Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), AUC (area under the curve), CI (confidence interval), EHR (electronic health record), OR (odds ratio), ROC (receiver operating characteristic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 2006 National Hospital Discharge Survey.Natl Health Stat Report. 2008; 30: 1-20
- Public reporting of discharge planning and rates of readmissions.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2637-2645
111 th Congress. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Pub L No. 111–148 (Jan 5, 2010).
- Prediction is very hard, especially about the future: comment on “factors associated with 30-day readmission rates after percutaneous coronary intervention”.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 117-119
- The care transitions intervention: results of a randomized controlled trial.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1822-1828
- Posthospital care transitions: patterns, complications, and risk identification.Health Serv Res. 2004; 39: 1449-1465
- Risk prediction models for hospital readmission: a systematic review.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1688-1698
- Measuring fitness in healthy older adults: the Health ABC Long Distance Corridor Walk.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1544-1548
- Assessing gait speed in acutely ill older patients admitted to an acute care for elders hospital unit.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 353-358
- Early ambulation and length of stay in older adults hospitalized for acute illness.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1942-1943
- The circumvention of obstacles during walking in different environmental contexts: a comparison between older and younger adults.Gait Posture. 2006; 24: 364-369
- Trajectories of leg strength and gait speed among sedentary older adults: longitudinal pattern of dose response.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2003; 58: M1125-M1134
- Executive function and gait in older adults with cognitive impairment.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2008; 63: 1350-1355
- Depressive symptoms and gait dysfunction in the elderly.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012; 20: 425-432
- Elderly patients with hip fracture with positive affect have better functional recovery over 2 years.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 1074-1081
- Precision and accuracy of an ankle-worn accelerometer-based pedometer in step counting and energy expenditure.Prev Med. 2005; 41: 778-783
- Measurement of activity in older adults: reliability and validity of the Step Activity Monitor.J Nurs Meas. 2001; 9: 275-290
- Ambulatory activity of older adults hospitalized with acute medical illness.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 91-95
- Physical functioning of the aged.Vital Health Stat 10. 1989 Mar; : 1-48
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- The underrecognized epidemic of low mobility during hospitalization of older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 1660-1665
- Prescribing for older people discharged from the acute sector to residential aged-care facilities.Intern Med J. 2014; 44: 1034-1037
- The inconsistency of “optimal” cutpoints obtained using two criteria based on the receiver operating characteristic curve.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 163: 670-675
- Understanding diagnostic tests 3: receiver operating characteristic curves.Acta Paediatr. 2007; 96: 644-647
- Hospitalization and development of dependence in activities of daily living in a cohort of disabled older women: the Women's Health and Aging Study I.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 888-893
- Recovery of activities of daily living in older adults after hospitalization for acute medical illness.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 2171-2179
- Factors that differentiate level of ambulation in hospitalised older adults.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 107-111
- Number of pedometer-assessed steps taken per day by adults: a descriptive meta-analysis.Phys Ther. 2007; 87: 1642-1650
- Mobility after hospital discharge as a marker for 30-day readmission.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68: 805-810
- Bundling acute and postacute payment: from a culture of compliance to a culture of innovation and best practice.Phys Ther. 2010; 90: 658-662
Supported in part by the National Institutes of Health (grant nos. R01 AG031178, P30 AG024832, R01 HD069443, R24 HD065702, and K12 HD055929) and the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research (grant no. 90IF0071).
Publication of this article was supported by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.