- •Volleyball exercise results in improvement of upper limb motor function in chronic stroke survivors.
- •Volleyball exercise decreases the feedback dependency of motor control in chronic stroke survivors.
- •Performing volleyball exercise in a competitive form could enhance its positive effects in both functional and motor control levels.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), AOU (amount of use), BBT (Box and Block Test), FAS (functional ability scale), MAL (Motor Activity Log), MGA (maximum grip aperture), NMT (normalized movement time), NTD (normalized total distance), PMGA (percentage of movement time in which MGA occurs), PPV (percentage of movement time in which PV occurs), PV (peak velocity), QOM (quality of movement), WMFT (Wolf Motor Function Test), WPST (Wrist Position Sense Test)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Global status report on noncommunicable diseases.WHO, Geneva2016
- Movement science. Foundations for physical therapy in rehabilitation.Aspen, Gaithersburg, MD2000
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2532-2553
- Game-based, portable, upper extremity rehabilitation in chronic stroke.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2011; 18: 720-727
- Effects of mirror therapy on motor and sensory recovery in chronic stroke: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1023-1030
- Activities, participation and satisfaction one-year post stroke.Disabil Rehabil. 2007; 29: 559-566
- Effects of therapeutic golf rehabilitation on golf performance, balance, and quality of life in individuals following stroke: pilot study.Physiother Canada. 2005; 57: 101-112
- Competitive and cooperative arm rehabilitation games played by a patient and unimpaired person: effects on motivation and exercise intensity.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017; 14: 23
- Design and pilot evaluation of competitive and cooperative exercise games for arm rehabilitation at home.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2016; 2016: 4690-4694
- Interjoint coordination during pointing movements is disrupted in spastic hemiparesis.Brain. 1996; 119: 281-293
- Effects of modified constraint-induced movement therapy on reach-to-grasp movements and functional performance after chronic stroke: a randomized controlled study.Clin Rehabil. 2007; 21: 1075-1086
- Kinematic and clinical analyses of upper-extremity movements after constraint-induced movement therapy in patients with stroke: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 964-970
- Evaluation of a test battery for hemineglect in elderly stroke patients for use by therapists in clinical practice.NeuroRehabilitation. 2000; 14: 139-150
- Transcranial direct current stimulation potentiates improvements in functional ability in patients with chronic stroke receiving constraint-induced movement therapy.Stroke. 2017; 48: 229-232
- Reliability and validity of the upper-extremity Motor Activity Log-14 for measuring real-world arm use.Stroke. 2005; 36: 2493-2496
- Self-training to improve UE function at the chronic stage post-stroke: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Disabil Rehabil. 2017; 39: 1541-1548
- Impaired limb position sense after stroke: a quantitative test for clinical use.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 1271-1278
- Stroke rehabilitation: guidelines for exercise and training to optimize motor skill.Butterworth-Heinemann Medical, Edinburgh2003
- A community-based upper-extremity group exercise program improves motor function and performance of functional activities in chronic stroke: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1-9
- “Playstation eyetoy games” improve upper extremity-related motor functioning in subacute stroke: a randomized controlled clinical trial.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2008; 44: 237-244
- Functions of the mirror neuron system: implications for neurorehabilitation.Cogn Behav Neurol. 2006; 19: 55-63
- Encoding a motor memory in the older adult by action observation.Neuroimage. 2006; 29: 677-684
- The planning and control of reaching movements.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2000; 10: 740-746
- Motor cortex plasticity induced by extensive training revealed by transcranial magnetic stimulation in human.Eur J Neurosci. 2005; 21: 259-266
- Forward modeling allows feedback control for fast reaching movements.Trends Cogn Sci. 2000; 4: 423-431
- The effects of individual and team competitions on performance, emotions, and effort.J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2013; 35: 132-143
- Experiencing flow: is doing it together better than doing it alone?.J Posit Psychol. 2010; 5: 3-11
- Imaging social motivation: distinct brain mechanisms drive effort production during collaboration versus competition.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 15894-15902
- The concept of patient motivation.Stroke. 2002; 33: 444-448
Supported by Iran University of Medical Sciences , Tehran, Iran (grant no.: 94-03-32-26537 ).
Clinical Trial Registration No.: IRCT2015110616830N6.