Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), MWC (manual wheelchair), PWC (power wheelchair), SCI (spinal cord injury), SCIMS (Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Guidelines on the provision of manual wheelchairs in less resourced settings.World Health Organization, Geneva2008
- Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems 2014 annual report.University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham2014
- Wheelchair repairs, breakdown, and adverse consequences for people with traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 2034-2038
- Increases in wheelchair breakdowns, repairs, and adverse consequences for people with traumatic spinal cord injury.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 463-469
- Differences between manufacturers in reported power wheelchair repairs and adverse consequences among people with spinal cord injuries.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 597-603
- Issues in the maintenance and repairs of wheelchairs: a pilot study.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2005; 42: 853-862
National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. Definition and eligibility criteria 2011-2016. Available at: https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/definition_eligibility.aspx. Accessed January 9, 2016.
- Guide for use of the CHART: Craig Handicap Assessment and Reporting Technique.Craig Hospital, Englewood1992
The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare. What's Medicare? Available at: https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/decide-how-to-get-medicare/whats-medicare/what-is-medicare.html. Accessed March 13, 2016.
The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare. Medicaid. Available at: https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/help-paying-costs/medicaid/medicaid.html. Accessed March 13, 2016.
- Your chi-square test is statistically significant: now what? Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation. 20. 2015: 10
- Patient satisfaction: an indicator of quality in disablement services centres.Qual Health Care. 1995; 4: 31-36
- Evaluation of selected ultralight manual wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 462-467
- Nonfatal wheelchair-related accidents reported to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 73: 163-167
- Wheelchair safety-adverse reports to the United States Food and Drug Administration.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 74: 308-312
- Evaluation of titanium ultralight manual wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2008; 45: 1251-1267
- Evaluation of aluminum ultralight rigid wheelchairs versus other ultralight wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010; 47: 441-455
- Evaluation of lightweight wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA testing standards.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2013; 50: 1373-1390
- Relationship between wheelchair durability and wheelchair type and years of test.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2010; 5: 318-322
- Designed to fail: the Medicare auction for durable medical equipment.Economic Inquiry. 2015; 53: 469-485
- Competitive bidding's impact on power mobility devices.in: Parks D. HomeCare The Leading Business Magazine for HMW Professionals. 2013
The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare. Competitive bidding program. Available at: https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/part-b/competitive-bidding-program.html. Accessed March 13, 2016.
- Durability, value, and reliability of selected electric powered wheelchairs.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 805-814
- Fewer accidents and better maintenance with active wheelchair check-ups: a randomized controlled clinical trial.Clin Rehabil. 2004; 8: 631-639
- Wheelchair-related accidents: relationship with wheelchair-using behavior in active community wheelchair users.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 892-898
- Wheelchair rider injuries: cause and consequences for wheelchair design and selection.J Rehabil Res Dev. 1997; 34: 58-71
Orzel T. Labor tracker tackles wheelchair repairs. Available at: http://www.hmenews.com/article/labor-tracker-tackles-wheelchair-repairs. Accessed July 1, 2015.
World Health Organization. Wheelchair service training package - basic level. Available at: http://www.who.int/disabilities/technology/wheelchairpackage/en/. Accessed October 24, 2014.
Current affiliation for Toro, Department of Physical Therapy and School of Medicine, CES University, Medellin, Colombia.
Supported by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research, United States Department of Health and Human Services (grant no. H133N060019).
The contents of this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the U.S. Department Health and Human Services or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
R.A.C. reports financial relations with Accessible Design and Three Rivers Holdings, outside the submitted work. The other authors have nothing to disclose.