Apex interpersonal touch (IPT) alters locomotor control of head sway in cerebral palsy (CP).
Trunk IPT acts in opposition to head IPT in CP.
IPT affects typically developed individuals differently than individuals with CP.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CP ( cerebral palsy), GMFCS ( Gross Motor Function Classification System), HVS ( head velocity sway), IPT ( interpersonal touch), TD ( typically developed), TVS ( trunk velocity sway)
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health in children with cerebral palsy.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 1053-1058
- Upper body accelerations during walking in healthy young and elderly men.Gait Posture. 2004; 20: 291-298
- Upper body movements in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy walking with and without an ankle-foot orthosis.Clinical Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2014; 29: 387-394
- Altered trunk movements during gait in children with spastic diplegia: compensatory or underlying trunk control deficit?.Res Dev Disabil. 2014; 35: 2044-2052
- Trunk movements during gait in cerebral palsy.Clinical Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2015; 30: 28-32
- Clinical characteristics of impaired trunk control in children with spastic cerebral palsy.Res Dev Disabil. 2013; 34: 327-334
- Head stabilization strategies in the sagittal plane during locomotor tasks.Physiother Res Int. 2004; 9: 33-42
- Head stabilization during various locomotor tasks in humans. II. Patients with bilateral peripheral vestibular deficits.Exp Brain Res. 1991; 85: 208-217
- Postural orientation and equilibrium.in: Rowell L.B. Shepherd J.T. Handbook of physiology. Section 12. Exercise: regulation and integration of multiple systems. Oxford University Pr, New York1996: 255-292
- Use of sensory information during postural control in children with cerebral palsy: systematic review.J Mot Behav. 2015; 47: 291-301
- Effect of light touch on postural sway in individuals with balance problems: a systematic review.Gait Posture. 2014; 40: 1-10
- Contrasting effects of finger and shoulder interpersonal light touch on standing balance.J Neurophysiol. 2012; 107: 216-225
- Somatosensory driven interpersonal synchrony during rhythmic sway.Hum Mov Sci. 2012; 31: 553-566
Johannsen L, McKenzie E, Brown M, Redfern MS, Wing AM. Deliberately light interpersonal touch as an aid to balance control in neurologic conditions. Rehabil Nurs. 2014 Dec 7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Effects of different types of light touch on postural sway.Exp Brain Res. 2002; 147: 71-79
- Passive tactile sensory input improves stability during standing.Exp Brain Res. 2001; 136: 514-522
- A multisensory posture control model of human upright stance.Prog Brain Res. 2003; 142: 189-201
- Validation of a model of gross motor function for children with cerebral palsy.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 974-985
- Trunk and head stabilization during the first months of independent walking.Neuroreport. 1995; 6: 1737-1740
- The role of head stabilization in locomotion in children with cerebral palsy.Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2012; 55: 590-600
- Differences between the family-centered “COPCA” program and traditional infant physical therapy based on neurodevelopmental treatment principles.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 1303-1322
- A speedy solution for balance and gait analysis: angular velocity measured at the centre of body mass.Curr Opin Neurol. 2005; 18: 15-21
Supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany (BMBF; grant no. 01EO1401) and by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft through the TUM International Graduate School of Science and Engineering.