- •Baseline gait quality is related to gait improvement 5 years after SDR.
- •Gait improves more after SDR in children with GMFCS level I and II compared to III.
- •Effects are comparable for children with and without abnormalities on brain MRI.
- •Selective motor control is related to specific improvements in knee kinematics but not to overall gait quality.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BoNT-A (botulinum toxin-A), CP (cerebral palsy), EVGS (Edinburgh Visual Gait Score), GDI (gait deviation index), GMFCS (Gross Motor Function Classification System), HSP (hereditary spastic paraplegia), ITB (intrathecal baclofen), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), NNMF (non-negative matrix factorization), PVL (periventricular leukomalacia), SDR (selective dorsal rhizotomy), VAF (variance accounted for)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- MRI classification system (MRICS) for children with cerebral palsy: development, reliability, and recommendations.Dev Med Chil Neurol. 2017; 59: 57-64
- Cerebral palsy.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2016; 2: 15082
- Can we identify predictors of multilevel botulinum toxin A injections in children with cerebral palsy who walk with a flexed knee pattern?.J Child Neurol. 2008; 23: 628-634
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy for spastic cerebral palsy: a review.Childs Nerv Syst. 2007; 23: 981-990
- Predictors of poor outcome after selective dorsal rhizotomy in treatment of spastic cerebral palsy.Childs Nerv Syst. 2006; 22: 60-66
- Long-term effect of selective dorsal rhizotomy on gross motor function in ambulant children with spastic bilateral cerebral palsy, compared with reference centiles.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2013; 55: 610-616
- Long-term outcomes 5 years after selective dorsal rhizotomy.BMC Pediatr. 2008; 8: 54
- Predictors for the benefit of selective dorsal rhizotomy.Res Dev Disabil. 2015; 37: 127-134
- A prospective gait analysis study in patients with diplegic cerebral palsy 20 years after selective dorsal rhizotomy.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2008; 1: 180-186
- Gait status 17-26 years after selective dorsal rhizotomy.Gait Posture. 2012; 35: 244-249
- Selection criteria for selective dorsal rhizotomy in children with spastic cerebral palsy: a systematic review of the literature.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2014; 56: 302-312
- Long-term results of selective dorsal rhizotomy for hereditary spastic paraparesis.J Clin Neurosci. 2014; 21: 116-120
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy for hereditary spastic paraparesis in children.Childs Nerv Syst. 2016; 32: 1489-1494
- Changes in gait which occur before and during the adolescent growth spurt in children treated by selective dorsal rhizotomy.Gait Posture. 2015; 42: 317-322
- Dynamic motor control is associated with treatment outcomes for children with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016; 58: 1139-1145
- Electromyography data processing impacts muscle synergies during gait for unimpaired children and children with cerebral palsy.Front Comput Neurosci. 2017; 11: 50
- Muscle synergies and complexity of neuromuscular control during gait in cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015; 57: 1176-1182
- Preoperative MRI findings and functional outcome after selective dorsal rhizotomy in children with bilateral spasticity.Childs Nerv Syst. 2010; 26: 191-198
- Locomotor primitives in newborn babies and their development.Science. 2011; 334: 997-999
- Effect of selective dorsal rhizotomy on gait in children with bilateral spastic paresis: kinematic and EMG-pattern changes.Neuropediatrics. 2010; 41: 209-216
- The relationship between the Edinburgh Visual Gait Score, the Gait Profile Score, and GMFCS levels I-III.Gait Posture. 2015; 41: 741-743
- The effect of EMG processing choices on muscle synergies before and after BoNT-A treatment in cerebral palsy.Gait Posture. 2016; 49: 31
- Motor modules of human locomotion: influence of EMG averaging, concatenation, and number of step cycles.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 335
- Prevalence of specific gait abnormalities in children with cerebral palsy revisited: influence of age, prior surgery, and Gross Motor Function Classification System level.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017; 59: 79-88
- Reliability and validity of Edinburgh visual gait score as an evaluation tool for children with cerebral palsy.Gait Posture. 2016; 49: 14-18