Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BDI-II (Beck Depression Inventory-II), CHART-SF (Craig Handicap Assessment and Reporting Technique-Short Form), ED (emergency department), PACIC (Patient Assessment of Chronic Illness Care), ROI (return on investment), SB (spina bifida), SCI (spinal cord injury), UTI (urinary tract infection), WHOQOL-BREF (World Health Organization Quality of Life-Brief Form)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Spinal Cord Injury Model System. Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) facts and figures at a glance. Available at: https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/PublicDocuments/fact_figures_docs/Facts%202014.pdf. Accessed September 15, 2015.
Spina Bifida Fact Sheet. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spina_bifida/detail_spina_bifida.htm. Accessed September 15, 2015.
- Emergent care patterns in patients with spina bifida: a case-control study.J Urol. 2014; 193: 268-273
- Rehabilitation and medical management of the adult with spina bifida.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 87: 1027-1050
- Rehospitalization in the first year of traumatic spinal cord injury after discharge from medical rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: S87-S97
- Chronic spinal cord injury.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 550-556
- Hospitalization for urinary tract infections and the quality of preventive health care received by people with spina bifida.Disabil Health J. 2009; 2: 145-152
- Etiology and incidence of rehospitalization after traumatic spinal cord injury: a multicenter analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1757-1763
- The cost of preventable conditions in adults with spina bifida.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 6: 17-20
- Hospitalizations of adults with spina bifida and congenital spinal cord anomalies.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 529-535
- National hospitalization burden associated with spinal cord injuries in the United States.Spinal Cord. 2014; 52: 139-144
- A prospective study of health and risk of mortality after spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1482-1491
- Targeted preventive care may be needed for adults with congenital spine anomalies.PMR. 2011; 3: 730-738
- Outpatient medical conditions among children and adults with spina bifida in the United States: frequency and expenditures.J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2010; 3: 177-185
- Wound care outcomes and associated cost among patients treated in US outpatient wound centers: data from the US Wound Registry.Wounds. 2012; 24: 10-17
- Causes and costs of unplanned hospitalizations among persons with spinal cord injury.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2011; 16: 53-61
- High cost of stage IV pressure ulcers.Am J Surg. 2010; 200: 473-477
- Health care expenditures of children and adults with spina bifida in a privately insured U.S. population.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007; 79: 552-558
- Bladder management for adults with spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care professionals.Paralyzed Veterans of America, Washington (DC)2006
European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. Prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers: quick reference guide. Available at: http://www.npuap.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Updated-10-16-14-Quick-Reference-Guide-DIGITAL-NPUAP-EPUAP-PPPIA-16Oct2014.pdf. Accessed September 18, 2015.
- Pressure ulcers in adults: prediction and prevention. Quick reference guide for clinicians.Decubitus. 1992; 5: 26-30
- Pressure ulcer treatment.Clin Pract Guidel Quick Ref Guide Clin. 1994; : 1-25
- Pressure ulcer prevention and treatment following spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care professionals.J Spinal Cord Med. 2001; 24: S40-S101
- RESNA position on the application of tilt, recline, and elevating legrests for wheelchairs.Assist Technol. 2009; 21 (quiz 24): 13-22
- Pressure ulcer prevention and management.JAMA. 2003; 289: 223-226
- Treatment of pressure ulcers: a systematic review.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2647-2662
- Preventing pressure ulcers: a systematic review.JAMA. 2006; 296: 974-984
- Predicting and preventing pressure ulcers in adults with paralysis.Adv Wound Care. 1998; 11: 237-246
- Guidelines for the prevention of pressure ulcers.Wound Repair Regen. 2008; 16: 151-168
- Perceived barriers to and facilitators of the implementation of priority clinical preventive services guidelines.Am J Manage Care. 2007; 13: 150-155
- The Triple Aim: optimizing health, care and cost.Healthc Exec. 2009; 24: 64-66
- Benefits of wellness interventions for persons with chronic and disabiling conditions: a review of the evidence.Disabil Health J. 2010; 3: 133-145
- Spinal cord patients benefit from massage therapy.Int J Neurosci. 2002; 112: 133-142
- Assessment of a holistic wellness program for persons with spinal cord injury.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 82 (quiz 969-71): 957-968
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center case study: best practices in managing patients with multiple chronic conditions. 2011-2012 Best Practices Medicaid Health Plans of America Compendium.2012: 96-98 (Available at: https://www.amga.org/wcm/PI/Collabs/MPMCC/Compendiums/University%20of%20Pittsburgh.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2016.)
- Association of pioneer accountable care organizations vs traditional Medicare fee for service with spending, utilization, and patient experience.JAMA. 2015; 313: 2152-2161
- A model for a regional system of care to promote the health and well-being of people with rare chronic genetic disorders.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 1910-1916
- Beyond multidisciplinary care: a new conceptual model for spina bifida services.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 10: 35-38
- How to design a successful disease-management program. McKinsey Quarterly.October 2010 (Available at:)http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/healthcare-systems-and-services/our-insights/how-to-design-a-successful-disease-management-program(Accessed June 29, 2016)
- Depression following spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care professionals.Paralyzed Veterans of America, Washington (DC)1998
- Neurogenic bowel management in adults with spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care professionals.Paralyzed Veterans of America, Washington (DC)1998
2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Available at: http://www.health.gov/PAguidelines/pdf/paguide.pdf. Accessed September 15, 2015.
American Spinal Injury Association exam sheet. Available at: http://www.asia-spinalinjury.org/elearning/isncsci_exam_sheet_r4.pdf. Accessed August 26, 2015.
- A new pressure ulcer risk assessment scale for individuals with spinal cord injury.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 75: 96-104
- Introduction to the Craig Handicap Assessment and Reporting Technique - Short Form.The Center for Outcome Measurement in Brain Injury, Denver2000 (Available at:)Accessed September 18, 2015)
- [Reliability and validity of the Revised Beck Depression Inventory (BDI-II): results from German samples].Nervenarzt. 2007; 78 ([German]): 651-656
- A study of the psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory-II, the Montgomery and Asberg Depression Rating Scale, and the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in a sample from a healthy population.Scand J Psychol. 2014; 55: 83-89
- Screening for depression across the lifespan: a review of measures for use in primary care settings.Am Fam Physician. Sep 15 2002; 66: 1001-1008
- Depressive symptoms in adults with spina bifida.Rehabil Psychol. 2015; 60: 246-253
- Validation of the United States' version of the World Health Organization Quality of Life (WHOQOL) instrument.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 1-12
- The World Health Organization's WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment: psychometric properties and results of the international field trial. A report from the WHOQOL group.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 299-310
- Development and validation of the Patient Assessment of Chronic Illness Care (PACIC).Med Care. 2005; 43: 436-444
- Appraisals, coping and adjustment pre and post SCI rehabilitation: a 2-year follow-up study.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 112-118
- Differential impact and use of a telehealth intervention by persons with MS or SCI.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 94: 987-999
- Health care costs for patients with chronic spinal cord injury in the Veterans Health Administration.J Spinal Cord Med. 2007; 30: 477-481
Milliman Medical index. Available at: http://www.milliman.com/uploadedFiles/insight/Periodicals/mmi/2015-MMI.pdf. Accessed March 10, 2016.
Supported by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Health Plan and the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute Pilot Grant.