- •Greater intramuscular fat is found among older adults with chronic low back pain.
- •Multifidi quality is associated with physical function in adults with back pain.
- •Multifidi muscle size is not associated with physical function in older adults.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CSA (cross-sectional area), LBP (low back pain), MFI (muscle-fat infiltration index), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), rCSA (relative cross-sectional area), rmCSA (relative muscle cross-sectional area), SF-36 PFS (Medical Outcomes Study 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey physical functioning subscale), TUG (timed Up and Go)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The clinical course of pain and function in older adults with a new primary care visit for back pain.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 524-530
- The rising prevalence of chronic low back pain.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 251-258
- The burden of chronic low back pain with and without a neuropathic component: a healthcare resource use and cost analysis.J Med Econ. 2012; 15: 245-252
- Patterns of health care utilization for low back pain.J Pain Res. 2015; 8: 523-535
- The role of the lumbar multifidus in chronic low back pain: a review.PMR. 2010; 2: 142-146
- Multifidus and paraspinal muscle group cross-sectional areas of patients with low back pain and control patients: a systematic review with a focus on blinding.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 873-888
- MRI assessment of paraspinal muscles in patients with acute and chronic unilateral low back pain.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88: 20140546
- Effects of core stability exercises on multifidus muscles in healthy women and women with chronic low-back pain.J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2015; 28: 841-847
- Do muscle characteristics on lumbar spine magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography predict future low back pain, physical function, or performance? A systematic review.PMR. 2015; 7: 1269-1281
- Measurement of gait speed in older adults to identify complications associated with frailty: a systematic review.J Geriatr Oncol. 2015; 6: 484-496
- Functional predictors of stair-climbing speed in older adults.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2014; 37: 1-6
- Strength and functional deficits in individuals with hip osteoarthritis compared to healthy, older adults.Disabil Rehabil. 2014; 36: 307-312
- Gait speed as a measure in geriatric assessment in clinical settings: a systematic review.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68: 39-46
- Self-reported difficulty in climbing up or down stairs in nondisabled elderly.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 100-104
- Characterization of older adults who attribute functional decrements to “old age”.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996; 44: 1429-1434
- Age- and stroke-related skeletal muscle changes: a review for the geriatric clinician.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2012; 35: 155-161
- Age- and level-dependence of fatty infiltration in lumbar paravertebral muscles of healthy volunteers.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016; 37: 742-748
- Cross-sectional associations between trunk muscle composition, back pain, and physical function in the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 882-887
- Trunk muscle composition as a predictor of reduced functional capacity in the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study: the moderating role of back pain.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 1420-1424
- Associations of computed tomography-based trunk muscle size and density with balance and falls in older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 71: 811-816
- Differential changes in muscle composition exist in traumatic and nontraumatic neck pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014; 39: 39-47
- Trunk muscle training augmented with neuromuscular electrical stimulation appears to improve function in older adults with chronic low back pain: a randomized preliminary trial.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 898-906
- The SF36 health survey questionnaire: an outcome measure suitable for routine use within the NHS?.BMJ. 1993; 306: 1440-1444
- The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical tests of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs.Med Care. 1993; 31: 247-263
- Health-related quality-of-life assessment in patients with low back pain using SF-36 questionnaire.Medicina. 2007; 43: 607-613
- The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Measurement error and minimum detectable change in 4-meter gait speed in older adults.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2011; 23: 406-412
- A biomechanical study of L5-S1 low-grade isthmic spondylolisthesis using a personalized finite element model.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006; 123: 431-434
- Trunk muscle size and composition assessment in older adults with chronic low back pain: an intra-examiner and inter-examiner reliability study.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 1436-1446
- Fat infiltration of paraspinal muscles is associated with low back pain, disability, and structural abnormalities in community-based adults.Spine J. 2015; 15: 1593-1601
- Obesity and mobility disability in the older adult.Obes Rev. 2010; 11: 568-579
- Effect of general health status on chronicity of low back pain in industrial workers.Acta Med Iran. 2016; 54: 211-217
- 341 Diabetes mellitus and back pain: markers of diabetes disease progression are associated with chronic back pain.Neurosurgery. 2016; 63: 200
- Physical and psychosocial predictors of functional trunk capacity in older adults with and without low back pain.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012; 35: 338-345
- Associations Of Back And Leg Pain With Health Status And Functional Capacity Of Older Adults: Findings from the Retirement Community Back Pain Study.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 1306-1313
- The impact of chronic low back pain on older adults: a comparative study of patients and controls.Pain. 2007; 131: 293-301
- Improving outcomes for chronic pain in primary care.Practitioner. 2014; 258 (2): 13-17
- Activating therapy modalities in older individuals with chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review.Physiotherapy. 2015; 101: 310-318
- Effects of three different training modalities on the cross sectional area of the lumbar multifidus muscle in patients with chronic low back pain.Br J Sports Med. 2001; 35: 186-191
- Long-term lumbar multifidus muscle atrophy changes documented with magnetic resonance imaging: a case series.J Radiol Case Rep. 2014; 8: 27-34
- Motor control exercise for chronic non-specific low-back pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; : CD012004
- Muscle-fat MRI: 1.5 Tesla and 3.0 Tesla versus histology.Muscle Nerve. 2014; 50: 170-176
- Proton density fat-fraction: a standardized MR-based biomarker of tissue fat concentration.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2012; 36: 1011-1014
- Multifidus atrophy is localized and bilateral in active persons with chronic unilateral low back pain.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 300-306
- Assessing the reliability and validity of a shorter walk test compared with the 10-meter walk test for measurements of gait speed in healthy, older adults.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2013; 36: 24-30
Supported in part by the National Institutes of Health (grant no. 1K12HD055931-01); the Foundation for Physical Therapy PODS I/II; the Fellowship for Geriatric Research Award from the Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy; the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grant no. R21 HD057274); the National Institute on Aging (grant no. 1R01AG041202-01); and National Institutes of Health (grant no. T32HD007490-15).
Disclosures: J.M.E. has a 35% ownership/investment interest in a medical consulting start up, Pain ID, LLC. The other authors have nothing to disclose.