- •Self-regulatory strategies are important correlates of physical activity in multiple sclerosis (MS).
- •Relapse prevention was a unique predictor of physical activity behavior.
- •Self-efficacy was an important determinant of physical activity behavior in MS.
- •Relapse prevention presumably works via self-efficacy in persons with MS.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), EDSS (Expanded Disability Status Scale), EXSE (Exercise Self-Efficacy Scale), GLTEQ (Godin Leisure-Time Exercise Questionnaire), HCS (health contribution score), MS (multiple sclerosis), PASR-12 (12-item Physical Activity Self-Regulation Scale), SCT (Social Cognitive Theory)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Axonal loss in multiple sclerosis: causes and mechanisms.Handb Clin Neurol. 2014; 122: 101-113
- Axonal loss in the pathology of MS: consequences for understanding the progressive phase of the disease.J Neurol Sci. 2003; 206: 165-171
- Neurological disability and its association with walking impairment in multiple sclerosis: brief review.Neurodegener Dis Manag. 2014; 4: 491-500
- Cognitive dysfunction in multiple sclerosis. I. Frequency, patterns, and prediction.Neurology. 1991; 41: 685-691
- A multimodal approach to managing the symptoms of multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2004; 63: S12-S18
- Quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis.Acta Clin Croat. 2013; 52: 107-111
- Quality of life in multiple sclerosis (MS) and role of fatigue, depression, anxiety, and stress: a bicenter study from north of Iran.Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2014; 19: 593-599
- Benefits of exercise training in multiple sclerosis.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2015; 15: 1-9
- Effects of exercise training on fitness, mobility, fatigue, and health-related quality of life among adults with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review to inform guideline development.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1800-1828
- The benefits of exercise training in multiple sclerosis.Nat Rev Neurol. 2012; 8: 487-497
- Effects of physiotherapy interventions on balance in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 811-823
- Systematic, evidence-based review of exercise, physical activity, and physical fitness effects on cognition in persons with multiple sclerosis.Neuropsychol Rev. 2016; 26: 271-294
- Exercise therapy for fatigue in multiple sclerosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : CD009956
- Effect of exercise on depressive symptoms in adults with neurologic disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1329-1338
- The effect of exercise on depressive symptoms in multiple sclerosis based on a meta-analysis and critical review of the literature.Eur J Neurol. 2015; 22 (443-e34)
- Effect of exercise training on quality of life in multiple sclerosis: a meta-analysis.Mult Scler. 2008; 14: 129-135
- People with MS are less physically active than healthy controls but as active as those with other chronic diseases: an updated meta-analysis.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2017; 13: 38-43
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. BRFSS prevalence & trends data. 2009. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/brfssprevalence/index.html. Accessed December 19, 2017.
- Objectively quantified physical activity in persons with multiple sclerosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2342-2348
- American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1334-1359
- Modifiable psychosocial constructs associated with physical activity participation in people with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1453-1475
- The role of behavioral science theory in development and implementation of public health interventions.Annu Rev Public Health. 2010; 31: 399-418
- Current trends in exercise intervention research, technology, and behavioral change strategies for people with disabilities: a scoping review.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 96: 748-751
- Social cognitive theory of self-regulation.Organ Behav Hum Decis Process. 1991; 50: 248-287
- Social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory.Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs1986
- Measuring physical activity self-regulation strategies in older adults.J Phys Act Health. 2009; 6: S105-S112
- Health promotion by social cognitive means.Health Educ Behav. 2004; 31: 143-164
- Exercise in patients with multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2017; 16: 848-856
- Self-efficacy and the maintenance of exercise participation in older adults.J Behav Med. 1993; 16: 103-113
- Correlates of physical activity among individuals with multiple sclerosis.Ann Behav Med. 2006; 32: 154-161
- The Godin-Shephard Leisure-Time Physical Activity Questionnaire.Health Fitness J Can. 2011; 4: 18-22
- Reliability of physical-activity measures over six months in adults with multiple sclerosis: implications for designing behavioral interventions.Behav Med. 2014; 40: 29-33
- Validity of physical activity measures in ambulatory individuals with multiple sclerosis.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 1151-1156
- Physical activity and multiple sclerosis: validity of self-report and objective measures.Fam Community Health. 2007; 30: 144-150
- Physical activity in pediatric onset multiple sclerosis: validating a questionnaire for clinical practice and research.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2016; 10: 26-29
- Internet intervention for increasing physical activity in persons with multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2011; 17: 116-128
- Randomized controlled trial of a behavioral intervention targeting symptoms and physical activity in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2014; 20: 594-601
- Pragmatic intervention for increasing self-directed exercise behaviour and improving important health outcomes in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomised controlled trial.Mult Scler. 2014; 20: 1112-1122
- The Godin-Shephard Leisure-Time Physical Activity Questionnaire: validity evidence supporting its use for classifying healthy adults into active and insufficiently active categories.Percept Mot Skills. 2015; 120: 604-622
- Validation of the Godin Leisure-Time Exercise Questionnaire classification coding system using accelerometry in multiple sclerosis.Rehabil Psychol. 2017 July 31; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah1988: 20-26
- The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51: 1173-1182
- Disability in multiple sclerosis: a reference for patients and clinicians.Neurology. 2013; 80: 1018-1024
- Natural history of multiple sclerosis symptoms.Int J MS Care. 2013; 15: 146-158
Federation Multiple Sclerosis International. Atlas of MS: mapping multiple sclerosis around the world. 2013. Available at: https://www.msif.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Atlas-of-MS.pdf. Accessed November 13, 2017.
- Employment and absenteeism in working-age persons with multiple sclerosis.J Med Econ. 2017; 20: 493-502
- Relapse prevention.The Guilford Pr, New York1985