- •Impairments associated with mobility for patients with lumbar stenosis is not well-defined.
- •Patients with stenosis experience a greater severity of impairments.
- •Trunk extensor endurance, leg strength, and knee flexion ROM are associated with a decline in mobility.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), Boston RISE (Boston Rehabilitative Study of the Elderly), CT (computed tomography), EMR (electronic medical record), LLFDI (Late-Life Function and Disability Instrument), LSS (lumbar spinal stenosis), ROM (range of motion), SLSS (symptomatic lumbar spinal stenosis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Recent changes in the health status of the older U.S. population: findings from the 1984 and 1994 supplement on aging.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 443-449
- Predictors of walking performance and walking capacity in people with lumbar spinal stenosis, low back pain, and asymptomatic controls.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 647-653
- Examination findings and self-reported walking capacity in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis.Phys Ther. 2001; 81: 1296-1306
- Pilot case control study of postural sway and balance performance in aging adults with degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009; 32: 15-21
- Contribution of neuromuscular impairment to physical functional status in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis.J Rheumatol. 1994; 21: 1338-1343
- Prevalence of symptomatic lumbar spinal stenosis and its association with physical performance in a population-based cohort in Japan: the Wakayama Spine Study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2012; 20: 1103-1108
- An assessment of surgery for spinal stenosis: time trends, geographic variations, complications, and reoperations.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996; 44: 285-290
- Low back pain.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42: A1-A57
- Assessment of the quality of cost analysis literature in physical therapy.Phys Ther. 2009; 89: 733-755
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF).World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2001
- Associations between physical therapy and long-term outcomes for individuals with lumbar spinal stenosis in the SPORT study.Spine J. 2014; 14: 1611-1621
- Surgery vs nonsurgical treatment of lumbar spinal stenosis: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 465-473
- Guide to Physical Therapist Practice 3.0. American Physical Therapy Association, Alexandria2014
- Contributions of treatment theory and enablement theory to rehabilitation research and practice.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: S17-S23.e2
- Nonoperative treatment for lumbar spinal stenosis with neurogenic claudication.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 30CD010712
- Health characteristics, neuromuscular attributes, and mobility among primary care patients with symptomatic lumbar spinal stenosis: a secondary analysis.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2017; 40: 135-142
- Association of neuromuscular attributes with performance-based mobility among community-dwelling older adults with symptomatic lumbar spinal stenosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1400-1406
- The Boston rehabilitative impairment study of the elderly: a description of methods.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 347-355
- Which neuromuscular attributes are most associated with mobility among older primary care patients?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2381-2388
- Psychometric properties of the Late-Life Function and Disability Instrument: a systematic review.BMC Geriatr. 2014; 14: 12
- Neuromuscular impairments contributing to persistently poor and declining lower-extremity mobility among older adults: new findings informing geriatric rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1316-1322
- Does this older adult with lower extremity pain have the clinical syndrome of lumbar spinal stenosis?.JAMA. 2010; 304: 2628-2636
- Dimensions of the Mini-Mental State Examination among community dwelling older adults.Psychol Med. 2000; 30: 605-618
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis. Diagnostic value of the history and physical examination.Arthritis Rheum. 1995; 38: 1236-1241
- Reliability in grading the severity of lumbar spinal stenosis.J Spinal Disord. 2000; 13: 253-258
- Three-year incidence of low back pain in an initially asymptomatic cohort: clinical and imaging risk factors.Spine. 2005; 30 (discussion 1549): 1541-1548
- Computed tomography–based muscle attenuation and electrical impedance myography as indicators of trunk muscle strength independent of muscle size in older adults.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 93: 553-561
- The Self-Administered Comorbidity Questionnaire: a new method to assess comorbidity for clinical and health services research.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 49: 156-163
- Impact of body mass index on coronary heart disease risk factors in men and women. The Framingham Offspring Study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1996; 16: 1509-1515
- Measurement of pain by subjective report.in: Chapman C. Loeser J.D. Advances in pain research and therapy. Raven Press, New York1989: 391-403
- Trunk muscle attributes are associated with balance and mobility in older adults: a pilot study.PM R. 2009; 1: 916-924
- Reliability of goniometric measurements and visual estimates of knee range of motion obtained in a clinical setting.Phys Ther. 1991; 71 ([discussion: 96-7]): 90-96
- A longitudinal study of kyphosis in older people.Age Ageing. 1983; 12: 225-233
- Late Life Function and Disability Instrument: II. Development and evaluation of the function component.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: M217-M222
- Sensitivity analysis after multiple imputation under missing at random: a weighting approach.Stat Methods Med Res. 2007; 16: 259-275
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Increased velocity exercise specific to task training versus the National Institute on Aging's strength training program: changes in limb power and mobility.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009; 64: 983-991
- Efficacy of exercise and ultrasound in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis: a prospective randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2010; 24: 623-631
- Effectiveness of physical therapy and epidural steroid injections in lumbar spinal stenosis.Spine. 2009; 34: 985-989
- Changes in torso muscle endurance profiles in children aged 7-14 years: reference values.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 2295-2301
- Endurance training of the trunk extensor muscles in people with subacute low back pain.Phys Ther. 1999; 79: 1032-1042
Current affiliation for Schmidt, Center on Health Services Training and Research (CoHSTAR), School of Public Health, Brown University, Providence, RI.
This study was performed at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Cambridge, MA.
Supported by grants from Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grant no. 1K24HD070966), National Institute on Aging (grant nos. R01 AG032052 and T32AG023480); the National Center for Research Resources in a grant to the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center (grant no. UL1 RR025758); and a Departmental Research Grant Award from the Department of Orthopedics, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. These funding supports did not have a direct role in the study design, collection, analysis or interpretation of data, writing, or submission decisions for this manuscript.
Disclosures: J. Bean reports grants from NIH during the conduct of the study and grants from NIH and grants from RX Foundation outside the submitted work. P. Suri reports personal fees from Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital during the conduct of the study. D.E. Anderson reports grants from American Society for Bone and Mineral Research outside the submitted work. The other authors have nothing to disclose.