- •Two peritendinous hyaluronan (HA) injections are safe and effective in treating symptomatic Achilles' midportion tendinopathy.
- •HA injections are superior to standard extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) application and result in clinically relevant findings.
- •Administration of HA was less painful to the patients compared with ESWT.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CGI (Clinical Global Impression), CI (confidence interval), ESWT (extracorporeal shock wave therapy), HA (hyaluronan), ITT (intention to treat), min-max (minimum-maximum), MW (Mann-Whitney), MW-U (Mann-Whitney U), VAS (visual analog scale), VISA-A (Victorian Institute of Sports Assessment–Achilles' questionnaire)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Correlation between power Doppler ultrasonography and clinical severity in Achilles tendinopathy.Int Orthop. 2003; 27: 180-183
- Chronic Achilles tendinosis: recommendations for treatment and prevention.Sports Med. 2000; 29: 135-146
- Achilles tendon injuries in athletes.Sports Med. 1994; 18: 173-201
- Long-term prognosis of patients with Achilles tendinopathy. An observational 8-year follow-up study.Am J Sports Med. 2000; 28: 634-642
- Management of insertional Achilles tendinopathy through a Cincinnati incision.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007; 8: 82
- Histopathological findings in chronic tendon disorders.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 1997; 7: 86-95
- Achilles tendon disorders: etiology and epidemiology.Foot Ankle Clin. 2005; 10: 255-266
- Achilles tendinopathy: a review of the current concepts of treatment.Bone Joint J. 2013; 95-B: 1299-1307
- Management of chronic tendon injuries.Am Fam Physician. 2013; 87: 486-490
- Efficacy and safety of corticosteroid injections and other injections for management of tendinopathy: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1751-1767
- Fortnightly review: corticosteroid injections in tendon lesions.BMJ. 2001; 323: 382-386
- No effect of piroxicam on Achilles tendinopathy. A randomized study of 70 patients.Acta Orthop Scand. 1992; 63: 631-634
- Practical management: nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) use in athletic injuries.Clin J Sport Med. 2006; 16: 170-174
- The CADEUS study: burden of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) utilization for musculoskeletal disorders in blue collar workers.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2009; 67: 118-124
- Hyaluronan: its nature, distribution, functions and turnover.J Intern Med. 1997; 242: 27-33
- Hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan): a review.Vet Med (Praha). 2008; 53: 397-411
- Treatment of chronic tendinosis with peritendinous hyaluronan injections under sonographic guide—an interventional, prospective, single-arm multicenter study [German].Orthopädische und Unfallchirurgische Praxis. 2012; 10: 400-404
- Hyaluronic acid derivatives and their healing effect on burns, epithelial surgical wounds, and chronic wounds: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Wound Repair Regen. 2012; 20: 317-331
- Effectiveness of subacromial anti-adhesive agent injection after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: prospective randomized comparison study.Clin Orthop Surg. 2011; 3: 55-61
- High-energy extracorporeal shock wave therapy as a treatment for chronic noninsertional Achilles tendinopathy.Am J Sports Med. 2008; 36: 502-508
- Shockwave therapy for chronic Achilles tendinopathy: a double-blind, randomized clinical trial of efficacy.Acta Orthop. 2008; 79: 249-256
- Principles of shock wave therapy.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001; : 8-17
- Eccentric loading versus eccentric loading plus shockwave treatment for midportion Achilles tendinopathy: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Sports Med. 2009; 37: 463-470
- Second application of low-energy shock waves has a cumulative effect on free nerve endings.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 443: 315-319
- Extracorporeal shockwave therapy in musculoskeletal disorders.J Orthop Surg Res. 2012; 7: 11
- Extracorporeal shockwave-induced expression of lubricin in tendons and septa.Cell Tissue Res. 2011; 346: 255-262
- Measurement of pain.Lancet. 1974; 2: 1127-1131
- Victorian Institute of Sport Tendon Study Group. The VISA-A questionnaire: a valid and reliable index of the clinical severity of Achilles tendinopathy.Br J Sports Med. 2001; 35: 335-341
- Achilles tendon: functional anatomy and novel emerging models of imaging classification.Int Orthop. 2013; 37: 715-721
- Clinical evaluation of sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of patients with supraspinatus tendinosis under echographic guide: experimental study of periarticular injections.Eur J Radiol. 2008; 68: 170-173
- Ultrasound-guided subacromial injections of sodium hyaluronate for the management of rotator cuff tendinopathy: a prospective comparative study with rehabilitation therapy.Musculoskelet Surg. 2013; 97: S49-S56
- Measuring gain in the evaluation of medical technology. The probability of a better outcome.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1988; 4: 637-642
- Some large-sample distribution-free estimators and tests for multivariate partially incomplete data from two populations.Stat Med. 1992; 11: 1151-1170
- Analysis of recurrent events: nonparametric methods for random-interval count data.J Am Stat Assoc. 1988; 83: 339-347
- Two-sample asymptotically distribution-free test for incomplete multivariate observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1984; 387: 653-661
- Extracorporeal shockwaves therapy versus hyaluronic acid injection for the treatment of painful noncalcific rotator cuff tendinopathies: preliminary results.J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2016 Apr 12; ([Epub ahead of print])
Supported by TRB Chemedica AG.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT01954108.