Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BR (brachioradialis), CI (confidence interval), COPM (Canadian Occupational Performance Measure), FPL (flexor pollicis longus), IC (International Classification for Surgery of the Hand in Tetraplegia), MMT (manual muscle test), SCI (spinal cord injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Brachioradialis to flexor pollicis longus tendon transfer for active lateral pinch in the tetraplegic.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1985; 10: 385-391
- Surgical treatments to restore function control in spinal cord injury.Handb Clin Neurol. 2012; 109: 167-179
- Muscles testing and function.Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1971
- Pinch and elbow extension restoration in people with tetraplegia: a systematic review of the literature.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2009; 34: 692-699
- Identification of key pinch forces required to complete functional tasks.J. Rehabil Res Dev. 2004; 41: 215-224
- Grip and pinch strength: normative data for adults.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1985; 66: 69-72
- Grip and pinch strength norms for 6- to 19-year olds.Am J Occup Ther. 1986; 40: 705-711
- Surgical rehabilitation of the upper limb in tetraplegia.WB Saunders, London2002
- Functional hand surgery following tetraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 86-94
- Spinal cord injury.Disabil Rehabil. 2002; 24: 680-687
- New rehabilitation interventions in spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2004; 27: 342-350
- Biceps-to-triceps transfer technique.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2011; 36: 716-721
- Activation of brachioradialis muscles transferred to restore lateral pinch in tetraplegia.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2006; 31: 747-753
- The Canadian Occupational Performance Measure: a research and clinical literature review.Can J Occup Ther. 2004; 71: 210-222
- Tendon transfer surgery for people with tetraplegia: an overview.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: S75-S80
- Understanding and overcoming barriers to upper limb surgical reconstruction after tetraplegia: the need for interdisciplinary collaboration.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: S81-S87
- A simulation analysis of the combined effects of muscle strength and surgical tensioning on lateral pinch force following brachioradialis to flexor pollicis longus transfer.J Biomech. 2011; 44: 669-675
- Effect of triceps function on the brachioradialis transfer in quadriplegia.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1987; 12: 237-239
- Biceps-to-triceps transfer for restoration of elbow extension in tetraplegia.Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2003; 7: 43-51
- Comparison of wrist and elbow stabilization following pinch reconstruction in tetraplegia.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2011; 36: 480-485
- Mechanical strength of the side-to-side versus Pulvertaft weave tendon repair.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2010; 35: 540-545
- Structural and mechanical integrity of tendon-to-tendon attachments used in upper limb tendon transfer surgery.J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2012; 46: 262-266
- Massed practice versus massed practice with stimulation: effects on upper extremity function and cortical plasticity in individuals with incomplete cervical spinal cord injury.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2005; 19: 33-45
- Cortical vs. afferent stimulation as an adjunct to functional task practice training: a randomized, comparative pilot study in people with cervical spinal cord injury.Clin Rehabil. 2015; 29: 771-782
- ToCUEST: A task-oriented client-centered training module to improve upper extremity skilled performance in cervical spinal cord-injured persons.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 1042-1048
- Evaluation of a task-oriented client-centered upper extremity skilled performance training module in persons with tetraplegia.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 1049-1054
- Outcome of motor training programmes on arm and hand functioning in patients with cervical spinal cord injury according to different levels of the ICF: a systematic review.J Rehabil Med. 2009; 41: 497-505
- Biomechanical properties of the brachioradialis muscle: implications for surgical tendon transfer.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2005; 30: 273-282
- Variability in surgical technique for brachioradialis tendon transfer. Evidence and implications.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2006; 88: 2009-2016
Murray WM, Lee JJ, Johanson ME, et al. A multicenter assessment of surgical tensioning of the brachioradialis to flexor pollicis longus tendon transfer. 2010 International Meeting on Surgical Rehabilitation of the Tetraplegic Upper Limb; 2010 Sept 20-22; Paris, France.
The research described here was supported by the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Rehabilitation Research and Development Service. Award number A4069-R, Vincent R Hentz, Surgical Service, Palo Alto Health Care System. Supported also by Searle Funds of the Chicago Community Trust.
Publication of this article was supported by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.