- •Persons with stroke and Montreal Cognitive Assessment scores <20 at acute inpatient stroke rehabilitation admission are likely to have cognitive instrumental activities of daily living (C-IADL) deficits at discharge.
- •C-IADL should be screened in patients with stroke who have mild or no cognitive impairments on the Montreal Cognitive Assessment.
- •The Executive Function Performance Test bill paying task appears to be a good candidate for screening C-IADL in an inpatient rehabilitation setting.
- •Performance-based and questionnaire methods of assessing C-IADL provide different estimates of C-IADL.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AM-PAC (Activity Measure for Post-Acute Care), AUC (area under the curve), C-IADL (cognitive instrumental activities of daily living), EFPT (Executive Function Performance Test), IADL (instrumental activities of daily living), MoCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment), NIHSS (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale), ROC (receiver operating characteristic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The relationship between instrumental activities of daily living and neuropsychological performance.in: Marcotte T.D. Grant I. Neuropsychology of everyday functioning. Guilford Pr, New York2010: 93-112
- Development of an applied cognition scale to measure rehabilitation outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 2030-2035
- Replication of the multidimensionality of activities of daily living.J Gerontol. 1993; 48: S28-S32
- Performance-based testing in mild stroke: identification of unmet opportunity for occupational therapy.Am J Occup Ther. 2014; 69 (6901360010p1-5)
- Estimating functional cognition in older adults using observational assessments of task performance in complex everyday activities: a systematic review and evaluation of measurement properties.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2016; 68: 335-360
- Test manual: Executive Function Performance Test.Washington Univ, St. Louis2008
- Neurocognitive insight, treatment utilization, and cognitive training outcomes in schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2015; 161: 399-402
- Can we forget the Mini-Mental State Examination? A systematic review of the validity of cognitive screening instruments within one month after stroke.Clin Rehabil. 2015; 29: 694-704
- Cognitive screening improves the predictive value of stroke severity scores for functional outcome 3-6 months after mild stroke and transient ischaemic attack: an observational study.BMJ Open. 2013; 3: e003105
- The Mini-Mental State Examination and Montreal Cognitive Assessment in persons with mild subacute stroke: relationship to functional outcome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 792-798
- MoCA-assessed cognitive function and excellent outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage at 1 year.Eur J Neurol. 2014; 21: 725-730
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment and Mini-Mental State Examination are both valid cognitive tools in stroke.Acta Neurol Scand. 2013; 128: 122-129
- Is the Montreal Cognitive Assessment superior to the Mini-Mental State Examination to detect poststroke cognitive impairment? A study with neuropsychological evaluation.Stroke. 2011; 42: 1712-1716
- Validation and clinical utility of the Executive Function Performance Test in persons with traumatic brain injury.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2017; 27: 603-617
- Concurrent validity of the Executive Function Performance Test in people with mild stroke.Br J Occup Ther. 2011; 74: 443-449
- The relationship between neurocognitive behavior of executive functions and the EFPT in individuals with multiple sclerosis.OTJR (Thorofare N J). 2011; 31: S30-S37
- Feasibility of using the EFPT to detect executive function deficits at the acute stage of stroke.Work. 2010; 36: 405-412
- Computerized adaptive testing for follow-up after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation. I. Activity outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1033-1042
- Is patient-reported function reliable for monitoring postacute outcomes?.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 82: 614-621
- Measuring patient-reported outcomes after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation settings.J Rehabil Med. 2006; 38: 237-242
- Computer adaptive testing improved accuracy and precision of scores over random item selection in a physical functioning item bank.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 1174-1182
- Development of an IRT-based short form to assess applied cognitive function in outpatient rehabilitation.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 95: 62-71
- Agreement in functional assessment: graphic approaches to displaying respondent effects.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 85: 747-755
- Index for rating diagnostic tests.Cancer. 1950; 3: 32-35
- An examination of instrumental activities of daily living assessment in older adults and mild cognitive impairment.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2012; 34: 11-34
- Predicting functional ability in mild cognitive impairment with the Dementia Rating Scale-2.Int Psychogeriatr. 2012; 24: 987-993
- Assessment of memory self-awareness following traumatic brain injury.Brain Inj. 2010; 24: 598-608
- Executive function subcomponents and their relations to everyday functioning in healthy older adults.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2016; 38: 925-940
- Occupational therapy evaluation: use of self-report and/or observation?.Scand J Occup Ther. 2015; 22: 13-23
- Cognitive correlates of functional performance in older adults: comparison of self-report, direct observation, and performance-based measures.J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2011; 17: 853
- Relationship between the Activities Of Daily Living Questionnaire and the Montreal Cognitive Assessment.Alzheimers Dement (Amst). 2016; 4: 43-46
- Cognitive abilities and functional capacity in older adults: results from the modified Scales of Independent Behavior-Revised.Clin Neuropsychol. 2009; 23: 479-500
- MoCA cutoff score in relation to the functional assessment of seniors living in a rural Canadian community.Can J Rural Med. 2016; 21: 101-106
- Multiple Errands Test-Revised (MET-R): a performance-based measure of executive function in people with mild cerebrovascular accident.Am J Occup Ther. 2013; 67: 460-468
- The Weekly Calendar Planning Activity (WCPA): a performance test of executive function.AOTA Pr, Bethesda, MD2015
- Stroke discharges from a rehabilitation unit: 1-year and 5-year domicile outcomes. Function is important.Intern Med J. 2010; 40: 45-51
Supported by the Peter Jay Sharp Foundation and in part by the Clinical and Translational Science Center, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (grant no. UL1-TR000457-06).
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT02876783.