-head tendons.
Double-blind, randomized controlled trial.
Rehabilitation outpatient clinic.
Patients with SIS (N=60).
(1) US-guided standard subacromial bursa; (2) dual-target (subacromial bursa plus proximal biceps long-head tendon) injection, with 40-mg triamcinolone acetonide administered to patients in each group.
Main Outcome Measures
Clinical assessments were performed at baseline. The outcomes, including results from a self-administered questionnaire, the Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI), and a self-pain report, the visual analog scale (VAS) scores for pain at rest, at night, and during overhead activities, were evaluated at baseline and at the first and third months postintervention.
No significant difference was observed in baseline evaluations between groups (n=30 in each treatment arm) prior to injections. Both groups exhibited significant SPADI and VAS-score improvements after the first month. The dual-target injection group had less rebounding pain at the 3-month follow-up. The standard injection group had more patients reporting worsening pain within 1 day postinjection.
US-guided dual-target corticosteroid injection showed similar short-term efficacy to standard subacromial injections, but with an extended duration of symptom relief. Therefore, dual-target corticosteroid injections may be useful for shoulder pain treatment in patients with SIS.
List of abbreviations:ANOVA (analysis of variance), SIS (subacromial impingement syndrome), SPADI (Shoulder Pain and Disability Index), US (ultrasound), VAS (visual analog scale)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence and incidence of shoulder pain in the general population; a systematic review.Scand J Rheumatol. 2004; 33: 73-81
- Investigation of biomechanical characteristics of intact supraspinatus tendons in subacromial impingement syndrome: a cross-sectional study with real-time sonoelastography.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 95: 588-596
- Is ultrasound-guided injection more effective in chronic subacromial bursitis?.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013; 45: 2205-2213
- Point-of-care ultrasonography findings and care use among patients undergoing ultrasound-guided shoulder injections.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 97: 56-61
- Static and dynamic shoulder imaging to predict initial effectiveness and recurrence after ultrasound-guided subacromial corticosteroid injections.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1984-1994
- Long head of the biceps tendon pain: differential diagnosis and treatment.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009; 39: 55-70
- Can quantification of biceps peritendinous effusion predict rotator cuff pathologies?: a retrospective analysis of 1352 shoulder ultrasound.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 95: 161-168
- Association of bicipital peritendinous effusion with subacromial impingement: a dynamic ultrasonographic study of 337 shoulders.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 38943
- Ultrasound-guided biceps peritendinous injections in the absence of a distended tendon sheath: a novel rotator interval approach.J Ultrasound Med. 2015; 34: 2287-2292
- The effect of corticosteroid injection into rotator interval for early frozen shoulder: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Sports Med. 2018; 46: 663-670
- EURO-MUSCULUS/USPRM basic scanning protocols for shoulder.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2015; 51: 491-496
- Associations of sonographic abnormalities of the shoulder with various grades of biceps peritendinous effusion (BPE).Ultrasound Med Biol. 2014; 40: 313-321
- Translation and cross-cultural adaptation of the Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI) into Chinese.Clin Rheumatol. 2017; 36: 1419-1426
- Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI).J Physiother. 2011; 57: 197
- Measuring shoulder function: a systematic review of four questionnaires.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 623-632
- Ultrasound-guided application of percutaneous electrolysis as an adjunct to exercise and manual therapy for subacromial pain syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.J Pain. 2018; 19: 1201-1210
- Intention to treat analysis versus per protocol analysis of trial data.BMJ. 2015; 350: h681
- Clinical anatomy of the subacromial and related shoulder bursae: a review of the literature.Clin Anat. 2017; 30: 213-226
- Neurohistology of the subacromial space.Arthroscopy. 1996; 12: 182-186
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in the subacromial bursa is increased in patients with impingement syndrome.J Orthop Res. 2001; 19: 448-455
- Proinflammatory cytokines and metalloproteases are expressed in the subacromial bursa in patients with rotator cuff disease.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21: 1076
- Increased substance P in subacromial bursa and shoulder pain in rotator cuff diseases.J Orthop Res. 1998; 16: 618-621
- Multimodality imaging of subacromial impingement syndrome.Skeletal Radiol. 2018; 47: 923-937
- Compared efficacy of intra-articular injection of methylprednisolone and triamcinolone.Acta Ortop Bras. 2017; 25: 206-208
- Subacromial impingement syndrome.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011; 19: 701-708
- Vascular endothelial growth factor 121 and 165 in the subacromial bursa are involved in shoulder joint contracture in type II diabetics with rotator cuff disease.J Orthop Res. 2003; 21: 1138-1144
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of magnetic resonance imaging features for diagnosis of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 566-577
- Do the findings of magnetic resonance imaging, arthrography, and ultrasonography reflect clinical impairment in patients with idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1995-2001
- The effectiveness of injected corticosteroid type, dose, and volume for the treatment of pain in small- and intermediate-size joints: a systematic review.PM R. 2018 Oct 6; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Intra-articular triamcinolone acetonide injection in patients with capsulitis of the shoulder: a comparative study of two dose regimens.Clin Rehabil. 1998; 12: 211-215
- Optimal dose of intra-articular corticosteroids for adhesive capsulitis: a randomized, triple-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 1133-1139
Published online: May 28, 2019
Supported by National Taiwan University Hospital, Bei-Hu Branch; Ministry of Science and Technology (grant no. MOST 106-2314-B-002- 180-MY3); and Taiwan Society of Ultrasound in Medicine.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT03148353.
© 2019 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine