- •Ventilatory threshold (VT) can be assessed in men with paraplegia with low fitness.
- •Patients with tetraplegia with low peak work capacity may not reach VT during peak fitness tests.
- •There are negligible differences between VT methods in individuals with spinal cord injury.
List of abbreviations:LoA (limits of agreement), SCI (spinal cord injury), SEE (standard error of estimate), V.CO2 (carbon dioxide consumption per unit time), V.o2 (oxygen consumption per unit time), Vo2peak (peak oxygen consumption), VT (ventilatory threshold)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Cardiorespiratory fitness as a quantitative predictor of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events in healthy man and women: a meta-analysis.J Am Med Assoc. 2009; 301: 2024-2035
- Importance of assessing cardiorespiratory fitness in clinical practice: a case for fitness as a clinical vital sign: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2016; 134: e653-e699
- Modeling perceived exertion during graded arm cycling exercise in spinal cord injury.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017; 49: 1190-1196
- Upper extremity musculoskeletal pain during and after rehabilitation in wheelchair-using persons with a spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2006; 44: 152-159
- Effects of circuit resistance training on fitness attributes and upper-extremity pain in middle-aged men with paraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 70-75
- Peak heart rates and sympathetic function in tetraplegic nonathletes and athletes.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015; 47: 1259-1264
- The effects of an aerobic and resistance exercise training program on cognition following stroke.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2013; 27: 392-402
- Triceps brachii in incomplete tetraplegia: EMG and dynamometer evaluation of residual motor resources and capacity for strengthening.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2013; 19: 300-310
- Clinical VO2peak is “part of the deal.”.J Appl Physiol. 2017; 122: 1370
- Reply to Drs. Van Breda et al.J Appl Physiol. 2017; 122: 1371-1372
- The relationship between plasma lactate parameters, Wpeak and 1-h cycling performance in women.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998; 30: 1270-1275
- Applications of cardiopulmonary exercise testing in the management of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease.Int J Sports Med. 2005; 26: S49-S55
- Anaerobic threshold: the concept and methods of measurement.Can J Appl Physiol. 2003; 28: 299-323
- Validity and reliability of combining three methods to determine ventilatory threshold.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: 1841-1848
- Ventilatory threshold: a useful method to determine aerobic fitness in children?.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000; 32: 1964-1969
- Associations of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality events with oxygen uptake at ventilatory threshold.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 236: 444-450
- Comparing four non-invasive methods to determine the ventilatory anaerobic threshold during cardiopulmonary exercise testing in children with congenital heart or lung disease.Clin Physiol Funct Imaging. 2015; 35: 451-459
- Blood lactate and ventilatory thresholds in wheelchair athletes with tetraplegia and paraplegia.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2014; 114: 1635-1643
- Physiology of wheelchair racing in athletes with spinal cord injury.Sports Med. 2002; 32: 23-51
- International standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury (revised 2011).J Spinal Cord Med. 2011; 34: 547-554
- Effects of exercise on fitness and health of adults with spinal cord injury: a systematic review.Neurology. 2017; 89: 1-10
- Aerobic capacity, orthostatic tolerance, and exercise perceptions at discharge from inpatient spinal cord injury rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2013-2019
- A 16-week randomized controlled trial evaluating the physical activity guidelines for adults with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2015; 53: 363-367
- A category-ratio perceived exertion scale: relationship to blood and muscle lactates and heart rate.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1983; 15: 523-528
- Correlation, agreement, and Bland-Altman analysis: statistical analysis of method comparison studies.Am J Ophthalmol. 2009; 148: 4-6
- Ventilatory threshold during wheelchair exercise in untrained and endurance-trained subjects with quadriplegia.Adapt Phys Act Q. 1995; 12: 333-343
- Effects of a wheelchair ergometer training programme on spinal cord-injured persons.Spinal Cord. 2003; 41: 451-456
- Normative values and determinants of physical capacity in individuals with spinal cord injury.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2002; 39: 29-39
- Ventilatory thresholds during wheelchair exercise in individuals with spinal cord injuries.Paraplegia. 1995; 33: 419-422
- A new method for detecting anaerobic threshold by gas exchange.J Appl Physiol. 1986; 60: 2020-2027
- Advanced fitness assessment and exercise prescription.Human Kinetics, Champaign2006
- Submaximal cardiopulmonary exercise testing predicts complications and hospital length of stay in patients undergoing major elective surgery.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 535-541
- Aerobic metabolism and cardioventilatory responses in paraplegic athletes during an incremental wheelchair exercise.Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1997; 76: 455-461
- Exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure delays ventilatory anaerobic threshold and improves submaximal exercise performance.Circulation. 1989; 79: 324-330
- Wheelchair propulsion: effects of experience and push strategy on efficiency and perceived exertion.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008; 33: 870-879
- End criteria for reaching maximal oxygen uptake must be strict and adjusted to sex and age: a cross-sectional study.PLoS One. 2014; 9: 18-20
Supported by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (grant no. TCA 118348) and the Canada Foundation for Innovation (grant no. 24906).