To examine the effect of whole-body vibration (WBV) on running biomechanics in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR).
Single-blind randomized crossover trial.
Individuals (N=20) with unilateral ACLR (age [± SD]=22.3 [±3.3] years; mass=71.8 [±15.3] kg; time since ACLR=44.9 [±22.8] months; 15 females, 10 patellar tendon autograft, 7 hamstrings autograft, 3 allograft; International Knee Documentation Committee Score=83.5 [±9.3]).
Main Outcome Measure
Participants performed isometric squats while being exposed to WBV or no vibration (control). WBV and control conditions were delivered in a randomized order during separate visits separated by 1-week washout periods. Running biomechanics of the injured and uninjured limbs were evaluated before and immediately after each intervention. Dependent variables included peak vertical ground reaction force (GRF) and loading rate (LR), peak knee flexion angle and external moment, and knee flexion excursion during the stance phase of running.
There was an increase in knee flexion excursion (+4.1°, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.65, 7.5°) and a trend toward a reduction in instantaneous LR after WBV in the injured limb (−4.03 BW/sec−1, 95% CI −0.38, −7.69). No effect was observed on peak GRF, peak knee flexion angle, or peak external knee flexion moment, and no effect was observed in the uninjured limb.
Our findings indicate that a single session of WBV acutely increases knee flexion excursion. WBV could be useful to improve running characteristics in individuals with knee pathology.
List of abbreviations:ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), ACLR (anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction), ANOVA (analysis of variance), BW (body weight), CI (confidence interval), GRF (ground reaction force), LR (loading rate), LSI (limb symmetry index), OA (osteoarthritis), PT (peak torque), RTD (rate of torque development), WBV (whole-body vibration)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incidence of anterior cruciate ligament tears and reconstruction: a 21-year population-based study.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 1502-1507
- Societal and economic impact of anterior cruciate ligament tears.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 1751-1759
- Osteoarthritis prevalence following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review and numbers-needed-to-treat analysis.J Athl Train. 2014; 49: 806-819
- High prevalence of knee osteoarthritis, pain, and functional limitations in female soccer players twelve years after anterior cruciate ligament injury.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 50: 3145-3152
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors among US adults with self-reported osteoarthritis: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Am J Manag Care. 2002; 8: S383-S391
- Long-term gait deviations in anterior cruciate ligament-reconstructed females.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013; 45: 1340-1347
- The effect of insufficient quadriceps strength on gait after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2002; 17: 56-63
- Inter-limb differences in impulsive loading following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in females.J Biomech. 2016; 49: 3017-3021
- Jogging biomechanics after exercise in individuals with ACL-reconstructed knees.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014; 46: 1067-1076
- Quadriceps function and gait kinetics after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016; 48: 1664-1670
- Interactions between kinematics and loading during walking for the normal and ACL deficient knee.J Biomech. 2005; 38: 293-298
- Loading and gait symmetry during level and stair walking in asymptomatic subjects with knee osteoarthritis: importance of quadriceps femoris in reducing impact force during heel strike?.Knee. 2007; 14: 231-238
- Sagittal plane knee joint moments following anterior cruciate ligament injury and reconstruction: a systematic review.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2010; 25: 277-283
- Maximizing quadriceps strength after ACL reconstruction.Clin Sports Med. 2008; 27 (vii-ix): 405-424
- A neuromuscular mechanism of posttraumatic osteoarthritis associated with ACL injury.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2009; 37: 147-153
- Arthrogenic quadriceps inhibition and rehabilitation of patients with extensive traumatic knee injuries.Clin Sci (Lond). 1994; 86: 305-310
- Arthrogenic muscle inhibition: a limiting factor in joint rehabilitation.J Sport Rehabil. 2000; 9: 135-159
- Whole body and local muscle vibration immediately improves quadriceps function in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1121-1129
- Immediate effect of vibratory stimuli on quadriceps function in healthy adults.Muscle Nerve. 2016; 54: 469-478
- Is whole-body vibration training effective?.Strength Cond J. 2016; 38: 72-74
- Clinical strategies for addressing muscle weakness following knee injury.Clin Sports Med. 2015; 34: 285-300
- Whole body and local muscle vibration reduce artificially induced quadriceps arthrogenic inhibition.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 2021-2028
- Comparing the effects of various whole-body vibration accelerations on counter-movement jump performance.J Sports Sci Med. 2008; 7: 144-150
- Whole body vibration immediately decreases lower extremity loading during the drop jump.J Strength Cond Res. 2016; 30: 2476-2481
- Effects of whole-body vibration training with quadriceps strengthening exercise on functioning and gait parameters in patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled preliminary study.Physiotherapy. 2016; 102: 86-92
- Does acute whole-body vibration training improve the physical performance of people with knee osteoarthritis?.J Strength Cond Res. 2012; 26: 2983-2989
- Acute effects of whole-body vibration on running gait in marathon runners.J Sports Sci. 2014; 32: 1120-1126
- Whole body vibration improves early rate of torque development in individuals with ACL reconstruction.J Strength Cond Res. 2017; 31: 2992-3000
- Relationship between lower limb muscle activity and platform acceleration during whole-body vibration exercise.J Strength Cond Res. 2015; 29: 2844-2853
- Quadriceps function and hamstrings co-activation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Athl Train. 2017; 52: 422-428
- A joint coordinate system for the clinical description of three-dimensional motions: application to the knee.J Biomech Eng. 1983; 105: 136-144
- Biomechanical factors associated with tibial stress fracture in female runners.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006; 38: 323-328
- Sagittal plane kinematics predict kinetics during walking gait in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2016; 39: 9-13
- Gait and neuromuscular adaptations after using a feedback-based gait monitoring knee brace.Gait Posture. 2010; 32: 242-247
- Rate of blunt impact loading affects changes in retropatellar cartilage and underlying bone in the rabbit patella.J Biomech. 2002; 35: 747-755
- Correlations between sagittal plane kinematics and landing impact force during single-leg lateral jump-landings.J Phys Ther Sci. 2016; 28: 2316-2321
- Knee loading deficits during dynamic tasks in individuals following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 411-419
- The acute effects of local muscle vibration frequency on peak torque, rate of torque development, and EMG activity.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2014; 24: 888-894
- Sagittal plane joint loading is related to knee flexion in osteoarthritic gait.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2013; 28: 916-920
- Gait adaptations by patients who have a deficient anterior cruciate ligament.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990; 72: 871-877
- Hamstring strength asymmetry at 3 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction alters knee mechanics during gait and jogging.Am J Sport Med. 2017; 45: 97-105
- The association of quadriceps strength with the knee adduction moment in medial knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 451-458
- The human muscle spindle and its fusimotor control.in: Ferrell W.R. Proske U. Neural control of movement. Springer, Boston, MA1995: 19-25
- The effects of whole body vibration on balance, joint position sense and cutaneous sensation.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011; 111: 3069-3077
Published online: February 03, 2018
Financial Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Statement: none.
Clinical Trials Registration No.: NCT02851316.
Supported by the California State University Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Incentive Grant Program.
© 2018 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine