- •Frailty was a significant predictor of discharge location poststroke.
- •More frail patients were discharged to skilled nursing facilities.
- •Nonfrail patients were 71% more likely to be discharged to inpatient rehabilitation.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:95% CI (95% confidence interval), ADL (activities of daily living), FCI (Functional Comorbidity Index), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), OR (odds ratio), SASI (Stroke Administrative Severity Index), SNF (skilled nursing facility)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2017 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2017; 135: e146
- Guidelines for adult stroke rehabilitation and recovery: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2016; 47: e98-e169
- Poststroke rehabilitation: outcomes and reimbursement of inpatient rehabilitation facilities and subacute rehabilitation programs.Stroke. 2006; 37: 147782
- Outcomes and costs after hip fracture and stroke. A comparison of rehabilitation settings.JAMA. 1997; 277: 396-404
- A qualitative exploration of discharge destination as an outcome or a driver of acute stroke care.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 193
- Accessing rehabilitation after stroke a guessing game?.Disabil Rehabil. 2017; 39: 709-713
- Functional outcomes of posthospital care for stroke and hip fracture patients under medicare.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: 1525-1533
- Selection for inpatient rehabilitation after acute stroke: a systematic review of the literature.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 2057-2070
- Selection criteria for rehabilitation services.Clinical Rehabil. 2003; 17: 115-118
- Using claims data to predict dependency in activities of daily living as a proxy for frailty.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015; 24: 59-66
- Comparing comorbidity indices to predict postacute rehabilitation outcomes in older adults.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 95: 889-898
- Stroke Administrative Severity Index: using administrative data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction.J Comp Eff Res. 2018; 7: 293-304
- Frailty measurement in research and clinical practice: a review.Eur J Intern Med. 2016; 31: 3-10
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Frailty status at admission to hospital predicts multiple adverse outcomes.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 801-806
- A novel approach to improve health status measurement in observational claims-based studies of cancer treatment and outcomes.J Geriatr Oncol. 2013; 4: 157-165
- Development of a claims-based frailty indicator anchored to a well-established frailty phenotype.Med Care. 2017; 55: 716-722
- Measuring frailty in medicare data: development and validation of a claims-based frailty index.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2018; 73: 980-987
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 676-682
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 722-727
- A comparison of two approaches to measuring frailty in elderly people.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 738-743
- Long-term risks of death and institutionalization of elderly people in relation to deficit accumulation at age 70.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 54: 975-979
- Selection for inpatient rehabilitation after severe stroke: what factors influence rehabilitation assessor decision-making?.J Rehabil Med. 2013; 45: 24-31
- Effect of exercise on physical function, daily living activities, and quality of life in the frail older adults: a meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 237-244
- Physical activity and exercise as countermeasures to physical frailty and sarcopenia.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2017; 29: 35-42
- Effects of physical exercise interventions in frail older adults: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.BMC Geriatr. 2015; 15: 154
- The development of a comorbidity index with physical function as the outcome.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 595-602
- Examining the association between comorbidity indexes and functional status in hospitalized Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 232-240
- Racial/ethnic differences in poststroke rehabilitation utilization in the USA.Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2009; 7: 405-410
- Quality of hospital care in African American and white patients with ischemic stroke and TIA.Neurology. 2006; 66: 809-814
- Rebuilding the unity of health and the environment in rural America: workshop summary.National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2006
Supported in part by the VA Office of Research and Development (ORD), with additional support from the VA/ORD Rehabilitation R&D Service (grant no. 1I01RX001935) and support from the National Institutes of Health (grant no. NIH P20 GM109040). Supported in part by the South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute, with an academic home at the Medical University of South Carolina, through NIH–NCATS (grant no. UL1 TR001450), the Telehealth Center of Excellence (grant no. HRSA U66RH31458), and Promotion of Doctoral Studies I Scholarship from the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research. Data for the study were provided through support for the CEDAR core funded by the MUSC Office of the Provost.