List of abbreviations:BPI (brachial plexus injury), cSCI (cervical spinal cord injury), EDC (extensor digitorum communis), EPL (extensor pollicis longus), IPJ (interphalangeal joint), MCPJ (metacarpophalangeal joint), MRC (Medical Research Council), PIN (posterior interosseous nerve)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Surgical treatment for absent single hand grip and elbow extension in quadriplegia: principles and preliminary experience.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1975; 57: 196-206
- Tendon versus nerve transfers in elbow, wrist, and hand reconstruction. A literature review.Hand Clin. 2013; 29: 393-400
- Single-stage surgery combining nerve and tendon transfers for bilateral upper limb reconstruction in a tetraplegic patient: case report.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2013; 38: 1366-1369
- Transfer of the teres minor motor branch for triceps reinnervation in tetraplegia: case report.J Neurosurg. 2011; 114: 1457-1460
- Nerve transfers in tetraplegia 1: Background and technique.Surg Neurol Int. 2011; 2: 121
- Nerve transfers for the restoration of hand function after spinal cord injury: case report.J Neurosurg. 2012; 117: 176-185
- Upper limb reinnervation in C6 tetraplegia using a triple nerve transfer: case report.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2014; 39: 1779-1783
- Transfer of supinator motor branches to the posterior interosseous nerve to reconstruct thumb and finger extension in tetraplegia: case report.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2010; 35: 1647-1651
- Clinical outcomes following median to radial nerve transfers.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2011; 36: 201-208
- Transfer of brachialis branch of musculocutaneous nerve for finger flexion: anatomic study and case report.Microsurgery. 2004; 24: 358-362
- Transfer of supinator motor branches to the posterior interosseous nerve in C7-T1 brachial plexus palsy.J Neurosurg. 2010; 113: 129-132
- Clinical use of supinator motor branch transfer to the posterior interosseous nerve in C7-T1 brachial plexus palsies.J Neurosurg. 2010; 113: 113-117
- Rehabilitation following motor nerve transfers.Hand Clin. 2008; 24: 417-423
- Peripheral Nerve Injuries Medical Research Council Special Report Series No 282.Her Majesties Stationery Office, London1954
- Anatomical feasibility of transferring supinator motor branches to the posterior interosseous nerve in C7-T1 brachial plexus palsies: laboratory investigation.J Neurosurg. 2009; 111: 326-331
- Nerve transfers.Hand Clin. 2012; 28: 571-577
- Supercharged end-to-side anterior interosseous to ulnar motor nerve transfer for intrinsic musculature reinnervation.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2012; 37: 2150-2159
- Hand function after nerve repair.Acta Physiol. 2007; 189: 207-217
- Median to radial nerve transfers for restoration of wrist, finger, and thumb extension.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2013; 38: 1812-1827
- The measurement of joint motion; the technic of goniometry.Phys Ther Rev. 1949; 29: 256-264
- Fifty years of somatosensory research: from the Semmes-Weinstein monofilaments to the Weinstein Enhanced Sensory Test.J Hand Ther. 1993; 6 (discussion 50): 11-22
- International Spinal Cord Injury Pain Classification: Part I. Background and description.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 413-417
- The Spinal Cord Independence Measure (SCIM) version III: reliability and validity in a multi-center international study.Disabil Rehabil. 2007; 29: 1926-1933
- The Canadian occupational performance measure: an outcome measure for occupational therapy.Can J Occup Ther. 1990; 57: 82-87
- Cortical plasticity following nerve transfer in the upper extremity.Hand Clin. 2008; 24 (vi-vii): 425-444
Beers AD, Ivens R, Kahn LC, Mackinnon SE. Functional outcome following nerve transfer surgery for C5-C7 brachial plexus palsy are improved with DAFRA rehabilitation technique. American Association for Hand Surgery; 2015 Jan 21-24; Paradise Island, Bahamas. Available at: meeting.handsurgery.org/files/2015/Presentations/P85.pdf. Accessed December 2, 2015.
- Neuroplasticity of prehensile neural networks after quadriplegia.Neuroscience. 2014; 274: 82-92
- Neuroplasticity of imagined wrist actions after spinal cord injury: a pilot study.Exp Brain Res. 2014; 233: 291-302
- Wallerian degeneration: gaining perspective on inflammatory events after peripheral nerve injury.J Neuroinflammation. 2011; 8: 110
- Cortical reorganization following neurotization: a diffusion tensor imaging and functional magnetic resonance imaging study.Neurosurgery. 2012; 70: 1305-1311
- New type of cortical neuroplasticity after nerve repair in brachial plexus lesions.Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 1467-1470
Presented to the 11th International Meeting on Surgical Rehabilitation of the Tetraplegia Upper Limb, June 6-9, 2013, Hong Kong; and the Australian and New Zealand Spinal Cord Society, November 19-21, 2014, Auckland, New Zealand.
Publication of this article was supported by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.