Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ATM (automated teller machine), BR (brachioradialis), EMG (electromyogram), FPL (flexor pollicis longus), MVC (maximum voluntary contraction), PD (posterior deltoid), SCI (spinal cord injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Surgical rehabilitation of the upper limb in tetraplegia.WB Saunders, London2002
- Surgical rehabilitation of the tetraplegic upper extremity.J Neuro Rehab. 1991; 5: 75-87
- Activation of brachioradialis muscles transferred to restore lateral pinch in tetraplegia.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 747-753
- Brachioradialis to flexor pollicis longus tendon transfer for active lateral pinch in the tetraplegic.J Hand Surg Am. 1985; 10: 385-391
- A synthesis of best evidence for the restoration of upper-extremity function in people with tetraplegia.Physiother Can. 2011; 63: 474-489
- Surgical strategy: matching the patient with the procedure.Hand Clin. 2002; 18: 503-518
- Enhancing upper extremity function with reconstructive surgery in persons with tetraplegia: a review of the literature.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2007; 13: 58-80
- Pinch and elbow extension restoration in people with tetraplegia: a systematic review of the literature.J Hand Surg. 2009; 34: 692-699
- The unoperated hand: the role of passive forces in hand function after tetraplegia.Hand Clin. 2002; 18: 391-398
- Effect of triceps function on the brachioradialis transfer in quadriplegia.J Hand Surg Am. 1987; 12: 237-239
- The effect of task demand on pinch force magnitude in subjects with spinal cord injury.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2007; 31: 197-198
- The outcome of tendon transfers for C6-spared quadriplegics.J Hand Surg Br. 1998; 23: 156-161
- Neuromuscular adaptations during the acquisition of muscle strength, power and motor tasks.J Biomech. 1993; 26: 95-107
- Performance and physiologic adaptations to resistance training.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 81: S3-S16
- Identification of key pinch forces required to complete functional tasks.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2004; 41: 215-224
- Thomas L. DeLorme and the science of progressive resistance exercise.J Strength Cond Res. 2012; 26: 2913-2923
- Optimal resistance training: comparison of DeLorme with Oxford techniques.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 82: 903-909
- Infusing motor learning research into neurorehabilitation practice: a historical perspective with case exemplar from the accelerated skill acquisition program.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2014; 38: 190-200
- Changes in muscle coordination with training.J Appl Physiol. 2006; 101: 1506-1513
- Massed practice versus massed practice with stimulation: effects on upper extremity function and cortical plasticity in individuals with incomplete cervical spinal cord injury.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2005; 19: 33-45
- Sensory stimulation augments the effects of massed practice training in persons with tetraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 602-608
- Structural and mechanical integrity of tendon-to-tendon attachments used in upper limb tendon transfer surgery.J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2012; 46: 262-266
- Early active rehabilitation after grip reconstructive surgery in tetraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: S117-S125
The research described here was supported by the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Rehabilitation Research and Development Service, Career Development Award B6857 and B0583-P, M. Elise Johanson, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Research Service.
Publication of this article was supported by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.