To develop a comprehensive set of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) categories as a minimal standard for reporting and assessing functioning and disability in clinical populations along the continuum of care. The specific aims were to specify the domains of functioning recommended for an ICF Rehabilitation Set and to identify a minimal set of environmental factors (EFs) to be used alongside the ICF Rehabilitation Set when describing disability across individuals and populations with various health conditions.
Secondary analysis of existing data sets using regression methods (Random Forests and Group Lasso regression) and expert consultations.
Along the continuum of care, including acute, early postacute, and long-term and community rehabilitation settings.
Persons (N=9863) with various health conditions participated in primary studies. The number of respondents for whom the dependent variable data were available and used in this analysis was 9264.
Main Outcome Measures
For regression analyses, self-reported general health was used as a dependent variable. The ICF categories from the functioning component and the EF component were used as independent variables for the development of the ICF Rehabilitation Set and the minimal set of EFs, respectively.
Thirty ICF categories to be complemented with 12 EFs were identified as relevant to the identified ICF sets. The ICF Rehabilitation Set constitutes of 9 ICF categories from the component body functions and 21 from the component activities and participation. The minimal set of EFs contains 12 categories spanning all chapters of the EF component of the ICF.
The identified sets proposed serve as minimal generic sets of aspects of functioning in clinical populations for reporting data within and across heath conditions, time, clinical settings including rehabilitation, and countries. These sets present a reference framework for harmonizing existing information on disability across general and clinical populations.
List of abbreviations:EF (environmental factor), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), MDS (Model Disability Survey), WHO (World Health Organization)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- World report on disability.World Health Organization, Geneva2011
- International classification of functioning, disability and health.World Health Organization, Geneva2001
- Equity, social determinants and public health programmes.World Health Organization, Geneva2010
- Monitoring the United Nation’s Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: data and the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: S8
- Global disability action plan 2014-2012: better health for people with disability.World Health Organization, Geneva2014
- Incorporating the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health (ICF) into an electronic health record to create indicators of function: proof of concept using the SF-12.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2004; 11: 514-522
- Functioning assessment vs. conventional medical assessment: a comparative study on health professionals’ clinical decision-making and the fit with patient’s own perspective of health.J Clin Nurs. 2014; 23: 1044-1054
- Using a case report of a patient with spinal cord injury to illustrate the application of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health during multidisciplinary patient management.Phys Ther. 2010; 90: 1039-1052
- Does the addition of functional status indicators to case-mix adjustment indices improve prediction of hospitalization, institutionalization, and death in the elderly?.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1194-1202
- Towards a common disability assessment framework: theoretical and methodological issues for providing public services and benefits using ICF.Disabil Rehabil. 2009; 31: S8-S15
- Using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health Children and Youth version in education systems: a new approach to eligibility.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: S97-S102
- The English are healthier than the Americans: really?.Int J Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 229-238
- Counting disability: global and national estimation.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 1065-1069
- A comparison of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health to the disability tax credit.Can J Occup Ther. 2007; 74: 281-287
- Towards a minimal generic set of domains of functioning and health.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 218
- The International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health: a unifying model for the conceptual description of the rehabilitation strategy.J Rehabil Med. 2007; 39: 279-285
- ICF Research Branch. ICF Core Sets in clinical practice. 2015 (Available at:)Accessed May 15, 2015)
- Random forests.Mach Learn. 2001; 45: 5-32
- Model selection and estimation in regression with grouped variables.J R Stat Soc Series B Stat Methodol. 2006; 68: 49-67
- The group Lasso for logistic regression.J R Stat Soc Series B Stat Methodol. 2008; 70: 53-71
- The elements of statistical learning: data mining, inference and prediction.Springer, New York2009
- Selection of ordinally scaled independent variables with applications to international classification of functioning core sets.J R Stat Soc Ser C Appl Stat. 2011; 60: 377-395
- Penalized regression with ordinal predictors.Int Stat Rev. 2009; 77: 345-365
- Biological health or lived health: which predicts self-reported general health better?.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 189
- Social inequalities, stressors and self reported health status among African American and white women in the Detroit metropolitan area.Soc Sci Med. 2000; 51: 1639-1653
- How to score version 2 of the SF-36® Health Survey.Quality Metric Inc., Lincoln2000
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna2013
- ICF Core Sets development for the acute hospital and early post-acute rehabilitation facilities.Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 361-366
- ICF Core Sets for early post-acute rehabilitation facilities.J Rehabil Med. 2011; 43: 131-138
- ICF Core Set for patients with musculoskeletal conditions in early post-acute rehabilitation facilities.Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 405-410
- ICF Core Set for patients with cardiopulmonary conditions in early post-acute rehabilitation facilities.Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 397-404
- ICF Core Set for patients with neurological conditions in the acute hospital.Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 367-373
- ICF Core Set for geriatric patients in early post-acute rehabilitation facilities.Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 411-417
- Standardization of health information systems in South Africa: the challenge of local sustainability.Inf Technol Dev. 2006; 12: 225-239
- Building bridges between diseases, disabilities and assistive devices: linking the GBD, ICF and ISO 9999.World Health Organization, Geneva2010
- Promoting a standard for assistive technology service delivery.Technol Disabil. 2014; 26: 39-48
- An ideal model of an assistive technology assessment and delivery process.Technol Disabil. 2014; 26: 27-38
- Information and documentation—Thesauri and interoperability with other vocabularies—Part 1: Thesauri for information retrieval. ISO 25964-1:2011(E).The British Standards Institution, London2011
- Health informatics - Capacity-based eHealth architecture roadmap. Part 2: Architectural components and maturity model. PD ISO/TR 14639-2:2014.International Organization for Standardization, Geneva (Switzerland)2014
World Health Organization. Model Disability Survey. Available at: http://www.who.int/disabilities/data/mds/en/. Accessed November 4, 2014.
- Perspectives of patients with long term health conditions. Annex 10 to SemanticHealthNet Deliverable D3.3 of March 31, 2015. SemanticHealthNet.2015 (Available at:)Accessed August 21, 2015)
- The use of raw scores from ordinal scales: time to end malpractice?.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 97-98
Published online: January 28, 2016
© 2016 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine