- •Effects of 2 different exercise trainings on pain, disability, and kinematics were evaluated.
- •Exercise training provides decreased disability and pain severity in impingement syndrome.
- •Scapular kinematic alterations were found only after combined scapular stabilization exercises.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:MDC (minimal detectable change), SIS (subacromial impingement syndrome), SPADI (Shoulder Pain and Disability Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Impingement syndrome in athletes.Am J Sports Med. 1980; 8: 151-158
- Shoulder disorders in general practice: Incidence, patient characteristics, and management.Ann Rheum Dis. 1995; 54: 959-964
- Scapular behavior in shoulder impingement syndrome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 60-69
- Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 276-291
- The association of scapular kinematics and glenohumeral joint pathologies.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009; 39: 90-104
- Critical and theoretical perspective on scapular stabilization: What does it really mean, and are we on the right track?.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 1162-1169
- Exercise in the treatment of rotator cuff impingement: a systematic review and a synthesized evidence-based rehabilitation protocol.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2009; 18: 138-160
- Shoulder function and 3-dimensional kinematics in people with shoulder impingement syndrome before and after a 6-week exercise program.Phys Ther. 2004; 84: 832-848
- Scapular-focused treatment in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.Clin Rheumatol. 2013; 32: 73-85
- Motor control retraining exercises for shoulder impingement: Effects on function, muscle activation, and biomechanics in young adults.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013; 22: e11-e19
- Impingement lesions.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1983; 173: 70-77
- Orthopaedic physical assessment.W.B. Saunders, Philedelphia1997
- Evaluation of clinical assessment methods for scapular dyskinesis.Arthroscopy. 2009; 25: 1240-1248
- The intertester reliability of the scapular assistance.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2006; 36: 653-660
- Evaluation of apparent and absolute supraspinatus strength in patients with shoulder injury using the scapular retraction test.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 1643-1647
- Evaluation and management of scapular dysfunction.Sports Med Arthrosc Rev. 2012; 20: 39-48
- A comprehensive approach to non-operative rotator cuff rehabilitation.Curr Phys Med Rehabil Rep. 2013; 1: 29-37
- Electromyographic analysis of knee push up plus variations: what is the influence of the kinetic chain on scapular muscle activity?.Br Sports Med. 2010; 44: 1010-1015
- Electromyographic analysis of specific exercises for scapular control in early phases of shoulder rehabilitation.Am J Sports Med. 2008; 36: 1789-1798
- Kinetic chain influences on upper and lower trapezius muscle activation during eight variations of a scapular retraction exercise in overhead athletes.J Sci Med Sport. 2013; 16: 65-70
- A kinetic chain approach for shoulder rehabilitation.J Athl Train. 2000; 35: 329-337
- Dynamic measurements of three-dimensional scapular kinematics: a validation study.J Biomech Eng. 2001; 123: 184-190
- Reliability and minimal detectable change of 3-dimensional scapular orientation in individuals with and without shoulder impingement.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014; 44: 341-349
- In vivo estimation of the glenohumeral joint rotation center from scapular bony landmarks by linear regression.J Biomech. 1998; 31: 93-96
- ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate systems of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion-Part II: shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.J Biomech. 2005; 38: 981-992
- The Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI): cross-cultural adaptation, reliability, and validity of the Turkish version.J Back Musculoskel Rehabil. 2008; 21: 57-62
- Learning from pain scales: patient perspective.J Rheumatol. 2003; 30: 1584-1588
- Comparison of scapular kinematics between elevation and lowering of the arm in the scapular plane.Clin Biomech. 2002; 17: 650-659
- Translations of the humerus in persons with shoulder impingement symptoms.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2002; 32: 248-259
- Direct 3-dimensional measurement of scapular kinematics during dynamic movements in vivo.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001; 10: 269-277
- Psychological and neural mechanisms of the affective dimension of pain.Science. 2000; 288: 1769-1772
- Shoulder impingement syndrome: Influence of shoulder position on rotator cuff impingement-an anatomic study.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996; 167: 1511-1515
- Effect of motor control and strengthening exercises on shoulder function in persons with impingement syndrome: a single-subject study design.Man Ther. 2009; 14: 180-188
- Efficacy of injections of corticosteroids for subacromial impingement syndrome.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996; 78: 1685-1689
- Arthroscopic surgery compared with supervised exercises in patients with rotator cuff disease (stage II impingement syndrome).BMJ. 1993; 307: 899-903
- A randomized, controlled clinical trial of a treatment for shoulder pain.Phys Ther. 1997; 77: 802-809
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT02286310.