- •The smartphone application showed a relatively wide agreement of elbow extension range of motion during the Upper Limb Neurodynamic Test 1.
- •A better agreement was found at maximal pain tolerance than at the onset of pain.
- •Results regarding maximal pain tolerance are comparable with those using goniometers.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), EE-ROM (elbow extension range of motion), LOA (limits of agreement), MDC95 (minimal detectable change at the 95% confidence level), ULNT1 (Upper Limb Neurodynamic Test 1)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Management of peripheral neuropathic pain: Integrating neurobiology, neurodynamics, and clinical evidence.Phys Ther Sport. 2006; 7: 36-49
- An experimental pain model to investigate the specificity of the neurodynamic test for the median nerve in the differential diagnosis of hand symptoms.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1412-1417
- The sensitive nervous system.NoiGroup Publications, Unley2000
- Clinical neurodynamics: a new system of musculoskeletal treatment.Elsevier Health Sciences, Edinburgh2005
- Concordance of upper limb neurodynamic tests with medical examination and magnetic resonance imaging in patients with cervical radiculopathy: a diagnostic cohort study.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2013; 36: 626-632
- The validity of upper-limb neurodynamic tests for detecting peripheral neuropathic pain.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42: 413-424
- Aberrant protective force generation during neural provocation testing and the effect of treatment in patients with neurogenic cervicobrachial pain.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2003; 26: 99-106
- Mechanosensitivity of the median nerve and mechanically produced motor responses during Upper Limb Neurodynamic Test 1.Physiotherapy. 2005; 91: 94-100
- Do 'sliders' slide and 'tensioners' tension? An analysis of neurodynamic techniques and considerations regarding their application.Man Ther. 2008; 13: 213-221
- Within-day reliability of shoulder range of motion measurement with a smartphone.Man Ther. 2012; 17: 298-304
- Scapular positioning assessment: is side-to-side comparison clinically acceptable?.Man Ther. 2013; 18: 46-53
- Mobile smartphone applications for body position measurement in rehabilitation: a review of goniometric tools.PM R. 2014; 6: 1038-1043
- Reliability and concurrent validity of a Smartphone, bubble inclinometer and motion analysis system for measurement of hip joint range of motion.J Sci Med Sport. 2015; 18: 262-267
- Reliability and concurrent validity of knee angle measurement: smart phone app versus universal goniometer used by experienced and novice clinicians.Man Ther. 2014; 19: 569-574
- Validation of an innovative method of shoulder range-of-motion measurement using a smartphone clinometer application.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23: e275-e282
- Reliability of a smartphone-based goniometer for knee joint goniometry.Int J Rehabil Res. 2013; 36: 146-151
- Validity and reliability of smartphone magnetometer-based goniometer evaluation of shoulder abduction - a pilot study.Man Ther. 2015; 20: 777-782
- Concurrent validity and reliability of the simple goniometer iPhone app compared with the universal goniometer.Physiother Theory Pract. 2014; 30: 512-516
- Guidelines for Reporting Reliability and Agreement Studies (GRRAS) were proposed.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 96-106
- Measuring leg-length discrepancy by the “iliac crest palpation and book correction” method: reliability and validity.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 938-942
- Reliability and criterion validity of two applications of the iPhoneTM to measure cervical range of motion in healthy participants.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2013; 10: 69
- Reliability of detecting ‘onset of pain’ and ‘submaximal pain’ during neural provocation testing of the upper quadrant.Physiother Res Int. 2002; 7: 146-156
- Anatomy and biomechanics of the elbow.Orthop Clin North Am. 2008; 39: 141-154
- Vortical flow in human elbow joints: a three-dimensional computed tomography modeling study.J Anat. 2014; 225: 390-394
- When to use agreement versus reliability measures.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 1033-1039
- Measuring agreement in method comparison studies.Stat Methods Med Res. 1999; 8: 135-160
- A study to explore the reliability and precision of intra and inter-rater measures of ULNT1 on an asymptomatic population.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 203-206
- Asymmetry of the ULNT1 elbow extension range-of-motion in a healthy population: consequences for clinical practice and research.Phys Ther Sport. 2012; 13: 141-149
- Normal response to Upper Limb Neurodynamic Test 1 and 2A.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 125-130
- Side-to-side range of movement variability in variants of the median and radial neurodynamic test sequences in asymptomatic people.Man Ther. 2014; 19: 338-342
- Reliability of upper limb tension test 1 in normal subjects and patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.J Back Musculoskeletal Rehabil. 2012; 25: 209-214
- Reliability and validity of goniometric iPhone applications for the assessment of active shoulder external rotation.Physiother Theory Pract. 2014; 30: 521-525
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT02159924.