List of abbreviations:PFA (partial foot amputation), RR (relative risk), TTA (transtibial amputation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2013.National Cancer Institute, Bethesda2016
- Outcomes of dysvascular partial foot amputation and how these compare to transtibial amputation: a systematic review and meta-analysis for the development of shared decision making resources.Syst Rev. 2017; 6: 54
- Midfoot amputations expand limb salvage rates for diabetic foot infections.Ann Vasc Surg. 2005; 19: 805-811
- Mortality and morbidity after transmetatarsal amputation: retrospective review of 101 cases.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2006; 45: 91-97
- Transmetatarsal amputation: predictors of healing.Am Surg. 2006; 72: 973-977
- Does the proximity of an amputation, length of time between foot ulcer development and amputation, or glycemic control at the time of amputation affect the mortality rate of people with diabetes who undergo an amputation?.Adv Skin Wound Care. 2008; 21: 118-123
- The importance of limb preservation in the diabetic population.J Diabetes Complications. 2011; 25: 227-231
- Partial foot amputation in patients with diabetic foot ulcers.Foot Ankle Int. 2012; 33: 707-716
- Minor amputation and palliative wound care as a strategy to avoid major amputation in patients with foot infections and severe peripheral arterial disease.Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2014; 13: 211-219
- Very low survival rates after non-traumatic lower limb amputation in a consecutive series: what to do?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012; 14: 543-547
- Nontraumatic amputation: incidence and cost analysis.Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2012; 11: 177-179
- Survival following lower-limb amputation in a veteran population.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2001; 38: 341-345
- Mortality of first-time amputees in diabetics: a 10-year observation.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009; 83: 126-131
- Impact of chronic kidney disease on survival after amputation in individuals with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 2365-2369
- Mortality after major amputation following gangrene of the lower limb.Acta Orthop Scand. 1982; 53: 879-884
- Lower extremity ulcers and amputations in diabetics.in: Harris M.I. Bennett P.H. Boyko E.J. Cowie C.C. Dorman J.S. Everhart J.E. Herman W.H. Martin D.B. Palumbo P.J. Reiber G.E. Stern M.P. Diabetes in America. 2nd ed. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Washington (DC)1995: 409-428
- Mortality, causes of death and associated risk factors in a cohort of diabetic patients after lower-extremity amputation: a 6.5-year follow-up study in Taiwan.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 197: 111-117
Presented to the American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association, September 8–11, 2016, Boston, MA.
Supported by the American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association (grant no. RFP-04012015).
The funding body did not have any role in the design of the protocol, writing of the manuscript, or the decision to submit for publication.