To examine the intertester reliability and validity of 5 nonradiologic measures of forward flexed posture in individuals with Parkinson disease (PD).
Cross-sectional observational study.
University outpatient facility and community centers.
Individuals (N=28) with PD with Hoehn and Yahr scores of 1 through 4.
Main Outcome Measures
Occiput to wall status, tragus to wall distance, C7 to wall distance, photographically derived trunk flexion angle, and inclinometric kyphosis measure.
Participants were older adults (mean, 69.7±10.6y) with a 14-month to 15-year (mean, 5.9±3.5y) history of PD. Intertester reliability was excellent for all measures (κ=.89 [cued condition] and 1.0 [relaxed condition] for occiput to wall status; intraclass correlation coefficients, .779–.897 for tragus to wall distance, C7 to wall distance, flexion angle, and inclinometric kyphosis measure). Convergent validity was supported for all measures by significant correlations between the same measures obtained during relaxed and cued conditions (eg, occiput to wall relaxed and cued) and for most measures by significant correlations between measures obtained under the same condition (eg, occiput to wall cued and tragus to wall cued). Significant correlations between tragus to wall distance, C7 to wall distance, flexion angle, and inclinometric kyphosis measure and the Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale item 28 (posture) also supported convergent validity. Significant differences between tragus to wall distance, C7 to wall distance, and inclinometric kyphosis measure values under relaxed and cued conditions supported known condition validity. Known group validity was demonstrated by significant differences in tragus to wall distance, C7 to wall distance, and inclinometric kyphosis measure obtained from individuals able and individuals unable to touch their occiput to wall when cued to stand tall.
Tragus to wall distance, C7 to wall distance, and inclinometric kyphosis measure are reliable and valid nonradiologic measures of forward flexed posture in PD.
List of abbreviations:HY (Hoehn and Yahr), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), MDC95 (minimal detectable change based on 95% confidence interval), PD (Parkinson disease), PDQ-39 (Parkinson's Disease Questionnaire), UPDRS (Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 525-535
- Non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease: dopaminergic pathophysiology and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 464-474
- Joint and skeletal deformities in Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy, and progressive supranuclear palsy.Mov Disord. 2006; 21: 1856-1863
- Camptocormia (bent spine) in patients with Parkinson's disease—characterization and possible pathogenesis of an unusual phenomenon.Mov Disord. 1999; 14: 443-447
- Immediate effect of spinal magnetic stimulation on camptocormia in Parkinson's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014; 85: 1221-1226
- The factor structure of the UPDRS motor scores changes during early Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2014; 20: 617-621
- Can stooped posture explain multidirectional postural instability in patients with Parkinson's disease.Exp Brain Res. 2005; 166: 78-88
- A specific clinical pattern of camptocormia in Parkinson's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 1229-1234
- Measurement of anteriorly flexed trunk posture in Parkinson's disease (PD): a systematic review.Phys Ther Rev. 2015; 20: 225-232
- Parkinson's disease with camptocormia.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 1223-1228
- Camptocormia and Parkinson's disease: MR imaging.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 1710-1719
- Postural rehabilitation and kinesio taping for axial postural disorders in Parkinson's disease.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1067-1075
- Long-term effect of repeated lidocaine injections into the external oblique for upper camptocormia in Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2013; 19: 350-354
- Role of the external oblique muscle in upper camptocormia for patients with Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2012; 27: 802-803
- Clinical factors associated with abnormal postures in Parkinson's disease.PLoS One. 2013; 8: 1-7
- High-frequency pallidal stimulation for camptocormia in Parkinson disease: case report.Neurosurgery. 2011; 68: E1501-E1505
- Camptocormia in Japanese patients with Parkinson's disease: a multicenter study.Mov Disord. 2011; 26: 2567-2571
- Camptocormia in Parkinson disease: an epidemiological and clinical study.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009; 80: 145-148
- Reliability of physical performance tests in four different randomized clinical trials.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 557-561
- Reliability of impairment and physical performance measures for persons with Parkinson's disease.Phys Ther. 1997; 77: 19-27
- Exercise to improve spinal flexibility and function for people with Parkinson's disease: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: 1207-1216
- Spinal flexibility and balance control among community-dwelling adults with and without Parkinson's disease.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000; 55: M441-M445
- Spinal movement and performance of a standing reach task in participants with and without Parkinson disease.Phys Ther. 2001; 81: 1400-1411
- The intra- and inter-rater reliability of the tragus wall distance (TWD) measurement in non-pathological participants ages 18-34.Physiother Theory Pract. 2013; 29: 328-334
- Hyperkyphosis and back pain are not associated with prevalent vertebral fractures in women with osteoporosis.Physiother Theory Pract. 2015; 31: 182-185
- Effects of an adapted physical activity program in a group of elderly subjects with flexed posture: clinical and instrumental assessment.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2008; 25: 32
- Association between kyphosis and subacromial impingement syndrome: LOHAS study.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23: e300-e307
- Physical function in older men with hyperkyphosis.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 635-640
- Hyperkyphotic posture and poor physical functional ability in older community-dwelling men and women: the Rancho Bernardo study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 633-637
- Intrarater and interrater reliability of the flexicurve index, flexicurve angle, and manual inclinometer for the measurement of thoracic kyphosis.Rehabil Res Pract. 2013; : 475870
- Effect of thoracic stretching, thoracic extension exercise and exercises for cervical and scapular posture on thoracic kyphosis angle and upper thoracic pain.J Phys Ther Sci. 2013; 25: 1509-1510
- The validity and reliability of noninvasive methods for measuring kyphosis.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2014; 27: E212-E218
- Does this woman have osteoporosis?.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2890-2900
- Clinical assessment of ankylosing spondylitis: a study of observer variation in spinal measurements.Br J Rheumatol. 1991; 30: 29-34
- Neck mobility assessment in ankylosing spondylitis: a clinical study of nine measurements including new tape methods for cervical rotation and lateral flexion.Br J Rheumatol. 1998; 37: 377-381
- Spinal mobility measures in spondyloarthritis: application of the OMERACT filter.J Rheumatol. 2007; 34: 666-670
- Defining spinal mobility in ankylosing spondylitis (AS). The Bath AS Metrology Index (BASMI).J Rheumatol. 1994; 21: 1694-1698
- Relationship between the occiput-wall distance and physical performance in the elderly: a cross sectional study.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2007; 19: 207-212
- Movement Disorder Society Task Force report on the Hoehn and Yahr staging scale: status and recommendations.Mov Disord. 2004; 19: 1020-1028
- Systematic evaluation of rating scales for impairment and disability in Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2002; 17: 867-876
- Determinants of hyperkyphosis in patients with ankylosing spondylitis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 770-774
- Assessing reliability and precision of measurement: an introduction to intraclass correlation and standard error measurement.J Sport Rehabil. 1993; 2: 35-42
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Foundations of clinical research applications to practice.3rd ed. F.A. Davis, Philadelphia2015
- Ankylosing spondylitis antirheumatic drug trials. III. Setting the delta for clinical trials of antirheumatic drugs-results of a consensus development (Delphi) exercise.J Rheumatol. 1991; 18: 1716-1722
- Movement disorders in people with Parkinson's disease: a model for physical therapy.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 578-597
Published online: July 01, 2016
© 2016 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine