- •Caregivers significantly enhance the wheelchair skills capacity and confidence of the power wheelchair users to whom they provide assistance.
- •The nature and benefits of the caregivers' assistance could be summarized in 7 themes, for instance caregiver provides verbal support (eg, by cueing, coaching, or reporting about the environment).
- •These findings have significance for wheelchair skills assessment and training and for the planning of posthospital care.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:WST (Wheelchair Skills Test), WST-Q (Wheelchair Skills Test-Questionnaire)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Prevalence of wheelchair and scooter use among community-dwelling Canadians.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 1135-1142
- Powered mobility for middle-aged and older adults: systematic review of outcomes and appraisal of published evidence.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 87: 666-680
- Changes in the quality of life in severely disabled people following provision of powered indoor/outdoor chairs.Disabil Rehabil. 2003; 25: 286-290
- Perceptions of power mobility use and safety within residential facilities.Can J Occup Ther. 2005; 72: 142-152
- The value of an outdoor powered wheelchair with regard to the quality of life of persons with stroke: a follow-up study.Assist Technol. 2007; 19: 143-153
- Older people's use of powered wheelchairs for activity and participation.J Rehabil Med. 2004; 36: 70-77
- The effect of electrically powered indoor/outdoor wheelchairs on occupation: a study of users' views.Br J Occup Ther. 2000; 63: 547-553
- The effect of equipment usage and residual task difficulty on use of personal assistance, days in bed, and nursing home placement.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 72-79
- Introduction of a new NHS electric powered indoor/outdoor chair (EPIOC) service: benefits, risks and implications for prescribers.Clin Rehabil. 2000; 14: 665-673
- Pediatric powered wheelchairs: results of a national survey of providers.Assist Technol. 2005; 17: 144-158
- Impact of wheeled seated mobility devices on adult users' and their caregivers' occupational performance: a critical literature review.Can J Occup Ther. 2002; 69: 261-280
- How assistive technology use by individuals with disabilities impacts their caregivers: a systematic review of the research evidence.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 984-998
- Development and preliminary evaluation of the Caregiver Assistive Technology Outcome Measure.J Rehabil Med. 2015; 47: 412-418
- Exploring intelligent power wheelchair use: the users' and caregivers' perspective.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014; 11: 2244-2261
- The potential impact of intelligent power wheelchair use on social participation: perspectives of users, caregivers, and clinicians.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2015; 10: 191-197
- Social support and caregiving burden in family caregivers of frail elders.J Gerontol. 1993; 48: S245-S254
- Restricted participation in stroke caregivers: who is at risk?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1284-1290
- Cost-effectiveness of powered mobility devices for elderly people with disability.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2017; 12: 115-120
- Electric-powered indoor/outdoor wheelchairs (EPIOCs): users' views of influence on family, friends and carers.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2010; 5: 327-338
- Understanding the burden experienced by caregivers of older adults who use a powered wheelchair: a cross-sectional study.Gerontol Geriatr Med. 2017; 3: 1-8
- The needs of carers who push wheelchairs.J Integr Care. 2012; 20: 23-34
- Power mobility driving training for seniors: a pilot study.Assist Technol. 2005; 17: 47-56
- Powered wheelchair skills training for persons with stroke: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 93: 1031-1043
- Effectiveness of a wheelchair skills training program for powered wheelchair users: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 2017-2026.e3
- Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.BMJ. 2007; 335: 806-808
- Wheelchair skills tests: a systematic review.Clin Rehabil. 2003; 17: 418-430
- Reliability and validity of the power-mobility community driving assessment.Assist Technol. 2007; 19: 154-163
- A systematic review of wheelchair skills tests for manual wheelchair users with a spinal cord injury: towards a standardized outcome measure.Clin Rehabil. 2010; 24: 867-886
- Measurement properties of the Wheelchair Skills Test - Questionnaire for powered wheelchair users.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2016; 11: 400-406
- Wheelchair Skills Test dynamic link.(Available at:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=wheelchair+skills+test+[Text+Word]+OR+(wheelchair*+[Text+Word]+AND+(WST+[Text+Word]+OR+WST-Q+[Text+Word]))%20Date accessed: June 15, 2017
- Wheelchair Skills Program (WSP) manual: version 4.3.1.(Available at:)www.wheelchairskillsprogram.ca/eng/manual.phpDate accessed: June 16, 2017
- Wheelchair skills assessment and training.CRC Press, Florida2016
- Development and content validation of the Wheelchair Use Confidence Scale: a mixed-methods study.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2011; 6: 57-66
- Manual wheelchair skills capacity predicts quality of life and community integration in persons with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 2237-2243
- Wheelchair skills capacity and performance of manual wheelchair users with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1761-1769
- Manual wheelchair skills training for community-dwelling veterans with spinal cord injury: a randomized controlled trial.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0168330
- Wheelchair Skills Training Program dynamic link.(Available at:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=(wheelchair+skills[Text+Word]+AND+training[Title/Abstract]+AND+(program*[Title/Abstract]+OR++boot+camp[Title/Abstract]+OR+approach[Title/Abstract])+OR+(wheelchair[Title]+AND+skills[Title]+AND+workshop[Title]+OR+25299526[uid]))+NOT+wheelchair+skills+test[Title]Date accessed: June 15, 2017
- Effectiveness and safety of wheelchair skills training program in improving the wheelchair skills capacity: a systematic review.Clin Rehabil. 2017; 31: 1573-1582
- The wheelchair-handling skills of caregivers and the effect of training.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 2011-2019
- A clinical trial of rehabilitation expert clinician versus usual care for providing manual wheelchairs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1712-1720
- Relationship between manual wheelchair skill performance and participation of persons with spinal cord injuries 1 year after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2005; 42: 65-74
- Return to work after spinal cord injury.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 88: 47-56
- Relationships between wheelchair skills, wheelchair mobility and level of injury in individuals with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 37-41
- Predictors of mobility among wheelchair using residents in long-term care.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 1587-1593
- Association of mode of locomotion and independence in locomotion with long-term outcomes after spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 237-248
- The role of self-efficacy in the wheelchair skills-physical activity relationship among manual wheelchair users with spinal cord injury.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 625-632
- User involvement in service delivery predicts outcomes of assistive technology use: a cross-sectional study in Bangladesh.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 330
- [Assessment of the burden of adult wheelchair-bound patients with neurological disabilities on the caregiver].Cien Saude Colet. 2016; 21 ([Portuguese]): 3193-3202
Routhier F, Kirby RL, Demers L. Translation of the wheelchair skills program into Canadian-French: an internationalization experience. In: Proceedings of the 21st World Congress of Rehabilitation International; 2008 Aug 25-28; Québec City (Canada). New York: Rehabilitiation International; 2008.
- Programme d'habiletés en fauteuil roulant.(Available at:)http://www.wheelchairskillsprogram.ca/fr/Date accessed: July 4, 2017
- What is wrong with Bonferroni adjustments.BMJ. 1998; 136: 1236-1238
Supported by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research CanWheel team in Wheeled Mobility for Older Adults (no. AMG-100925) for operating funds; and the Fonds de recherche du Québec-Santé for salary support.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT1020645.