- •The diagnostic value of diagnostic tests for detecting meniscal tears is debated.
- •The McMurray test is more accurate than the joint line tenderness test.
- •The accuracy of the McMurray test is low to moderate.
- •The McMurray is useful in patients with highly suspected meniscal tears.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AUC (area under the curve), JLT (joint line tenderness), ROC (receiver operating characteristic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Physical examination of the knee: a review of the original test description and scientific validity of common orthopedic tests.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 592-603
- Special tests for assessing meniscal tears within the knee: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Evid Based Med. 2015; 20: 88-97
- Joint line tenderness and McMurray tests for the detection of meniscal lesions: what is their real diagnostic value?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1126-1131
Fauci F, Raso G. Uso della curva ROC in test dicotomici. Atti del Congresso nazionale dell'Associazione italiana di fisica in medicina (AIFM). Available at: www.lns.infn.it/info/events/AIFM2003_CD/Orale/Fauci_lavoro.pdf. Accessed August 22, 2016.
- Receiver-operating characteristic analysis for evaluating diagnostic tests and predictive models.Circulation. 2007; 115: 654-657
- Receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve: practical review for radiologists.Korean J Radiol. 2004; 5: 11-18
- The accuracy of joint line tenderness by physical examination in the diagnosis of meniscal tears.Arthroscopy. 2003; 19: 850-854
- Statistical evaluation of McMurray's test in the clinical diagnosis of meniscus injuries.J Sport Traumatol Relat Res. 1997; 19: 83-89
- A new weight-bearing meniscal test and a comparison with McMurray's test and joint line tenderness.Arthroscopy. 2004; 20: 951-958
- Measuring the accuracy of diagnostic systems.Science. 1988; 240: 1285-1293