Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:AL (amputated limb), CI (confidence interval), OR (odds ratio), SCI (spinal cord injury), VA (Veterans Affairs)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- United States military casualty statistics: Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.Congressional Research Service, The Library of Congress, Washington (DC)2008
- Estimating the prevalence of limb loss in the United States: 2005 to 2050.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 422-429
- Sustainment and advancement of amputee care.Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense Health Affairs, Falls Church2015
- Ten years at war: comprehensive analysis of amputation trends.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: S438-S444
- Statistical abstract of the United States.2012 (Available at:)Accessed February 24, 2015)
- Manual wheelchair use by community dwelling and institutionalized Veterans.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: S64-S65
- Demographic characteristics of Veterans who received wheelchairs and scooters from Veterans Health Administration.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2006; 43: 831-844
- Life-cycle analysis of depot versus rehabilitation manual wheelchairs.J Rehabil Res Dev. 1996; 33: 45-55
- Comparison of fatigue life for 3 types of manual wheelchairs.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 1484-1488
- User assessment of manual wheelchair ride comfort and ergonomics.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 490-494
- Wheelchair pushrim kinetics: body weight and median nerve function.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 910-915
- Manual wheelchair pushrim biomechanics and axle position.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 608-613
- Fatal wheelchair-related accidents in the United States.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1990; 69: 184-190
- Wheelchair standards: it's all about quality assurance and evidence-based practice.J Spinal Cord Med. 2006; 29: 93-94
- Engineering better wheelchairs to enhance community participation.IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2006; 14: 438-455
- Advances in wheelchair and related technologies.Med Eng Phys. 2001; 23: iii-iv
Arva J, Schmeler M, Lange M, et al. RESNA position on the application of seat-elevating devices for wheelchair users 2005. Available at: http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Resources/Resna_position_on_seat%20elevation.pdf. Accessed August 24, 2016.
Dicianno BE, Margaria E, Arva J, et al. RESNA position on the application of tilt, recline, and elevating legrests for wheelchairs. 2008. Available at: http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/rstce_resources/Resna_Position_on_Tilt_Recline_Elevat_Legrest.pdf. Accessed August 24, 2016.
- Wheelchair rider injuries: causes and consequences for wheelchair design and selection.J Rehabil Res Dev. 1997; 34: 58-71
- Investigating neck pain in wheelchair users.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 82: 197-202
Veterans Health Administration. VHA Directive 1173: prosthetic and sensory aid service strategic healthcare group. Washington (DC): Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs; 2008.
- Demographic and socioeconomic factors associated with disparity in wheelchair customizability among people with traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1859-1864
National Council on Disability. Study on the financing of assistive technology devices and services for individuals with disabilities: a report to the President and the Congress of the United States of America. Available at: http://www.ncd.gov/publications/1993/Mar41993. Accessed March 27, 2015.
- Health-related correlates of perceived discrimination in HIV care.AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2004; 18: 19-26
- Exploring the relationship of conspiracy beliefs about HIV/AIDS to sexual behaviors and attitudes among African-American adults.J Natl Med Assoc. 2003; 95: 1057-1065
- The contribution of sociodemographic, medical, and attitudinal factors to blood donation among the general public.Transfusion. 2002; 42: 669-678
- Relationship between perceived discrimination and unmet physical and mental healthcare needs in a multi-ethnic community sample.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2008; 19: 894-911
- Perceived discrimination and adherence to medical care in a racially integrated community.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 233: 389-395
- A systematic review of empirical research on self-reported racism and health.Int J Epidemiol. 2006; 35: 888-901
- Perceived discrimination and use of preventive health services.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 553
- Patient delay in seeking care for heart attack symptoms: findings from focus groups conducted in five US regions.Prev Med. 2000; 31: 205-213
- Attitudes about racism, medical mistrust, and satisfaction with care among African-American and white cardiac patients.Med Care Res Rev. 2000; 57: 146-161
- Perceived race-based and socioeconomic status (SES)-based discrimination in interactions with health care providers.Ethn Dis. 2001; 11: 554-563
- Discrimination and health.in: Berkman L. Kawachi I. Social epidemiology. Oxford Univ Pr, Oxford2000: 36-75
- Perceived discrimination predicts longer time to be accepted for kidney transplant.Transplantation. 2012; 93: 423-429
- Racial differences in physical and mental health: socio-economic status, stress, and discrimination.J Health Psychol. 1997; 2: 335-351
- Rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicine: a shortened screening instrument.Fam Med. 1993; 25: 391-395
- Profiles and predictors of the course of psychological distress across four years after heart transplantation.Psychol Med. 2005; 35: 1215-1227
- Ethnic differences in donation-related characteristics among potential hematopoietic stem cell donors.Transplantation. 2005; 80: 890-896
- Overview of the special issue on research with the Multidimensional Health Locus of Control (MHLC) Scales.J Health Psychol. 2005; 10: 619-621
- Lack of a race effect in primary care ratings among women Veterans.J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 21: 1105-1108
- Primary care attributes, health care system hassles, and chronic illness.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1123-1129
- The association of race, cultural factors, and health-related quality of life in persons with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 441-448
- Development of a revised Healthcare System Distrust Scale.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 727-732
- Measuring attributes of primary care: development of a new instrument.J Fam Pract. 1997; 45: 64-74
- A shortened instrument for literacy screening.J Gen Intern Med. 2003; 18: 1036-1038
- The Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI): administration, scoring, and procedures manual.Clinical Psychometric Research, Baltimore1975
- Society and the adolescent self image.Princeton Univ Pr, Princeton1965
- The structure of coping.J Health Soc Behav. 1978; 19: 2-21
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. HCPCS—general information. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/MedHCPCSGenInfo. Accessed March 4, 2015.
- Tabachnick B.G. Fidell L.S. Using multivariate statistics. Allyn and Bacon, Boston2007
- Health related quality of life after spinal cord injury.Disabil Rehabil. 2002; 24: 196-202
- Outcomes of assistive technology use on quality of life.Disabil Rehabil. 1996; 18: 439-448
- Assessing the benefits of assistive technologies for activities and participation.Rehabil Psychol. 2005; 50: 132-141
- Opportunity is possibility; performance is action: measuring participation.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 1467-1471
- Influence of race/ethnicity on divorce/separation 1, 2, and 5 years post spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1371-1378
- Ethnicity/racial differences in employment outcomes following spinal cord injury.NeuroRehabilitation. 2009; 24: 37-46
- Source of payment for assistive technology: findings from a national survey of persons with disabilities.Assist Technol. 2006; 18: 77-86
- Addressing population health and health inequalities: the role of fundamental causes.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S609-S619
- Inequality in quality: addressing socioeconomic, racial, and ethnic disparities in health care.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2579-2584
Department of Veterans Affairs. VA and spinal cord injury fact sheet. Available at: http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets.asp. Accessed August 11, 2016.
- Cultural diversity and health psychology.in: Baum A. Revenson T. Singer J. Handbook of health psychology. Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah2001: 851-891
- Classification of race and ethnicity: implications for public health.Annu Rev Public Health. 2003; 24: 83-110
- Discrimination and racial disparities in health: evidence and needed research.J Behav Med. 2009; 32: 20-47
- Population pressures, system-level inertia and healthy aging policy revisited.Healthc Pap. 2011; 11: 41-45
- Efficiency and hospital effectiveness in improving Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems ratings.Health Care Manage Rev. 2016; 41: 296-305
- An evidence-based policy prescription for an aging population.Healthc Pap. 2011; 11: 8-18
- A preliminary model of wheelchair service delivery.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1030-1038
- Interim report of the Committee on Geographic Variation in Health Care Spending and Promotion of High-Value Care.The National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2013
Gawande A. The cost conundrum: what a Texas town can teach us about health care. The New Yorker. June 1, 2009. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/06/01/the-cost-conundrum. Accessed August 24, 2016.
Supported by the Rehabilitation Research and Development Department of the Veterans Affairs (grant no. B7148I). The contents do not represent the views of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States Government.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT01236170.