Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), IQR (interquartile range), SCI (spinal cord injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Targeting recovery: priorities of the spinal cord-injured population.J Neurotrauma. 2004; 21: 1371-1383
- Survey of the needs of patients with spinal cord injury: impact and priority for improvement in hand function in tetraplegics.Spinal Cord. 2004; 42: 526-532
- Tendon transfers in patients with cervical spinal cord injury.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1991; 16: 804-809
- Surgical treatment for absent single-hand grip and elbow extension in quadriplegia. Principles and preliminary experience.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1975; 57: 196-206
- Surgery for the quadriplegic hand with active, strong wrist extension preserved.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1975; 112: 101-113
- Surgical reconstruction of the upper limb in traumatic tetraplegia.J Hand Surg [Br]. 1983; 65: 291-298
- Restoration of strong grasp and lateral pinch in tetraplegia: a comparison of two methods of thumb control in each patient.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1985; 10: 21-29
- Upper limb surgery in tetraplegia.J Hand Surg [Br]. 1992; 74: 873-879
- Results of reconstructive surgery in the upper limb of tetraplegia patients.Paraplegia. 1988; 26: 204-208
- Upper extremity reconstruction in the tetraplegic population, a national epidemiologic study.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2005; 30: 94-99
- Upper limb reconstructive surgery uptake for persons with tetraplegia in New Zealand: a retrospective case review 2001-5.Spinal Cord. 2010; 48: 832-837
- Acceptable benefits and risks associated with surgically improving arm function in individuals living with cervical spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2009; 47: 334-338
- Perceived outcomes and utilization of upper extremity surgical reconstruction in individuals with tetraplegia at model spinal cord injury services.Spinal Cord. 2004; 42: 169-176
- Issues influencing the decision to have upper limb surgery for people with tetraplegia.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 844-847
- Liminality and decision making for upper limb surgery in tetraplegia: a grounded theory.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 1293-1301
- The development of the NZ based International Upper Limb Surgery Registry.Spinal Cord. 2014; 52: 611-615
- Constructing grounded theory: a practical guide through qualitative analysis.Sage, London2006
- Traumatic and non-traumatic spinal cord impairment in New Zealand: incidence and characteristics of people admitted to spinal units.Inj Prev. 2012; 18: 343-346
Statistics New Zealand. 2013 Census QuickStats about Maori. 2013. Available at: http://www.stats.govt.nz/Census/2013-census/profile-and-summary-reports/quickstats-about-maori-english.aspx. Accessed February 22, 2015.
- Longitudinal outcomes in spinal cord injury: aging, secondary conditions, and well-being.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 1429-1434
- Aging with spinal cord injury.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2010; 21: 383-402
Charmaz K. Struggling for a self: Identity levels of the chronically ill. In: Roth J, Conrad P, editors. The experience and management of chronic illness. Research in the sociology of health care. Greenwich: JAI Press; 1987. p 283-321.
- The importance of hope in coping with severe acquired disability.Australian Social Work. 2010; 63: 83-102
- Life impacts following reconstructive hand surgery for tetraplegia.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2009; 15: 90-97
- Experience of rehabilitation following spinal cord injury: a meta-synthesis of qualitative findings.Spinal Cord. 2007; 45: 260-274
- Gender differences in patient preferences may underlie differential utilization of elective surgery.Am J Med. 1997; 102: 524-530
- Personal meanings in the construction of need for total knee replacement surgery.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 63: 43-53
- Enhanced independence: experiences after regaining grip function in people with tetraplegia.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 1968-1974
- From regained function to daily use: experiences of surgical reconstruction of grip in people with tetraplegia.Disabil Rehabil. 2014; 36: 678-684
Publication of this article was supported by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.