Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), CI (confidence interval), NHATS (National Health and Aging Trends Study), SPPB (Short Physical Performance Battery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Health care expenditures for adults with multiple treated chronic conditions: estimates from the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, 2009.(Available at:)Accessed August 31, 2016)
- Trends in aging–United States and worldwide.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003; 52 (106): 101-104
- Multimorbidity in older adults.Epidemiol Rev. 2013; 35: 75-83
- Ageing populations: the challenges ahead.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1196-1208
- An aging nation: the older population in the United States.US Census Bureau, Washington (DC)2014
- Physical therapy use by community-based older people.Phys Ther. 2005; 85: 19-33
- Episode-based payment for the Medicare outpatient therapy benefit.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1323-1328
- Investigating differences among older adults' access to specialized rehabilitation services.J Aging Health. 2006; 18: 584-603
- Ethnic disparities in stroke epidemiology, acute care, and postacute outcomes.Stroke. 2005; 36: 374-386
Sandstrom R, Bruns A. Disparities in access to outpatient rehabilitation therapy for African Americans with arthritis. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities 2016 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print].
- The prevalence of potentially modifiable functional deficits and the subsequent use of occupational and physical therapy by older adults with cancer.J Geriatr Oncol. 2015; 6: 194-201
Kasper JD, Freedman VA. National Health and Aging Trends Study user guide: rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 beta release. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health; 2016. Available at: www.nhats.org. Accessed April 19, 2017.
- Validation of new measures of disability and functioning in the National Health and Aging Trends Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011; 66: 1013-1021
- An ultra-brief screening scale for anxiety and depression: The PHQ–4.Psychosomatics. 2009; 50: 613-621
- Measuring depression outcome with a brief self-report instrument: sensitivity to change of the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9).J Affect Disord. 2004; 81: 61-66
- The AD8 A brief informant interview to detect dementia.Neurology. 2005; 65: 559-564
Kasper JD, Freedman VA, Spillman B. Classification of persons by dementia status in the National Health and Aging Trends Study. NHATS Technical Paper #5. Available at: http://nhats.org/scripts/documents/DementiaTechnicalPaperJuly_2_4_2013_10_23_15.pdf. Accessed August 15, 2016.
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Use of outpatient physical therapy services by people with musculoskeletal conditions.Phys Ther. 2007; 87: 497-512
- Determinants of utilization of physical rehabilitation services for persons with chronic and disabling conditions: an exploratory study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 114-120
- American Community Survey Reports, ACS-29, Older Americans With a Disability: 2008–2012.(Available at:)Accessed October 23, 2016)
- Mobility limitations in the Medicare population: prevalence and sociodemographic and clinical correlates.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1217-1221
- Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions among US adults: estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2010.(Available at:)Accessed November 5, 2016)
- Mobility, disability, and social engagement in older adults.J Aging Health. 2013; 25: 617-637
- Social engagement and disability in a community population of older adults: the New Haven EPESE.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 157: 633-642
- Health-related quality of life in older adults at risk for disability.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 214-218
Institute of Medicine. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Available at: http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2002/Unequal-Treatment-Confronting-Racial-and-Ethnic-Disparities-in-Health-Care.aspx. Accessed September 2, 2016.
- Persistent and growing socioeconomic disparities in disability among the elderly: 1982-2002.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 2065-2070
- Racial/ethnic differences in the development of disability among older adults.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 2209
- Is type II diabetes associated with an increased risk of cognitive dysfunction?: a critical review of published studies.Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 438-445
- Diabetes and glucose tolerance as risk factors for cardiovascular disease: the Framingham study.Diabetes Care. 1979; 2: 120-126
- National diabetes fact sheet, 2011.(Available at:)Accessed November 6, 2016)
- Value of lifestyle intervention to prevent diabetes and sequelae.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 271-280
- Exercise and hypertension.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2001; 16: 356-359
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1230-1240
- A longitudinal study of cardiorespiratory fitness and cognitive function in healthy older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 459-465
- Utilization and clinical outcomes of outpatient physical therapy for Medicare beneficiaries with musculoskeletal conditions.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 330-335
Center for Medicare Advocacy. Jimmo v. Sebelius Improvement Standard Case Summary. Available at: http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/jimmo-v-sebelius-improvement-standard-case-summary/. Accessed October 24, 2016.