- •Persons with physical disability frequently develop new carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).
- •Leg lean tissue percentage is negatively related to the risk of developing new CTS.
- •Subjects with a leg lean tissue percentage <12% are at risk of developing CTS.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome), DXA (dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry), LTM (lean tissue mass), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), SNCV (sensory nerve conduction velocity)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Pushrim forces and joint kinetics during wheelchair propulsion.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 856-864
- Carpal tunnel syndrome in paraplegic patients.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1988; 70: 517-519
- Prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome and wrist osteoarthritis in long-term paraplegic patients compared with controls.J Hand Surg (Eur Vol). 2014; 39: 132-138
- Symptoms, disability, and quality of life in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999; 24: 398-404
- Risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome.Am J Epidemiol. 1990; 132: 1102-1110
- Occupational factors and carpal tunnel syndrome.Am J Ind Med. 1987; 11: 343-358
- An evaluation of gender, obesity, age and diabetes mellitus as risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome.Clin Neurophysiol. 2002; 113: 1429-1434
- Comparison of carpal canal pressure in paraplegic and nonparaplegic subjects: clinical implications.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 107: 1464-1471
- Associations between body anthropometric measures and severity of carpal tunnel syndrome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1456-1464
- The relationship between body mass index and the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 1994; 17: 632-636
- Physical disability and obesity.Nutr Rev. 2005; 63: 321-331
- The relation between lower extremity strength and shoulder overuse symptoms: a model based on polio survivors.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 789-795
- Efficacy of heavy-resistance training for active women over sixty: muscular strength, body composition, and program adherence.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 205-210
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: pathophysiology and clinical neurophysiology.Clin Neurophysiol. 2002; 113: 1373-1381
- Median and ulnar nerve conduction studies among workers: normative values.Muscle Nerve. 1998; 21: 999-1005
- Association between body composition and median neuropathy in patients with physical disabilities.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2015; 51: 5-13
- A useful electrophysiologic parameter for diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 1996; 19: 48-53
- Practice parameter: electrodiagnostic studies in carpal tunnel syndrome. Report of the American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine, American Academy of Neurology, and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.Neurology. 2002; 58: 1589-1592
- Cross-calibration of GE/Lunar pencil and fan-beam dual energy densitometers–bone mineral density and body composition studies.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003; 57: 977-987
- Applied logistic regression.2nd ed. Wiley, New York2000
- Carpal tunnel syndrome incidence in a general population.Neurology. 2002; 58: 289-294
- Individual risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome: an evaluation of body mass index, wrist index and hand anthropometric measurements.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2004; 106: 294-299
- Healthy body mass index values often underestimate body fat in men with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 1068-1071
- Body composition assessment in Taiwanese individuals with poliomyelitis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 1092-1097
- A review of body mass index and waist circumference as markers of obesity and coronary heart disease risk in persons with chronic spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2005; 43: 513-518
- Evaluation of age, body mass index, and wrist index as risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome severity.Muscle Nerve. 2002; 25: 93-97
- Measurement of soft tissue composition by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry.Br J Nutr. 1997; 77: 151-163
- Baseline patterns of bone scintigraphy in patients with established post-poliomyelitis paralysis.Skeletal Radiol. 2010; 39: 891-895
- Influence of age and height on nerve conduction.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 1134-1141
- A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis.J Clin Epidemiol. 1996; 49: 1373-1379
Supported by Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan (grant no. TMU102-AE1-B18).