To evaluate the accuracy of inlet and outlet ultrasonography measurements for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).
MEDLINE, EMBASE, the Cochrane Library, and the Web of Science databases were systematically searched from inception to February 2017.
Observational studies comparing the diagnostic accuracy of inlet and outlet ultrasonography measurements were selected.
Random-effects models for the diagnostic odds ratio (dOR) values computed by Moses' constant for a linear model and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were used to calculate the accuracy of the test. Hierarchical summary receiver operating characteristic curves were used to summarize overall test performance.
Twenty-eight published studies were included in the meta-analysis. The pooled dOR values for the diagnosis of CTS were 31.11 (95% CI, 20.42–47.40) for inlet-level and 16.94 (95% CI, 7.58–37.86) for outlet-level measurements. The 95% confidence region for the point that summarizes overall test performance of the included studies occurred where the cutoffs ranged from 9.0 to 12.6mm2 for inlet-level measurements and from 9.5 to 10.0mm2 for outlet-level measurements.
Both ultrasonography measurements for the diagnosis of CTS showed sufficient accuracy for their use in clinical settings, although the overall accuracy was slightly higher for inlet-level than for outlet-level measurements. The addition of outlet and inlet measurements does not increase the accuracy for the diagnosis. Therefore, the inlet-level ultrasonography measurement appears to be an appropriate method for the diagnosis of CTS.
List of abbreviations:AUC (area under the curve), CI (confidence interval), CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome), dOR (diagnostic odds ratio), HSROC (hierarchical summary receiver operating characteristic), NLR (negative likelihood ratio), PLR (positive likelihood ratio)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome in a general population.JAMA. 1999; 282: 153-158
- Diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of the carpal tunnel syndrome: a review.Neurol Sci. 2010; 31: 243-252
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: prevalence in the general population.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 373-376
- Incidence of physician-diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome in the general population.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 943-944
- Clinical features of 1039 patients with neurophysiological diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2004; 107: 64-69
- Median nerve ultrasound as a screening tool in carpal tunnel syndrome: correlation of cross-sectional area measures with electrodiagnostic abnormality.Muscle Nerve. 2012; 46: 871-878
- The value of ultrasonographic measurement in carpal tunnel syndrome in patients with negative electrodiagnostic tests.Eur J Radiol. 2005; 56: 365-369
- Practice parameter: electrodiagnostic studies in carpal tunnel syndrome. Report of the American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine, American Academy of Neurology, and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.Neurology. 2002; 58: 1589-1592
- Severity of carpal tunnel syndrome assessed with high frequency ultrasonography.Rheumatol Int. 2010; 30: 761-765
- Diagnostic accuracy of ultrasonography vs. electromyography in carpal tunnel syndrome: a systematic review of literature.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2011; 37: 1539-1553
- The best cutoff point for median nerve cross sectional area at the level of carpal tunnel inlet.Acta Med Iran. 2014; 52: 613-618
- Ultrasonographic measurement of median nerve cross-sectional area in idiopathic carpal tunnel syndrome: diagnostic accuracy.Muscle Nerve. 2002; 26: 798-803
- Discriminatory sonographic criteria for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 46: 1914-1921
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: usefulness of sonography.Eur Radiol. 2000; 10: 1920-1925
- Ultrasonography for diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome: a meta-analysis of diagnostic test accuracy.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2012; 38: 1121-1128
- The sensitivity and specificity of ultrasound for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: a meta-analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 1089-1094
- Meta-analysis on the performance of sonography for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 41: 914-922
- An empirical comparison of methods for meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy showed hierarchical models are necessary.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 1095-1103
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Int J Surg. 2010; 8: 336-341
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of diagnostic test accuracy. Version 0.9.0.The Cochrane Collaboration, London2010
- QUADAS-2: a revised tool for the quality assessment of diagnostic accuracy studies.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 529-536
- Exploring sources of heterogeneity in systematic reviews of diagnostic tests.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 1525-1537
- Bivariate analysis of sensitivity and specificity produces informative summary measures in diagnostic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 982-990
- The performance of tests of publication bias and other sample size effects in systematic reviews of diagnostic test accuracy was assessed.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 882-893
- Value of power Doppler and gray-scale US in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: contribution of cross-sectional area just before the tunnel inlet as compared with the cross-sectional area at the tunnel.Korean J Radiol. 2010; 11: 632-639
- The diagnostic value of ultrasonography in patients with electrophysiologically confirmed carpal tunnel syndrome.Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2009; 49: 3-8
- The diagnostic value of ultrasound compared with nerve conduction velocity in carpal tunnel syndrome.Int J Rheum Dis. 2014; 17: 612-620
- Rev Neurol. 2015; 61: 1-6
- The significance of ultrasonographic carpal tunnel outlet measurements in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Clin Neurophysiol. 2016; 127: 3516-3523
- Ultrasound for diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: comparison of different methods to determine median nerve volume and value of power Doppler sonography.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1934-1939
- Sonography in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999; 173: 681-684
- Application of ultrasound elastography for determining carpal tunnel syndrome severity.Jpn J Radiol. 2015; 33: 273-278
- Usefulness of combination of grey-scale and color Doppler ultrasound findings in the diagnosis of ulnar nerve entrapment syndrome.J Res Med Sci. 2015; 20: 342-345
- Color and power Doppler US for diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome and determining its severity: a quantitative image processing method.Radiology. 2011; 261: 499-506
- Sonography in carpal tunnel syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 2011; 44: 485-491
- Ultrasonography of median nerve and electrophysiologic severity in carpal tunnel syndrome.Ann Rehabil Med. 2012; 36: 72-79
- Median nerve stiffness measurement by shear wave elastography: a potential sonographic method in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 434-440
- Diagnostic precision of ultrasonography in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 84: 443-450
- Carpal tunnel syndrome assessment with US: value of additional cross-sectional area measurements of the median nerve in patients versus healthy volunteers.Radiology. 2009; 250: 171-177
- Value of high-frequency ultrasound in diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8: 22418-22424
- Ultrasound evaluation of patients with moderate and severe carpal tunnel syndrome.Prague Med Rep. 2012; 113: 23-32
- Diagnostic criteria of carpal tunnel syndrome using high-resolution ultrasonography: correlation with nerve conduction studies.Skeletal Radiol. 2014; 43: 1387-1394
- Does measuring the median nerve at the carpal tunnel outlet improve ultrasound CTS diagnosis?.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 339: 47-51
- The usefulness of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008; 33: 435-439
- Screening for carpal tunnel syndrome using sonography.J Ultrasound Med. 2011; 30: 1657-1667
- Ultrasound features of carpal tunnel syndrome: a prospective case-control study.Skeletal Radiol. 2008; 37: 49-53
- Best diagnostic criterion in high-resolution ultrasonography for carpal tunnel syndrome.Chang Gung Med J. 2008; 31: 469-476
- Diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome assessed using high-frequency ultrasonography: cross-section areas of 8-site median nerve.Clin Rheumatol. 2016; 35: 2557-2564
- Diagnostic value of sonography in patients with suspected carpal tunnel syndrome: a prospective study.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 304-311
- The role of ultrasonographic measurements of the median nerve in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Clin Radiol. 2004; 59: 910-915
- Ultrasound has supplementary diagnostic value to clinical and neurophysiological studies in carpal tunnel syndrome.Egypt J Neurol Psychiatry Neurosurg. 2011; 48: 207-214
- The diagnostic value of ultrasonography in Korean carpal tunnel syndrome patients.Korean J Neurotrauma. 2013; 9: 1-5
- Sonography in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: a critical review of the literature.Muscle Nerve. 2003; 27: 26-33
- Evidence-based guideline: neuromuscular ultrasound for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 2012; 46: 287-293
- The use of diagnostic ultrasound in carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2006; 31: 726-732
- Sonographic measurement of cross-sectional area of the median nerve in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: correlation with nerve conduction studies.J Clin Ultrasound. 2009; 37: 125-131
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: a review of the recent literature.Open Orthop J. 2012; 6: 69-76
- Meta-analysis and meta-modelling for diagnostic problems.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 56
- The role of ultrasound in the diagnosis and management of carpal tunnel syndrome: a new paradigm.Rheumatology. 2015; 54: 9-19
- Ultrasound as a first-line test in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013; 471: 932-937
- Electrosonodiagnosis in carpal tunnel syndrome: a proposed diagnostic algorithm based on an analytic literature review.PM R. 2016; 8: 463-474
Published online: September 22, 2017
Supported by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport (grant no. FPU13/03137) to C.A.-B. and the University of Castilla-La Mancha (grant no. FPU13/01582) to I.C.-R.
PROSPERO Registration No.: CRD42017057722.
© 2017 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine