- •Specialized physical therapy (SPT) revealed no significant differences compared to regular physical therapy (RPT) after 12 months of treatment on the Toronto Western Spasmodic Torticollis Rating Scale (TWSTRS) disability scale.
- •SPT and RPT showed comparable improvements on the TWSTRS disability scale compared to baseline.
- •SPT showed significant larger improvements on general health perceptions and self-perceived improvement than RPT.
- •SPT reduced health care costs by $366 per patient on average, compared to RPT.
- •SPT is preferred over RPT with comparable effects on disability, lower health care costs, and better outcomes on general health perceptions and self-perceived improvement.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), BoNT (botulinum toxin), CD (cervical dystonia), CDQ-24 (Craniocervical Dystonia Questionnaire), CI (confidence interval), FDQ (Functional Disability Questionnaire), PT (physical therapy), QOL (quality of life), RCT (randomized controlled trial), RPT (regular physical therapy), SF-36 (Short Form 36), SPT (specialized physical therapy), TWSTRS (Toronto Western Spasmodic Torticollis Rating Scale)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Classification and investigation of dystonia.in: Movement disorders. vol. 2. Butterworth, London, England1987: 332-358
- The prevalence of primary dystonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mov Disord. 2012; 27: 1789-1796
- Nonmotor symptoms and focal cervical dystonia: observations from 102 patients.Basal Ganglia. 2014; 4: 117-120
- Pain in spasmodic torticollis.Pain. 1997; 69: 279-286
- Botulinum toxin type A therapy for cervical dystonia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD003633
- Paramedical treatment in primary dystonia: a systematic review.Mov Disord. 2009; 24: 2187-2198
- The effectiveness of physiotherapy for cervical dystonia: a systematic literature review.J Neurol. 2014; 261: 1857-1865
- Botulinum toxin and neuromotor rehabilitation: an integrated approach to idiopathic cervical dystonia.Mov Disord. 2006; 21: 2240-2243
- Active exercise for individuals with cervical dystonia: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2013; 27: 226-235
- Physical therapy program for cervical dystonia: a study of 20 cases.Funct Neurol. 2012; 27: 187-192
- Physiotherapy of focal dystonia: a physiotherapist’s personal experience.Eur J Neurol. 2010; 17: 107-112
- A randomized trial of specialized versus standard neck physiotherapy in cervical dystonia.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016; 23: 72-79
- Cervical dystonia: effectiveness of a standardized physical therapy program; study design and protocol of a single blind randomized controlled trial.BMC Neurol. 2013; 13: 85
- Principles of experience-dependent neural plasticity: implications for rehabilitation after brain damage.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2008; 51: S225-S239
- Clinical assessments of patients with cervical dystonia.in: Jankovic J. Hallett M. Therapy with botulinum toxin. Marcel Dekker, New York1994: 211-237
- Teaching tape for the motor section of the Toronto Western Spasmodic Torticollis Scale.Mov Disord. 1997; 12: 570-575
- Body concept, disability, and depression in patients with spasmodic torticollis.Behav Neurol. 1990; 3: 117-131
- Reliability and responsiveness of three different pain assessments.J Rehabil Med. 2001; 33: 279-283
- Double-blind study of botulinum toxin in spasmodic torticollis.Lancet. 1986; 2: 245-247
- An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric properties.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1988; 56: 893-897
- Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: twenty-five years of evaluation.Clin Psychol Rev. 1988; 8: 77-100
- Evaluation of the clinical global impression scale among individuals with social anxiety disorder.Psychol Med. 2003; 33: 611-622
- Validating the SF-36 health survey questionnaire: new outcome measure for primary care.BMJ. 1992; 305: 160-164
- Craniocervical dystonia questionnaire (CDQ-24): development and validation of a disease-specific quality of life instrument.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004; 75: 749-753
- The iMTA Productivity Cost Questionnaire: a standardized instrument for measuring and valuing health-related productivity losses.Value Health. 2015; 18: 753-758
- [Guidelines for Pharmacoeconomic Research in the Netherlands] [Dutch].College voor zorgverzekeringen (Health Care Insurance Board CVZ). 2011; : 1-127
- Long-term effect of botulinum toxin on impairment and functional health in cervical dystonia.Neurology. 1998; 50: 1461-1463
- Determinants of disability in cervical dystonia.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016; 32: 48-53
- Long-term efficacy, safety, and side effect profile of botulinum toxin in dystonia: a 20-year follow-up.Toxicon. 2014; 90: 344-348
- Pathophysiology of idiopathic focal dystonia.ACNR. 2010; 10: 14-18
- Somatosensory cortical remodelling after rehabilitation and clinical benefit of in writer’s cramp.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011; 82: 574-577
- Corticomotor representation of the sternocleidomastoid muscle.Brain. 1997; 120: 245-255
- Minimal clinically important change in the Toronto Western Spasmodic Torticollis Rating Scale.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2018; 52: 94-97
Supported by the scientific fund of the Dutch Dystonia Patient Association , the Nuts-Ohra Fund (grant no. 1202-040 ), and the Jacques and Gloria Gossweiler Foundation .
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NTR3437.
Disclosures: J.H. Koelman and M.A. Tijssen received unrestricted grants from Ipsen Pharmaceutical and Allergan Inc. for studies, teaching workshops on dystonia, and financing a specialized dystonia nurse. Neither Ipsen nor Allergan had a role in the study design, collection, analysis, or interpretation of data, the writing of the report, or the decision to submit the paper for publication. The other authors have nothing to disclose.