Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:APCF (assisted peak cough flow), ASIA (American Spinal Injury Association), PCF (peak cough flow), UPCF (unassisted peak cough flow)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Outcome of mechanically ventilated patients who require a tracheostomy.Crit Care Med. 2005; 33: 290-298
- How is mechanical ventilation employed in the intensive care unit? An international utilization review.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 161: 1450-1458
- Noninvasive ventilation after intubation and mechanical ventilation.Eur Respir J. 2002; 19: 959-965
- Tracheostomy: complications and their management.Arch Otolaryngol. 1972; 96: 538-545
- A comparison of long-term ventilatory support alternatives from the perspective of the patient and care giver.Chest. 1993; 104: 1702-1706
- Ventilator weaning by lung expansion and decannulation.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 83: 560-568
- Determinants of tracheostomy decannulation: an international survey.Crit Care. 2008; 12: R26
- Predictors of successful decannulation using a tracheostomy retainer in patients with prolonged weaning and persisting respiratory failure.Respiration. 2012; 84: 469-476
- The technique of weaning from tracheostomy. Criteria for weaning: practical measures to prevent failure.J Crit Illn. 1995; 10: 729-733
- Special critical care considerations in tracheostomy management.Clin Chest Med. 1991; 12: 573-583
- Criteria for extubation and tracheostomy tube removal for patients with ventilatory failure: a different approach to weaning.Chest. 1996; 110: 1566-1571
- Analysis of pulmonary mechanics and the factors for coughing in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.J Korean Acad Rehabil Med. 2003; 27: 43-48
- The relationships of coughing to the respiratory muscle strength and pulmonary compliance in tetraplegic patients.J Korean Acad Rehabil Med. 2002; 26: 704-708
- Tracheostomy decannulation and cough peak flows in patients with neuromuscular weakness.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 666-670
- External control of exhalation for cough assistance: a method for patients with glottis dysfunction and/or tracheostomy.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1402-1407
- Prevention of pulmonary morbidity for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Chest. 1997; 112: 1024-1028
- Noninvasive ventilation.in: Bach J.R. Guide to the evaluation and management of neuromuscular disease. Hanley & Belfus, Philadelphia1999: 89-122
- An evaluation of assisted cough in quadriparetic patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1966; 47: 705-710
- APPENDIX A: American Spinal Injury Association Standard Neurological Classification of Spinal Cord Injury.Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2011; 17: 644-645
- Pathophysiology of cough.Clin Chest Med. 1987; 8: 189-195
- Global physiology and pathophysiology of cough: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2006; 129: 48s-53s
- Cough assistance device for patients with glottis dysfunction and/or tracheostomy.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 351-354
Supported by a faculty research grant from the Yonsei University College of Medicine for 2014 (grant no. 6-2014-0015).
Disclosures: S.-W.K. holds a patent for a device for assisting cough and lung expansion in patients with paralytic bulbar musculature (patent no. 100516324). The other authors have nothing to disclose.