Patients’ infraspinatus with trigger points are stiffer than matched controls
Heightened stiffness present in contralateral uninvolved infraspinatus
No evidence of a localized band with increased tissue stiffness
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:MRE (Magnetic Resonance Elastography), SWE (Shear Wave Elastography), SWS (Shear Wave Speed)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Etiology of myofascial trigger points.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2012; 16: 439-444
- Needling therapies in the management of myofascial trigger point pain: a systematic review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 986-992
- Identifying and treating myofascial pain syndrome.Phys Sportsmed. 1997; 25: 67-75
- Myofascial trigger points: the current evidence.Phys Ther Sport. 2004; 5: 2-12
- Travell & Simons’ Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: Upper half of body.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999
- Guideline for diagnosis and treatment of subacromial pain syndrome: a multidisciplinary review by the Dutch Orthopaedic Association.Acta Orthop. 2014; 85: 314-322
- Interrater reliability in myofascial trigger point examination.Pain. 1997; 69: 65-73
- A systematic, critical review of manual palpation for identifying myofascial trigger points: evidence and clinical significance.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1169-1176
- Variability of criteria used to diagnose myofascial trigger point pain syndrome–evidence from a review of the literature.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 278-286
- A critical evaluation of the trigger point phenomenon.Rheumatol Oxf Engl. 2015; 54: 392-399
- Treatment of myofascial trigger points in common shoulder disorders by physical therapy: a randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN75722066].BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007; 8: 107
- Clinical precision of myofascial trigger point location in the trapezius muscle.Pain. 2001; 93: 259-266
- Comment on: A critical evaluation of the trigger point phenomenon.Rheumatology. 2015; 54: 1126-1127
- International consensus on diagnostic criteria and clinical considerations of myofascial trigger points: a delphi study.Pain Med Malden Mass. 2018; 19: 142-150
- Uncovering the biochemical milieu of myofascial trigger points using in vivo microdialysis: an application of muscle pain concepts to myofascial pain syndrome.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2008; 12: 371-384
- Novel applications of ultrasound technology to visualize and characterize myofascial trigger points and surrounding soft tissue.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1829-1838
- Two– and three–dimensional ultrasound imaging to facilitate detection and targeting of taut bands in myofascial pain syndrome.Pain Med. 2012; 13: 971-975
- Quantification of myofascial taut bands.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 67-73
- Ultrasonic characterization of the upper trapezius muscle in patients with chronic neck pain.Ultrason Imaging. 2013; 35: 173-187
- Supersonic shear imaging: a new technique for soft tissue elasticity mapping.IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2004; 51: 396-409
- Tissue quantification with acoustic radiation force impulse imaging: measurement repeatability and normal values in the healthy liver.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: 132-136
- Shear wave elastography: a new ultrasound imaging mode for the differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 5281-5288
- Breast lesions: quantitative elastography with supersonic shear imaging–preliminary results.Radiology. 2010; 256: 297-303
- Supersonic shear imaging provides a reliable measurement of resting muscle shear elastic modulus.Physiol Meas. 2012; 33: N19-N28
- Validation of shear wave elastography in skeletal muscle.J Biomech. 2013; 46: 2381-2387
- Characterization of muscle belly elastic properties during passive stretching using transient elastography.J Biomech. 2008; 41: 2305-2311
- Acute effects of static stretching on muscle hardness of the medial gastrocnemius muscle belly in humans: an ultrasonic shear–wave elastography study.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2014; 40: 1991-1997
- Spatial variations in Achilles tendon shear wave speed.J Biomech. 2014; 47: 2685-2692
- Quantitative ultrasound mapping of regional variations in shear wave speeds of the aging Achilles tendon.Eur Radiol. 2017; 27: 474-482
- Effects of two stretching methods on shoulder range of motion and muscle stiffness in baseball players with posterior shoulder tightness: a randomized controlled trial.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016; 25: 1395-1403
- Quantification of dry needling and posture effects on myofascial trigger points using ultrasound shear–wave elastography.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2146-2150
- Length and activation dependent variations in muscle shear wave speed.Physiol Meas. 2013; 34: 713-721
Lenth, R. V. Java Applets for Power and Sample Size. Available at: http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/∼rlenth/Power. Accessed June 1, 2012.
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.Lawrence Erlbaum, 1988
- Quantitative assessment of normal soft–tissue elasticity using shear–wave ultrasound elastography.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 197: 532-536
- Muscle shear elastic modulus measured using supersonic shear imaging is highly related to muscle activity level.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010; 108: 1389-1394
- Slack length of gastrocnemius medialis and Achilles tendon occurs at different ankle angles.J Biomech. 2013; 46: 2534-2538
- The reliability of rehabilitative ultrasound imaging in the measurement of infraspinatus muscle function in the symptomatic and asymptomatic shoulders of patients with unilateral shoulder impingement syndrome.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2015; 10: 128-135
- The validity of rehabilitative ultrasound imaging for measurement of trapezius muscle thickness.Man Ther. 2009; 14: 572-578
- Neuroscience education in addition to trigger point dry needling for the management of patients with mechanical chronic low back pain: a preliminary clinical trial.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2015; 19: 464-472
- Exercise–induced mechanical hypoalgesia in musculotendinous tissues of the lateral elbow.Man Ther. 2010; 15: 66-73
- Exercise–induced hypoalgesia and intensity of exercise.Sports Med. 2002; 32: 477-487
- Myofascial trigger points: peripheral or central phenomenon?.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2014; 16: 395
Current affiliation for Grabowski: University of Wisconsin La Crosse, Physical Therapy Program, La Crosse, WI.
Current affiliation for Slane: Allen School of Engineering and Technology, Trine University, Angola, IN.
Current affiliation for Obermire: Samaritan Health Services, Corvallis, OR.
Supported by the UW Sports Medicine Research Fund.
Disclosures: Dr. Grabowski receives income from Kiio, Inc. for serving as a consultant on the scientific advisory board. The other authors have nothing to disclose.