- •Apex interpersonal touch (IPT) alters locomotor control of head sway in cerebral palsy (CP).
- •Trunk IPT acts in opposition to head IPT in CP.
- •IPT affects typically developed individuals differently than individuals with CP.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CP (cerebral palsy), GMFCS (Gross Motor Function Classification System), HVS (head velocity sway), IPT (interpersonal touch), TD (typically developed), TVS (trunk velocity sway)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health in children with cerebral palsy.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 1053-1058
- Upper body accelerations during walking in healthy young and elderly men.Gait Posture. 2004; 20: 291-298
- Upper body movements in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy walking with and without an ankle-foot orthosis.Clinical Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2014; 29: 387-394
- Altered trunk movements during gait in children with spastic diplegia: compensatory or underlying trunk control deficit?.Res Dev Disabil. 2014; 35: 2044-2052
- Trunk movements during gait in cerebral palsy.Clinical Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2015; 30: 28-32
- Clinical characteristics of impaired trunk control in children with spastic cerebral palsy.Res Dev Disabil. 2013; 34: 327-334
- Head stabilization strategies in the sagittal plane during locomotor tasks.Physiother Res Int. 2004; 9: 33-42
- Head stabilization during various locomotor tasks in humans. II. Patients with bilateral peripheral vestibular deficits.Exp Brain Res. 1991; 85: 208-217
- Postural orientation and equilibrium.in: Rowell L.B. Shepherd J.T. Handbook of physiology. Section 12. Exercise: regulation and integration of multiple systems. Oxford University Pr, New York1996: 255-292
- Use of sensory information during postural control in children with cerebral palsy: systematic review.J Mot Behav. 2015; 47: 291-301
- Effect of light touch on postural sway in individuals with balance problems: a systematic review.Gait Posture. 2014; 40: 1-10
- Contrasting effects of finger and shoulder interpersonal light touch on standing balance.J Neurophysiol. 2012; 107: 216-225
- Somatosensory driven interpersonal synchrony during rhythmic sway.Hum Mov Sci. 2012; 31: 553-566
Johannsen L, McKenzie E, Brown M, Redfern MS, Wing AM. Deliberately light interpersonal touch as an aid to balance control in neurologic conditions. Rehabil Nurs. 2014 Dec 7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Effects of different types of light touch on postural sway.Exp Brain Res. 2002; 147: 71-79
- Passive tactile sensory input improves stability during standing.Exp Brain Res. 2001; 136: 514-522
- A multisensory posture control model of human upright stance.Prog Brain Res. 2003; 142: 189-201
- Validation of a model of gross motor function for children with cerebral palsy.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 974-985
- Trunk and head stabilization during the first months of independent walking.Neuroreport. 1995; 6: 1737-1740
- The role of head stabilization in locomotion in children with cerebral palsy.Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2012; 55: 590-600
- Differences between the family-centered “COPCA” program and traditional infant physical therapy based on neurodevelopmental treatment principles.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 1303-1322
- A speedy solution for balance and gait analysis: angular velocity measured at the centre of body mass.Curr Opin Neurol. 2005; 18: 15-21
Supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany (BMBF; grant no. 01EO1401) and by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft through the TUM International Graduate School of Science and Engineering.