- •Perspectives on postural control in cerebral palsy (CP) were identified from clinicians and researchers.
- •Consensus was achieved on definitions for postural control in the context of CP.
- •Gaps in knowledge and practice were identified for frameworks, assessments, and interventions.
- •Future research priorities in postural control were identified for children with CP.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AusACPDM (Australasian Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine), CP (cerebral palsy), CPL (Cerebral Palsy League), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), NHMRC (National Health and Medical Research Council)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- A report: the definition and classification of cerebral palsy April 2006.Dev Med Child Neurol Suppl. 2007; 109: 8-14
- Content validity of the expanded and revised Gross Motor Function Classification System.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2008; 50: 744-750
- The Manual Ability Classification System (MACS) for children with cerebral palsy: scale development and evidence of validity and reliability.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2006; 48: 549-554
- Developing and validating the Communication Function Classification System for individuals with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2011; 53: 704-710
- Functional motor abilities of children with cerebral palsy: a systematic literature review of assessment measures.Clin Rehabil. 1998; 12: 369-380
- Responsiveness of evaluative measures for children with cerebral palsy: the Gross Motor Function Measure and the Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory.Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 1245-1252
- A systematic review of interventions for children with cerebral palsy: state of the evidence.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2013; 55: 885-910
- Clinical tools to assess balance in children and adults with cerebral palsy: a systematic review.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2013; 55: 988-999
- Assessment of postural control in children with cerebral palsy: A review.Res Dev Disabil. 2013; 34: 1367-1375
- Exercise interventions improve postural control in children with cerebral palsy: a systematic review.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015; 57: 504-520
- Association between gross motor function and postural control in sitting in children with cerebral palsy: a correlational study in Spain.BMC Pediatr. 2015; 15: 124
- Relations of balance function and gross motor ability for children with cerebral palsy.Percept Mot Skills. 2003; 96: 1173-1184
- Psychometric properties of functional balance assessment in children with cerebral palsy.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2008; 22: 745-753
- Standing postural stability assessment and signal stationarity in children with cerebral palsy.IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng. 1993; 1: 35-42
- Evaluation of postural stability in children: current theories and assessment tools.Phys Ther. 1997; 77: 629-645
- Static balance and function in children with cerebral palsy submitted to neuromuscular block and neuromuscular electrical stimulation: study protocol for prospective, randomized, controlled trial.BMC Pediatr. 2012; 12: 53
- Differences in the dynamic gait stability of children with cerebral palsy and typically developing children.Gait Posture. 2012; 36: 600-604
- Normal postural control. Motor control: translating research into clinical practice.4th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore2012
- Clinical measurement of postural control in adults.Phys Ther. 1987; 67: 1881-1885
- The Balance Evaluation Systems Test (BESTest) to differentiate balance deficits.Phys Ther. 2009; 89: 484-498
- Enhancing rigour in the Delphi technique research.Technol Forecast Soc Change. 2011; 78: 1695-1704
- Consensus research priorities for cerebral palsy: a Delphi survey of consumers, researchers, and clinicians.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010; 52: 270-275
- What constitutes self-concept for children with CP? A Delphi consensus survey.J Dev Phys Disabil. 2016; 28: 333-346
- Research guidelines for the Delphi survey technique.J Adv Nurs. 2000; 32: 1008-1015
- The Delphi technique in health sciences education research.Med Teach. 2005; 27: 639-643
- Postural control system.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1994; 4: 877-887
- Development and validation of item sets to improve efficiency of administration of the 66 item Gross Motor Function Measure in children with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010; 52: e48-e54
Supported by a Career Development Grant awarded by the Research Foundation, Cerebral Palsy Alliance (grant no. PG4114) that allowed PhD funding support through the Children's Motor Control Research Collaboration.