Persons who experience mild stroke typically have a short hospital stay and will show symptoms of stroke that last longer than a day. Most likely the symptoms will go away after a short period. If the symptoms of stroke last <24 hours, this is usually called a transient ischemic attack. If brain lesions are detected by a brain scan (diagnostic magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography) at the hospital,
- Jauch E.C.
- Saver J.L.
- Adams Jr., H.P.
- et al.
Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
Stroke. 2013; 44: 870-947
2a diagnosis of mild stroke will be made even if the symptoms of stroke last <24 hours.
- Duca A.
- Jagoda A.
Transient ischemic attacks: advances in diagnosis and management in the emergency department.
Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2016; 34: 811-835
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2013; 44: 870-947
- Transient ischemic attacks: advances in diagnosis and management in the emergency department.Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2016; 34: 811-835
- What is a minor stroke?.Stroke. 2010; 41: 661-666
- Outcomes in mild acute ischemic stroke treated with intravenous thrombolysis: a retrospective analysis of the Get With the Guidelines-Stroke registry.JAMA Neurol. 2015; 72: 423-431
- Consequences of mild stroke in persons <75 years – a 1-year follow-up.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003; 16: 383-388
- Natural history, predictors and outcomes of depression after stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Psychiatry. 2013; 202: 14-21
- Post-stroke depression and post-stroke anxiety: prevalence and predictors.Int Psychogeriatr. 2015; 27: 1805-1812
- Retraining moderately impaired stroke survivors in driving-related visual attention skills.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17: 328-336
- Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack. A Guideline for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2160-2236
- Fatigue, psychological and cognitive impairment following transient ischaemic attack and minor stroke: a systematic review.Eur J Neurol. 2014; 21: 1258-1267
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2532-2553
- Interventions for post-stroke fatigue.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : CD007030
- Neuropsychiatric outcomes of stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 525-534
- Cognitive and graded activity training can alleviate persistent fatigue after stroke: a randomized, controlled trial.Stroke. 2012; 43: 1046-1051
- Post-stroke depression: a review.Am J Psychiatry. 2016; 173: 221-231
- Behavioural activation for depression; an update of meta-analysis of effectiveness and sub group analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e100100
- Interpersonal emotion regulation as a mechanism of social support in depression.Clin Psychol Rev. 2011; 31: 1276-1290
- A systematic review of the impact of stroke on social support and social networks: associated factors and patterns of change.Clin Rehabil. 2016; 30: 811-831
- Changes in life habits affected by mild stroke and their association with depressive symptoms.J Rehabil Med. 2015; 47: 495-501
- The diagnosis and management of mild cognitive impairment: a clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2551-2561
- Evidence-based cognitive rehabilitation: updated review of the literature from 2003 through 2008.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 519-530
- Constraint-induced movement therapy after stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2015; 14: 224-234
- What is the evidence for physical therapy poststroke? A systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e87987
- Improving adherence to medication in stroke survivors: a pilot randomised controlled trial.Ann Behav Med. 2013; 46: 358-368
- Becoming connected: the lived experience of yoga participation after stroke.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 2404-2415
- Yoga and mindfulness as therapeutic interventions for stroke rehabilitation: a systematic review.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 2013: 357108
- The beneficial effects of Tai Chi Chuan on blood pressure and lipid profile and anxiety status in a randomized controlled trial.J Altern Complement Med. 2003; 9: 747-754
- Tai Chi exercise and stroke rehabilitation.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2007; 14: 9-22
- The psychosocial effects of exercise and relaxation classes for persons surviving a stroke.Can J Occup Ther. 2009; 76: 73-80
- A randomized efficacy and feasibility study of imagery in acute stroke.Clin Rehabil. 2001; 15: 233-240
Published online: April 28, 2017
© 2017 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine