To build a model of prediction of social participation of community-dwelling stroke survivors in Benin at 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months.
An observational study with evaluations at 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months poststroke. Correlational analyses and multivariate linear regressions were performed.
Outpatient rehabilitation centers in Benin.
A volunteer sample of 91 stroke patients was enrolled at baseline; 64 (70%) patients completed all the study (N=64): 70% male and 52% right hemiparesis.
Main Outcome Measures
Participants were evaluated with the Participation Measurement Scale, ACTIVLIM-Stroke (activities of daily living [ADL]), Stroke Impairment Assessment Set, 6-minute walk test, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, and the modified Rankin Scale.
The significant predictors of social participation after controlling the confounders were the following: at 1 month ADL (0.4 [0.3, 0.6]) and depression (‒0.6 [‒0.8, ‒0.2]) with total model R2=0.44; at 3 months ADL (0.58 [0.4, 0.7]) and depression (‒0.58 [‒0.5, ‒0.7]) with total model R2=0.65; and at 6 months ADL (0.31 [0.2, 0.5]), impairments (‒0.82 [‒0.5, ‒0.7]), and depression (‒0.94 [‒0.8, ‒0.2]) with total model R2=0.78.
Using socioculturally tailored tools, the present study identified ADL performance (ACTIVLIM-Stroke), depression (Hospital Anxiety Depression Scale), and overall impairments (Stroke Impairment Assessment Set) as the significant determinants of social participation (Participation Measurement Scale) poststroke in Benin. These findings will be a valuable resource for rehabilitation stakeholders in evaluating interventions, programs, and policies designed to encourage social participation for stroke patients.
List of abbreviations:6MWT (6-minute-walk test), ADL (activities of daily living), HADS (Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale), PM-Scale (Participation Measurement Scale), PSD (poststroke depression), SIAS (Stroke Impairment Assessment Set)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Outcome and time course of recovery in stroke. Part I: outcome. The Copenhagen Stroke Study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 399-405
- Outcome and time course of recovery in stroke. Part II: time course of recovery. The Copenhagen Stroke Study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 406-412
- Responsiveness and minimally important change for the Manchester-Oxford foot questionnaire (MOXFQ) compared with AOFAS and SF-36 assessments following surgery for hallux valgus.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15: 918-931
- Functional recovery after stroke in Benin: a six-month follow-up study.J Rehabil Med. 2016; 48: 671-675
- Associations between sensorimotor impairments in the upper limb at 1 week and 6 months after stroke.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2016; 40: 186-195
- Spasticity after stroke: its occurrence and association with motor impairments and activity limitations.Stroke. 2004; 35: 134-139
- Predictors of daily mobility skills 6 months post-discharge from acute care or rehabilitation in older adults with stroke living at home.Disabil Rehabil. 2009; 31: 1267-1274
- Short-term changes in and predictors of participation of older adults after stroke following acute care or rehabilitation.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2008; 22: 288-297
- The relationship between early post-stroke cognition and longer term activities and participation: a systematic review.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2018 Apr 30; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Psychometric properties of the Stroke Impairment Assessment Set (SIAS).Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2002; 16: 339-351
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- ACTIVLIM-Stroke: a crosscultural Rasch-built scale of activity limitations in patients with stroke.Stroke. 2012; 43: 815-823
- Intensity and daily reliability of the six-minute walk test in moderate chronic heart failure patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1513-1518
- Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index.Md State Med J. 1965; 14: 61-65
- Measuring participation after stroke in Africa: development of the Participation Measurement Scale.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 652-659
- Measuring participation enfranchisement.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 564-571
- Advancing the measurement of participation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 540-541
- Initial psychometric evaluation of the Community Participation Activation Scale.Can J Occup Ther. 2018 Nov 9; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Tracking changes in participation with Participation Measurement Scale in community-dwelling stroke survivors in Africa.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 2238-2243
- Stroke disability and rehabilitation of stroke: World Health Organization perspective.Int J Stroke. 2013; 8: 3-4
- Factors influencing outcomes in patients with stroke.Medicina (Kaunas). 2007; 43: 269-277
- Direct cost of stroke in the University Hospital of Parakou.Revue Neurologique. 2017; 173: S190
- Prevention and care of stroke in low- and middle-income countries; the need for a public health perspective.Int J Stroke. 2010; 5: 86-91
- Activity limitations and factors influencing functional outcome of patients with stroke following rehabilitation at a specialised facility in the Western Cape.Afr Health Sci. 2013; 13: 646-654
- Stroke rehabilitation: should physiotherapy intervention be provided at a primary health care centre or the patients’ place of domicile?.Disabil Rehabil. 2014; 36: 49-54
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with stroke admitted to three tertiary hospitals in Zimbabwe: a retrospective one-year study.Malawi Med J. 2017; 29: 177-182
- Short term (3 months) prognosis of stroke in Parakou.Neurosci Med. 2018; 9: 81-93
- Restrictions in participation in social life after a stroke among elderly people in Benin.NPG Neurologie - Psychiatrie - Gériatrie. 2018; 18: 140-148
- Arthritis and associated limitations in community-dwelling Canadians living with stroke.BMC Neurol. 2016; 16: 114
- Emerging evidence of the association between cognitive deficits and arm motor recovery after stroke: a meta-analysis.Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2015; 33: 389-403
- Functional disability and cognitive impairment after hospitalization for myocardial infarction and stroke.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2014; 7: 863-871
- Brisk walking can promote functional recovery in chronic stroke patients.J Rehabil Med. 2013; 45: 854-859
- Activity limitations and participation restrictions experienced by people with stroke in Musanze district in Rwanda.Afr Health Sci. 2015; 15: 917-924
- Determinants of return to work among Nigerian stroke survivors.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 455-459
- Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF).(Available at:)Accessed December 8, 2018)
- A brief dementia screener suitable for use by non-specialists in resource poor settings--the cross-cultural derivation and validation of the brief Community Screening Instrument for Dementia.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011; 26: 899-907
- The stroke impairment assessment set: its internal consistency and predictive validity.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 863-868
- The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature review.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 52: 69-77
- Comparison of the 2-, 6-, and 12-minute walk tests in patients with stroke.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2005; 42: 103-107
- Cerebral vascular accidents in patients over the age of 60. II. Prognosis.Scott Med J. 1957; 2: 200-215
- Variable selection with stepwise and best subset approaches.Ann Transl Med. 2016; 4: 136
- Post-stroke depression, antidepressant treatment and rehabilitation results. A case-control study.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2001; 12: 264-271
- Motor function and participation among Nigerian stroke survivors: 6-month follow-up study.NeuroRehabilitation. 2009; 25: 137-142
- Predictors of long-term participation after stroke.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 221-230
- Gait in stroke: assessment and rehabilitation.Clin Geriatr Med. 1999; 15: 833-855
- Is walking endurance associated with activity and participation late after stroke?.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 2053-2057
- Walking speed and distance in different environments of subjects in the later stage post-stroke.Physiother Theory Pract. 2010; 26: 519-527
- Social participation following a stroke: an assessment in accordance with the international classification of functioning, disability and health.Disabil Rehabil. 2019; 41: 879-886
- Post-stroke depression among stroke survivors attending two hospitals in Kampala Uganda.Afr Health Sci. 2015; 15: 1220-1231
- Post-stroke depression in Ghana: characteristics and correlates.J Neurol Sci. 2017; 379: 261-265
Published online: April 25, 2019
Supported by a cooperation for development’s scholarship from the Council of the International Action of the Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium.
© 2019 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine