List of abbreviations:MWC (manual wheelchair), PWC (power wheelchair), VE (virtual environment), VT (virtual technology), WST (Wheelchair Skills Test)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Guidelines on the provision of manual wheelchairs in less-resourced settings.(Available at:)Accessed September 21, 2015)
- Seniors.(Available at:)Accessed September 21, 2015)
- Satisfaction with participation using a manual wheelchair among individuals with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2010; 48: 691-696
- Relationship between manual wheelchair skill performance and participation of persons with spinal cord injuries 1 year after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2005; 42: 65-73
- Manual wheelchair skills capacity predicts quality of life and community integration in persons with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 2237-2243
- Prevalence of rotator cuff tear in paraplegic patients compared with controls.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 23-30
- The effect of symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome on ultrasonographic median nerve measures before and after wheelchair propulsion.PM R. 2011; 3: 803-810
- A survey of adult power wheelchair and scooter users.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2010; 5: 411-419
- Wheelchair-related accidents caused by tips and falls among noninstitutionalized users of manually propelled wheelchairs in Nova Scotia.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 73: 319-330
- Wheelchair users at home: few home modifications and many injurious falls.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 48
- Wheelchair-related accidents: relationship with wheelchair-using behavior in active community wheelchair users.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 892-898
- Wheelchair related injuries treated in US emergency departments.Inj Prev. 2006; 12: 8-11
- Fatal wheelchair-related accidents in the United States.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1990; 69: 184-190
- Important wheelchair skills for new manual wheelchair users: health care professional and wheelchair user perspectives.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2017; 12: 28-38
- Wheelchair-related falls: current evidence and directions for improved quality care.J Nurs Care Qual. 2005; 20: 119-127
Kirby R, Parker K, McAllister M, et al. Wheelchair Skills Program (WSP) Manual. Dalhousie University. Available at: www.wheelchairskillsprogram.ca/eng/manual.php. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Wheelchair skills training program: a randomized clinical trial of wheelchair users undergoing initial rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 41-50
- Efficacy and retention of the French-Canadian version of the wheelchair skills training program for manual wheelchair users: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 940-948
- Effectiveness of group wheelchair skills training for people with spinal cord injury: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1777-1784.e3
- Wheelchair skills training for community-based manual wheelchair users: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 2316-2323
- Effectiveness of a wheelchair skills training program for powered wheelchair users: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 2017-2026.e3
- Powered wheelchair skills training for persons with stroke: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 93: 1031-1043
- A clinical trial of a rehabilitation expert clinician versus usual care for providing manual wheelchairs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1712-1720
- Relationships between wheelchair skills, wheelchair mobility and level of injury in individuals with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 37-41
- Return to work five years after spinal cord injury inpatient rehabilitation: is it related to wheelchair capacity at discharge?.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 73-79
- Wheelchair skills training to improve confidence with using a manual wheelchair among older adults: a pilot study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1031-1037
- Predictors of mobility among wheelchair using residents in long-term care.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 1587-1593
- Association of mode of locomotion and independence in locomotion with long-term outcomes after spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 237-248
- The role of self-efficacy in the wheelchair skills-physical activity relationship among manual wheelchair users with spinal cord injury.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 625-632
- User involvement in service delivery predicts outcomes of assistive technology use: a cross-sectional study in Bangladesh.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 330
- A description of manual wheelchair skills training: current practices in Canadian rehabilitation centers.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2015; 10: 393-400
- Proportion of wheelchair users who receive wheelchair skills training during an admission to a Canadian rehabilitation center.Top Geriatr Rehabil. 2015; 31: 58-66
- Manual wheelchair propulsion by people with hemiplegia: within-participant comparisons of forward versus backward techniques.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1707-1713
- Manual wheelchair skills capacity and safety of residents of a long-term-care facility.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 663-669
- Group physical therapy during inpatient rehabilitation for acute spinal cord injury: findings from the SCIRehab Study.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 1877-1891
- Prosthesis and wheelchair use in veterans with lower-limb amputation.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2009; 46: 567-576
Salatin B, Rice I, Teodorski E, Ding D, Cooper R, editors. A survey of outdoor electric powered wheelchair driving. In: Proceedings of the 33rd RESNA International Conference; June 26-30, 2010; Las Vegas, NV.
- Guidelines on the provision of manual wheelchairs in less resourced settings.(Available at:)http://www.who.int/disabilities/publications/technology/English%20Wheelchair%20Guidelines%20(EN%20for%20the%20web).pdf(Accessed October 7, 2015)
- Digital game-based learning.Paragon House, 2007
- Virtual environment training: a new tool for neurorehabilitation.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2002; 26: 62-71
- A SWOT analysis of the field of virtual reality rehabilitation and therapy.Presence. 2005; 14: 119-146
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 264-269
Fuchs P, Moreau G. The treatise on virtual reality, volume 1: foundations and behavioural interfaces [French]. 2003. Paris: Presses de l'Ecole des Mines.
- Motor learning and virtual reality.in: Weiss P.L. Keshner E.A. Levin M.F. Virtual reality for physical and motor rehabilitation. Springer New York, New York2014: 25-46
- When is virtual reality “therapy”?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 795-798
- Considerations for the future development of virtual technology as a rehabiliation tool.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2004; 1: 13
- Video game.(Available at:)Accessed November 2, 2015)
Giunti G, Baum A, Giunta D, et al, editors. Serious games: a concise overview on what they are and their potential applications to healthcare. In: MEDINFO 2015: EHealth-enabled Health. Proceedings of the 15th World Congress on Health and Biomedical Informatics; August 19-23, 2015: Sao Paulo, Brazil: IOS Press. p. 386-90.
- Proposal: a mixed methods appraisal tool for systematic mixed studies reviews.(Available at:)Accessed November 3, 2015)
Alshaer A, Hoermann S, Regenbrecht H, editors. Influence of peripheral and stereoscopic vision on driving performance in a power wheelchair simulator system. In: 2013 International Conference on Virtual Rehabilitation; August 26-29, 2013; Philadelphia: IEEE.
Anthierens C, Impagliazzo J, Dupuis Y, editors. A specific locomotion interface for virtual reality - design of a wheelchair type haptic. In: Third International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics: Robotics and Automation; August 1-5, 2006; Setúbal, Portugal.
Archambault PS, Routhier F, Hamel M, Boissy P, editors. Analysis of movement to develop a virtual reality powered-wheelchair simulator. In: 2008 Virtual Rehabilitation; August 25-27, 2008; Vancouver, BC, Canada: IEEE.
Archambault PS, Chong JNF, Sorrento G, Routhier F, Boissy P, editors. Comparison of powered wheelchair driving performance in a real and in a simulated environment. In: 2011 International Conference on Virtual Rehabilitation; June 27-29, 2011; Zurich, Switzerland: IEEE.
Archambault PS, Blackburn É, Routhier F, Reid D, Miller WC, Kirby RL, editors. Development and user validation of driving tasks for a power wheelchair simulator. In: 2015 International Conference on Virtual Rehabilitation Proceedings; June 9-12, 2015; Valencia, Spain: IEEE.
- Characterization of the immediate effect of a training session on a manual wheelchair simulator with haptic biofeedback: towards more effective propulsion.IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2015; 23: 104-115
- Design and application of a novel Virtual Reality Navigational Technology (VRNChair).J Exp Neurosci. 2014; 8: 7-14
Caetano D, Mattioli F, Lamounier E, Cardoso A, editors. [DEMO] On the use of augmented reality techniques in a telerehabilitation environment for wheelchair users' training. In: 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR); September 10-12, 2014; Munich, Germany: IEEE.
Chénier F. Développement d’un simulateur de propulsion en fauteuil roulant manuel avec biofeedback haptique: École de technologie supérieure; 2012.
- Comparison of virtual and real electric powered wheelchair driving using a position sensing joystick and an isometric joystick.Med Eng Phys. 2002; 24: 703-708
- A virtual reality based training system for disabled children.Advancement of Assistive Technology. 1997; 3: 139
- Virtual electric power wheelchair driving performance of individuals with spastic cerebral palsy.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 823
Edey JK, Seaborn K, Branje C, Fels DI, editors. Powered to play: a mixed reality game for people driving powered chairs. In: Games Media Entertainment (GEM), 2014 IEEE; October 22-23, 2014; Toronto, ON, Canada: IEEE.
French B, Tyamagundlu D, Siewiorek DP, Smailagic A, Ding D, editors. Towards a virtual coach for manual wheelchair users. In: 2008 12th IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computers; Setpember 28- October 1, 2008; Pittsburgh, PA: IEEE.
- Command of a simulated wheelchair on a virtual environment using a brain-computer interface.IRBM. 2009; 30: 218-225
- Feasibility of the enhancing participation in the community by improving wheelchair skills (EPIC Wheels) program: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2013; 14: 1
Herrlich M, Meyer R, Malaka R, Heck H, editors. Development of a virtual electric wheelchair–simulation and assessment of physical fidelity using the Unreal Engine 3. In: International Conference on Entertainment Computing; September 8-11, 2010; Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. p. 286-93.
Inoue T, Hirose H, Yasuo S, Kazunori H, editors. Development of a simulator of powered wheelchair. In: Proceedings of the RESNA ’98 Conference; June 26-30, 1998; Minneapolis: ERIC.
- Perceived workload between experienced and novice power wheelchair users while using a wheelchair driving simulator.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 10: e60-e61
- WHEELOGO: navigation in virtual space by wheelchairs and LOGO.Advancement of Assistive Technology. 1997; 3: 314
Ktena SI, Abbott W, Faisal AA, editors. A virtual reality platform for safe evaluation and training of natural gaze-based wheelchair driving. In: 2015 7th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER); April 22-24, 2015; Montpellier, France: IEEE.
Lanyi CS, Tolgyesy SM, Szucs V, Toth Z, editors. Wheelchair driving simulator: computer aided training for persons with special need. In: 2015 6th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom); October 19-21, 2015; Gyor, Hungary: IEEE.
Nybakke A, Ramakrishnan R, Interrante V, editors. From virtual to actual mobility: Assessing the benefits of active locomotion through an immersive virtual environment using a motorized wheelchair. In: 2012 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces (3DUI); 2012; IEEE.
Nybakke A, Ramakrishnan R, Interrante V, editors. Are motorized wheelchairs an effective method of locomotion in virtual environments? In: 2012 IEEE Virtual Reality Workshops (VRW); 2012; IEEE.
- Does computer game play aid in motivation of exercise and increase metabolic activity during wheelchair ergometry?.Med Eng Phys. 2001; 23: 267-273
Ponce P, Molina A, Mendoza R, Ruiz MA, Monnard DG, Del Campo LDF, editors. Intelligent wheelchair and virtual training by labVIEW. In: Mexican International Conference on Artificial Intelligence; November 8-13, 2010; Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. p. 422-35.
Randria I, Abellard A, Khelifa MB, Abellard P, Ramanantsizehena P, editors. Evaluation of trajectory applied to collaborative rehabilitation for a wheelchair driving simulator. In: 4th European Conference of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering; November 23-27, 2009; Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. p. 1843-6.
- Using a smart wheelchair as a gaming device for floor-projected games: a mixed-reality environment for training powered-wheelchair driving skills.Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 2011; 173: 450-456
Secco EL, Sottile R, Davalli A, Calori L, Cappello A, Chiari L, editors. VR-Wheel: a rehabilitation platform for motor recovery. In: 2007 Virtual Rehabilitation; Setpember 27-29, 2007; Venice, Italy: IEEE.
Sonar AV, Burdick KD, Begin RR, et al, editors. Development of a virtual reality-based power wheel chair simulator. In: IEEE International Conference Mechatronics and Automation, 2005; July 29-August 1, 2005; Niagra Falls, On, Canada: IEEE.
- Development of a wheelchair virtual driving environment: trials with subjects with traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 996-1003
- The use of virtual reality to train powered wheelchair users and test new wheelchair systems.Int J Rehabil Res. 2000; 23: 321-326
Suqita N, Yoshizawa M, Kojima Y, et al, editors. Evaluation of navigation skill of elderly people using the cycling wheel chair in a virtual environment. In: 2015 International Conference on Virtual Rehabilitation Proceedings (ICVR); 2013; IEEE.
Tao G, Archambault P, editors. Using a 3D hand motion controller in a virtual power wheelchair simulator for navigation-reaching. In: 2015 International Conference on Virtual Rehabilitation Proceedings (ICVR); March 18-20, 2015; Lake Buena Vista, FL: IEEE.
Zatla H, Hadj-Abdelkader A, Morere Y, Bourhis G, editors. OPCM model application on a 3D simulator for powered wheelchair. In: Virtual Rehabilitation Proceedings (ICVR), 2015 International Conference on; June 9-12, 2015; Valencia, Spain: IEEE.
- Virtual environments for powered wheelchair learner drivers: case studies.Technol Disabil. 2009; 21: 97-106
- Driving performance in a power wheelchair simulator.Disabil Rehabil Assistive Technol. 2012; 7: 226-233
- The role of virtual reality technology in the assessment and training of inexperienced powered wheelchair users.Disabil Rehabil. 2002; 24: 599-606
- Use of a computer simulator for training children with disabilities in the operation of a powered wheelchair.Am J Occup Ther. 1998; 52: 215-220
- Joystick-controlled video console game practice for developing power wheelchairs users’ indoor driving skills.J Phys Ther Sci. 2015; 27: 495
- Efficacy of a powered wheelchair simulator for school aged children: a randomized controlled trial.Rehabil Psychol. 2013; 58: 405
Majdolashrafi M, Ahmadabadi MN, Ghazavi A, editors. A desktop virtual environment to train motorized wheelchair driving. In: 2002 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics; October 6-9, 2002; Yasmine Hammamet, Tunisia: IEEE.
Morère Y, Bourhis G, Cosnuau K, Guilmois G, Blangy E, Rumilly É, editors. ViEW, a wheelchair simulator for driving analysis. In: 2015 International Conference on Virtual Rehabilitation Proceedings (ICVR); June 9-12, 2015; Valencia, Spain: IEEE.
- Powered wheelchair simulator development: implementing combined navigation-reaching tasks with a 3D hand motion controller.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2016; 13: 1
- Computer-assisted training for improving wheelchair mobility in unilateral neglect patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 769-775
- The Wheelchair Skills Test: a pilot study of a new outcome measure.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 10-18
- The current state of health care for people with disabilities.National Council on Disability, Washington, DC2009
- User-centered design and interactive health technologies for patients.Comput Inform Nurs. 2009; 27: 175
- Occupational therapy practice framework: domain and process.Am J Occup Ther. 2002; 56: 609-639
- Enabling occupational performance: optimal experiences in therapy.Can J Occup Ther. 1999; 66: 14-22
- Measurement properties of the Wheelchair Skills Test–Questionnaire for powered wheelchair users.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2016; 11: 400-406
- Reliability of the performance and safety scores of the wheelchair skills test version 4.1 for manual wheelchair users.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1752-1757