- •Muscle weakness and functional impairments often persist for years after total knee arthroplasty.
- •Untrained women, older people with knee osteoarthritis, and patients after total knee arthroplasty achieve improvements of knee muscle strength through whole-body vibration training and progressive resistance training.
- •Both functional physiotherapy and leg-press training with moderate vibrations are effective in improving strength and function in patients after total knee arthroplasty.
- •Leg-press training involving moderate vibration is a safe, effective, and time-saving procedure in restoring muscle strength and functional capacity shortly after total knee arthroplasty.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BW (body weight), MVC (maximal voluntary contraction), ROM (range of motion), TKA (total knee arthroplasty), TUG (timed Up and Go), VAS (visual analog scale), WBV (whole-body vibration), WOMAC (Western Ontario and McMasters University Osteoarthritis Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Eurostat Statistics Database. 2015. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/de/data/database. Accessed January 26, 2016.
- Physical impairments and functional limitations: a comparison of individuals 1 year after total knee arthroplasty with control subjects.Phys Ther. 1998; 78: 248-258
- Predicting range of motion after revision total knee arthroplasty: clustering and log-linear regression analyses.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 338-343
- Reversing muscle and mobility deficits 1 to 4 years after TKA: a pilot study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 1493-1500
- Effectiveness of intensive rehabilitation on functional ability and quality of life after first total knee arthroplasty: a single-blind randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 546-556
- Outcomes before and after total knee arthroplasty compared to healthy adults.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010; 40: 559-567
- Physical exercise after knee arthroplasty: a systematic review of controlled trials.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2013; 49: 877-892
- Lower limb strength following total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review.Knee. 2014; 21: 12-20
- Effectiveness of physiotherapy exercise after knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 2007; 335: 812
- Quadriceps and hamstrings muscle dysfunction after total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 2460-2468
- Quadriceps femoris muscle function prior and after total knee arthroplasty in women with knee osteoarthritis.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012; 20: 2017-2025
- Muscle strength after successful total knee replacement: a 6- to 13-year followup.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996; : 147-154
- Improvement of voluntary quadriceps muscle activation after total knee arthroplasty.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1432-1436
- Total knee arthroplasty: muscle impairments, functional limitations, and recommended rehabilitation approaches.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008; 38: 246-256
- How to quantify knee function after total knee arthroplasty?.Knee. 2008; 15: 390-395
- Muscle deficits persist after unilateral knee replacement and have implications for rehabilitation.Phys Ther. 2009; 89: 1072-1079
- The Chitranjan Ranawat Award: the nonoperated knee predicts function 3 years after unilateral total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 37-44
- Measuring functional improvement after total knee arthroplasty requires both performance-based and patient-report assessments: a longitudinal analysis of outcomes.J Arthroplasty. 2011; 26: 728-737
- Knee strength after total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2003; 18: 605-611
- Preoperative quadriceps strength predicts functional ability one year after total knee arthroplasty.J Rheumatol. 2005; 32: 1533-1539
- Examining outcomes from total knee arthroplasty and the relationship between quadriceps strength and knee function over time.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008; 23: 320-328
- Improved function from progressive strengthening interventions after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial with an imbedded prospective cohort.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 174-183
- Muscle strength and exercise intensity adaptation to resistance training in older women with knee osteoarthritis and total knee arthroplasty.Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2011; 66: 2079-2084
- Early progressive strength training to enhance recovery after fast-track total knee arthroplasty. A randomized controlled trial.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014; 66: 1856-1866
- Effect of whole body vibration exercise on muscle strength and proprioception in females with knee osteoarthritis.Knee. 2009; 16: 256-261
- Efficacy of whole body vibration exercise in older people: a systematic review.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 883-893
- Strength increase after whole-body vibration compared with resistance training.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 1033-1041
- Whole-body-vibration training increases knee-extension strength and speed of movement in older women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 901-908
- Whole-body vibration strengthening compared to traditional strengthening during physical therapy in individuals with total knee arthroplasty.Physiother Theory Pract. 2010; 26: 215-225
- Effects of whole body vibration exercise associated with quadriceps resistance exercise on functioning and quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2015 Oct 1; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Effects of 8 weeks of vibration training at different frequencies (1 or 15 Hz) in senior sportsmen on torque and force development and of 1 year of training on muscle fibers.Neurol Res. 2010; 32: 26-31
- Effective exercises for targeting the gluteus medius.J Sport Rehabil. 2012; 21: 296-300
- Analysis of muscle activation during different leg press exercises at submaximum effort levels.J Strength Cond Res. 2008; 22: 1059-1065
- Functional performance and inflammatory cytokines after squat exercises and whole-body vibration in elderly individuals with knee osteoarthritis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 1692-1700
- Surgeon satisfaction agreement after total knee arthroplasty using a visual analogue scale: a single surgeon series.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2008; 128: 255-259
- [Evaluation of a German version of WOMAC (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities) Arthrosis Index].Z Rheumatol. 1996; 55 ([German]): 40-49
- Reliability of knee joint range of motion and circumference measurements after total knee arthroplasty: does tester experience matter?.Physiother Res Int. 2010; 15: 126-134
- The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Interrater reliability and validity of the stair ascend/descend test in subjects with total knee arthroplasty.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 932-938
- Normalized knee-extension strength or leg-press power after fast-track total knee arthroplasty: which measure is most closely associated with performance-based and self-reported function?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 384-390
- An eccentrically biased rehabilitation program early after TKA surgery.Arthritis. 2011; 2011: 353149
- Atrophy/hypertrophy cell signaling in muscles of young athletes trained with vibrational-proprioceptive stimulation.Neurol Res. 2011; 33: 998-1009
- Concordance between important change and acceptable symptom state following knee arthroplasty: the role of baseline scores.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2014; 22: 1107-1110
- Relationship between isometric thigh muscle strength and minimum clinically important differences in knee function in osteoarthritis: data from the osteoarthritis initiative.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015; 67: 509-518
- Responsiveness and clinically important differences for the WOMAC and SF-36 after total knee replacement.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15: 273-280
- Changes in pain and physical function during waiting time and 3 months after knee joint arthroplasty.J Rehabil Med. 2008; 40: 570-575
- Early changes in muscle strength after total knee arthroplasty. A 6-month follow-up of 30 knees.Acta Orthop Scand. 1999; 70: 176-179
- Quadriceps strength and the time course of functional recovery after total knee arthroplasty.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2005; 35: 424-436
- Comparison of clinic- and home-based rehabilitation programs after total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; : 225-234
- Age- and gender-related test performance in community-dwelling elderly people: Six-Minute Walk Test, Berg Balance Scale, Timed Up & Go Test, and gait speeds.Phys Ther. 2002; 82: 128-137
- Minimally invasive total knee arthroplasty improves early knee strength but not functional performance: a randomized controlled trial.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 1812-1819.e2
- Rehabilitation after total knee arthroplasty: a comparison of 2 rehabilitation techniques.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996; : 93-101
Supported by the European Region Development Fund (Interreg IIIA) and the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Culture (BM:BWK; grant no. BMWF-309.052).