- •Most persons with spinal cord injury should be considered at risk of falls.
- •Ambulatory, younger, and more active persons had higher risks of falls.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:AIS (American Spinal Injury Association Impairment Scale), SCI (spinal cord injury), SCIM III (Spinal Cord Independence Measure version III)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Functional abilities, incidences of complications and falls of patients with spinal cord injury 6 months after discharge.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 520-524
- Incidence and factors associated with falls in independent ambulatory individuals with spinal cord injury: a 6-month prospective study.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 1061-1072
- Falls in individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2007; 45: 37-40
- Falls in persons with spinal cord injury: validity and reliability of the Berg Balance Scale.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2010; 24: 70-77
- Wheelchair-related falls in veterans with spinal cord injury residing in the community: a prospective cohort study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1166-1173
- Wheelchair-related accidents: relationship with wheelchair-using behavior in active community wheelchair users.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 892-898
- Falls among adults aging with disability.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 464-471
- Falls in community-dwelling adults aged 50 years and older: prevalence and contributing factors.J Allied Health. 2009; 38: 201-207
- Falls in people with multiple sclerosis compared with falls in healthy controls.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e107620
- Prospective assessment of falls in Parkinson's disease.J Neurol. 2001; 248: 950-958
- The risk of falling in young adults with neurological conditions: a systematic review.Disabil Rehabil. 2014; 36: 963-977
- Falls in independent ambulatory patients with spinal cord injury: incidence, associated factors and levels of ability.Spinal Cord. 2013; 51: 365-368
- A pilot study of factors associated with falls in individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2007; 30: 243-250
- Ability of obstacle crossing is not associated with falls in independent ambulatory patients with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2015; 53: 598-603
- Functional assessments for predicting multiple falls in independent ambulatory patients with spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2015; 38: 439-445
- Seasonal variations in incidence of fractures among elderly people.Inj Prev. 2000; 6: 16-19
- Very frequent fallers and future fall injury: continuous risk among community-dwelling home care recipients.J Aging Health. 2016; 28: 587-599
- Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: the Prevention of Falls Network Europe consensus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1618-1622
- Neuropsychological, balance, and mobility risk factors for falls in people with multiple sclerosis: a prospective cohort study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 480-486
- Risk of falling: predictors based on reduced strength in persons previously affected by polio.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 757-763
- International standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury (revised 2011).J Spinal Cord Med. 2011; 34: 535-546
World Health Organization. International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) checklist. Available at: http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/icfchecklist.pdf?ua=12001. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Preliminary reliability and validity of a Spinal Cord Injury Secondary Conditions Scale.J Spinal Cord Med. 2007; 30: 131-139
- Intrathecal baclofen for severe spinal spasticity.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 1517-1521
- Clinical assessment of spasticity in spinal cord injury: a multidimensional problem.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 713-716
Sweden PHAO (Public Health Agency of Sweden). Available at: http://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/nationella-folkhalsoenkaten/. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Activity involvement, risk-taking, demographic variables, and other drug use: prediction of trying smokeless tobacco.NCI Monogr. 1989; : 57-62
National guidelines/the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare. Available at: http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/nationalguidelines. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Interrater reliability of a modified Ashworth scale of muscle spasticity.Phys Ther. 1987; 67: 206-207
- Simple method for measurement of lower extremity muscle strength.Am J Med. 1985; 78: 77-81
- The Spinal Cord Independence Measure (SCIM) version III: reliability and validity in a multi-center international study.Disabil Rehabil. 2007; 29: 1926-1933
- SCIM III is reliable and valid in a separate analysis for traumatic spinal cord lesions.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 292-296
- Assessing walking ability in subjects with spinal cord injury: validity and reliability of 3 walking tests.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 190-196
- The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Walking Index for Spinal Cord Injury (WISCI II): scale revision.Spinal Cord. 2001; 39: 654-656
- Five additional mobility and locomotor items to improve responsiveness of the FIM in wheelchair-dependent individuals with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2006; 44: 495-504
- The relationship between sitting stability and functional performance in patients with paraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 1276-1281
- A Falls Concern Scale for people with spinal cord injury (SCI-FCS).Spinal Cord. 2010; 48: 704-709
- Concerns about falling in wheelchair users with spinal cord injury—validation of the Swedish version of the Spinal Cord Injury Falls Concern Scale.Spinal Cord. 2016; 54: 115-119
- Evaluating the Swedish version of the Falls Efficacy Scale-International (FES-I).Adv Physiother. 2009; 11: 81-87
- Development and initial validation of the Falls Efficacy Scale-International (FES-I).Age Ageing. 2005; 34: 614-619
- A prospective study of the relationship between feared consequences of falling and avoidance of activity in community-living older people.Gerontologist. 2002; 42: 17-23
- Falls efficacy as a measure of fear of falling.J Gerontol. 1990; 45: 239-243
- The Falls Efficacy Scale International (FES-I). A comprehensive longitudinal validation study.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 210-216
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- The Fatigue Severity Scale: application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.Arch Neurol. 1989; 46: 1121-1123
- Fatigue in the general population: a translation and test of the psychometric properties of the Norwegian version of the Fatigue Severity Scale.Scand J Public Health. 2005; 33: 123-130
- International Spinal Cord Injury Quality of Life Basic Data Set.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 672-675
- Development and preliminary testing of the new five-level version of EQ-5D (EQ-5D-5L).Qual Life Res. 2011; 20: 1727-1736
- Medical complications and falls in patients with spinal cord injury during the immediate phase after completing a rehabilitation program.J Spinal Cord Med. 2015; 38: 84-90
- Injuries and falls in an aging cohort with spinal cord injury: SCI Aging Study.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2015; 21: 201-207
- Factors associated with risk for subsequent injuries after traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1503-1508
- Gender differences in risk taking: a meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 1999; 125: 367-383
- Trends in new injuries, prevalent cases, and aging with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 332-338
- Risk of fall-related injuries among ambulatory participants with spinal cord injury.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2013; 19: 259-266
Supported by Sunnaas Rehabilitation Hospital, Rehab Station Stockholm, Neuro Sweden, Praktikertjänst, Promobilia, The Spinalis Foundation, and the Doctoral School in Health Care Sciences, Karolinska Institutet.