Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), fps (frames per second), ICC (intra-class correlation coefficient), MBSImP (Modified Barium Swallowing Impairment Profile), pps (pulses per second), VFSS (videofluoroscopic swallowing study)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Fluoroscopy: patient radiation exposure issues.Radiographics. 2001; 21: 1033-1045
- MBS measurement tool for swallow impairment—MBSImp: establishing a standard.Dysphagia. 2008; 23: 392-405
- Perceptual comparison of pulsed and continuous fluoroscopy.Med Phys. 1994; 21: 245-256
- Kinematic and temporal factors associated with penetration–aspiration in swallowing liquids.Dysphagia. 2014; 29: 269-276
- Guidelines for speech-language pathologists performing videofluoroscopic swallowing studies.(Available at:)Accessed March 5, 2017)
- Physiology and radiology of the normal oral and pharyngeal phases of swallowing.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990; 154: 953-963
- How I do it: examination of the patient with dysphagia.Dysphagia. 1989; 4: 162-172
- Can we use pulsed fluoroscopy to decrease the radiation dose during video fluoroscopic feeding studies in children?.Clin Radiol. 2009; 64: 70-73
- Preliminary investigation of the effect of pulse rate on judgments of swallowing impairment and treatment recommendations.Dysphagia. 2013; 28: 528-538
- Timing in the normal pharyngeal swallow. Prospective selection and evaluation of 16 normal asymptomatic patients.Invest Radiol. 1984; 19: 523-529
- Timing of major events of pharyngeal swallowing.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1988; 114: 1413-1418
- Evaluation of swallowing using 320-detector-row multislice CT. Part II: kinematic analysis of laryngeal closure during normal swallowing.Dysphagia. 2011; 26: 209-217
- A penetration-aspiration scale.Dysphagia. 1996; 11: 93-98
- The influence of food texture and liquid consistency modification on swallowing physiology and function: a systematic review.Dysphagia. 2015; 30: 2-26
- Swallowing physiology of sequential straw drinking.Dysphagia. 2001; 16: 176-182
- Motor strategy in rapid sequential swallowing: new insights.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2000; 43: 1481-1492
- Quantitative videofluoroscopic analysis of penetration-aspiration in post-stroke patients.Neurol India. 2010; 58: 42-47
- Stage transition duration in patients poststroke.Dysphagia. 2007; 22: 299-305
- Respiratory-swallow training in patients with head and neck cancer.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 885-893
Current affiliation for Mulheren, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH.
This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health through the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (grant no. K23 DC 011056) and the National Institute of Child Health & Human Development—National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (grant no. 5T32HD007414-23). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the views of the National Institutes of Health.